It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:56 pm 
Bengal Kitten

So I have bought out a catery, previously having bread sphynx, now taking on bengals.

I purchased the following 1 month ago:

1 x seal mink male 1 year old
1 x marble queen 3 year old
1 x marble female 9 month old
1 x rosetted female 1 year old

All unrelated, ticca registered and vaccinated with decent pedigree.

However the two marble girls fight with the male, despite being on heat. Also the male doesnt seen too interested in the females.

Any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:34 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to the forum. First of all, are you breeding the 9 month old? And is she past her first heat? Most breeders breed the females between 9 months and a year. As for the male, he is still young. Although he should know what to do, it's not happening and you're females are not having much to do with him. Do you have the females separated so the male isn't in with both of them at the same time? Did the previous breeder not give you any help at all? It would seem odd they would hand the cats over and leave you on your own.

However, the key for you is to NOT STRESS OUT. You are obviously new at this and it can take some time and a lot of patience. You're hoping for instant mating and kittens and that may not happen despite having three queens. I'm guessing these four cats were used to being around each other and that this male has sired at least one litter with one of the queens so we know he is fertile. Usually when the female is ready to accept the male, she does.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:53 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi,

Yes i do plan to breed the 9 month old but she hasnt shown signs of heat since i have had her, ideally id like to wait another month or two as she is still quite small.

At the moment all 4 are in the same room, however i will separate the male once i have buit an outside cattery for him.

The male has sired kittens with a seperate female but not with any of the females he is currently with. The oldest queen is the only one to have had litters but that was with a different male.

Do you have any tips for helping them get together?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am not a breeder, but am only offering up my opinion.

Get the enclosure built for the stud and get him out there. The females can remain together. Once you detect a heat cycle with the female, allow her to go in with the stud and monitor what happens. Your small queen may not be ready and I would honestly wait until she is at least a year old. She may go through a heat before that, but that is fine (if you can bear the howling).

So, this breeder hands you these cats with no proof of fertility except for one queen. My best advice is to be patient! You'll get kittens when you get kittens. It may take a while. I don't think any new breeder thinks "wham, bam, thank you ma'am, now I get a litter." It doesn't happen that way. OntarioBengals posts here and maybe she can offer some recommendations. BUT ... the breeder you got these cats from should be there for you as a mentor and to help you get started.

Know, too, that these kitties may be a little stressed from relocating and stress can play havoc with their systems. They may need time to adjust to their new surroundings. I know you're anxious to get your breeding program started, but any start up can have bumps in the road ... so do not stress over this. At some point, you will have litters -- many litters and then you're head will be spinning and you'll wonder how on earth to take care of it all.

I know a breeder who recently had four litters within three weeks (thankfully, one litter was ONE baby). One of the queens had a seizure and passed away, so the other mother is taking care of those kittens. Thus, you may think you'll NEVER have kittens to sell an then every one of your queens is pregnant at the same time! It happens if you let it happen.

Good luck with your cattery. Hope you'll start up a Facebook page for it, if not a full-fledged website. I do have a database of bengal cats with F generations, so if you have any pedigreed names you would like to pass along, I'll see if I have them and, if not, add them. If you have pedigrees, that would be great so I could have the parents' names, etc. You can send me a private message if you prefer.