It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:11 pm 
Bengal Kitten

:question: I am going through the process of adopting a Bengal and am in the fortunate position of choosing one from four available (from different homes/backgrounds). They all appear to be well loved and well adjusted adult cats looking for a new home due owner reasons (relocating, no time etc).

They all look like they will be a great match to my rural home/environment so it is proving difficult to decide on which cat. Our previous cat was a great mouser/rabbiter and since her demise - I've noticed the numbers are growing. If the new cat was of this ilk, this would be an advantage to us and (I should think) nice for the cat to do what it enjoys. Less so enjoyable for the rodents!

One of the four potential cats has 'previous' on hunting but she is the least pretty (awwwww) and the other three - I've been told by their individual owners - would hunt, but just haven't had the ability in their existing homes.

I'm going to see them all again over the next week and was thinking of taking a 'tickler' or similar to test them out. Is this a bonkers idea or is there some logic in my testing!?! :rolleyes:

Any thoughts on hunting /Bengal traits most welcome.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:19 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Mimi and welcome to our forum. I think the fact that you're putting hunter/chaser as the most important thing in selecting your cat is a little weird. First of all, if you want a hunter/mouser, get a regular domestic cat. It's a less expensive way of eradicating the rodents. A bengal is not cheap and should be kept indoors and now allowed to roam free unless you do not have an issue with losing your investment.

All cats love to hunt. You just have to give them the opportunity and the prey! My bengal catches mice, baby squirrels, birds, and brings them in from his enclosure and lets them loose in the house. YUK. When we are on our walks, he chases moles. My other regular kitty plays with mice and then kills them and eats them (which is not good for any cat -- there are diseased rodents out there.

You need to select your bengal based on personality and how the kitten relates to you when you visit. Forget everything else. My husband finds a broom very useful in chasing down a little mouse, although our Raiden will try to help him. When I see a mouse, I'm standing on piece of furniture and am no use at all. I did recently purchase some mouse baits which are harmless to pets since the mouse has to enter through a maze to get the bait and no cat's paw can get in there. I use those in the garage and crawl space.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:46 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi Sherry

Hunter/chaser isn't the most important thing in selecting my cat - just an advantage. Our bengal have access to both indoors and outdoors as we live in a rural location (UK) with no cat predators about so the cat can do whatever he/she fancies. It will be a pet cat. I'm not quite sure what you mean by an 'investment'?

I'm going for an adult as there seems to be so many needing homes. I didn't realise that all cats love to hunt. I though I was just lucky with my last one. The 3 before wouldn't bat an eyelid if a mouse/rabbit passed by - they must have been super duds!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

When you go and visit these kitties, bring a wand toy and see how they "chase" it. That might give you a clue. And might help you with your choice. Even though the UK has no predators, dogs can and have killed cats. Unless the dogs do not run loose. As an investment, I was thinking that most people pay good money for a bengal. If you are rescuing, then that might not be the case. I still consider my bengal an "investment" even though his previous owner gave him to me.

I understand where you're coming from. Rodents are incredibly annoying and many farmers have barn cats for that very reason. I am sure there are cats who could care less about a mouse running about their feet! But they have to be rare because the cats I see have to rush to see whatever is wiggling in the grass and my Raiden loves to chase the flying bugs, catch them and eat them. Yuk!

We can't wait to see which kitty you choose. Pictures are required. :biggrin: