It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:38 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi IM New here ive got a 12 weeks Old bengal Female kitten.
What food should i give Her? Which brand?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:02 am 
Senior Bengal

Hi and welcome to the forum. My kittens are just 14 weeks old and have been fed kibble all their lives. I am now slowly changing them to wet food first and will try raw a bit later on. I know feeding only dry kibble is bad in the long run as they need moisture trough their food. They never drink enough water to add to the dry kibble and they could get health problems from this later on (UTI for instance).

I am in Europe so I can't give you any brand names as I don't think they will be the same, but I would advise you to feed a good quality wet food (the higher meat content the better) and maybe look into feeding raw as well. There is premade raw food on the market for cats so you don't have to prepare it yourself if you don't want to, but it is important to look if it is a complete food.

Have fun with your new kitten, I am so happy mine are finally here!

Instagram: @snow_bengal_brothers #snow_bengal_brothers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:03 pm 
Bengal Kitten

My baby boy was exclusively raw fed from an early age (my non-Bengal ate Iams and pouches but immediately took to raw food so I dropped the pouches) baby Bengal wouldn't touch the dry food (or as we jokingly referred to it 'peasant food') however a few weeks ago we finally got our second Bengal who is actually the father of the baby boy, he ate Iams and pouches at the breeders as she had brought him into the breeding program and it was what he had been raised on, so again I dropped the pouches, he took to raw feeding and like the non-Bengal happily fed on dry and raw

However since the older Bengal arrived the younger one has started eating the Iams too so we're in a great position where they will all eat raw but when convenience is needed will also happily eat Iams - I'm sure they would eat others but Iams is our dry of choice

The great advantage is the lack of litter tray smells (it's not perfect but since no pouches have been in the house it is definitely better) and when examined by the vet, the youngest was declared to have the most amazing teeth (from the raw bones such as chicken drumsticks)

Ultimately what is best for them at 12 weeks old is whatever they will eat, but with an eye on making a decision that works for you and that can be implemented over the course of a few months

In case that all seems a bit complicated, here it is simply

Chui (10 months) used to raw feed, now eats raw and dry
Blaze (2 years, father of Chui) used to eat pouches and dry, now eats raw and dry
Frank (3 years - the only non-Bengal) used to eat pouches and dry, now eats raw and dry

the downside is that they are all neutered males so are prone to weight gain

edit - I should add that raw isn't an easy choice as you need to ensure things like taurine, bone, fish oils are incorporated into the diet, but if they dry feed too as long as that contains all the essentials the pressure is less intense

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Initially, you should continue the kitten on the food the breeder was feeding her. Then you can slowly transition to the type of food you want her to eat. Know the cat will have her own taste and you may have to seek out the brands and flavors that she will like. As a kitten, she is growing rapidly and needs to eat several times a day. Tummies are tiny at this age. Congratulations.