[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Litter Due SOON!!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Litter Due SOON!!
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:43 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I apologize for not updating everyone any sooner. Things here have been quite busy lately.The breeding of my queen was VERY successful! I witnessed 14 pairings over the span of 5 days. My queen's estimated due date is June 18th! She is already very very large, so either she is carrying a large litter or is carrying very large kittens. I can both see and even feel them move in utero! It is amazing!

My queen sleeps most of the day now. Her appetite has increased dramatically. She did suffer from brief morning sickness at around 3 weeks gestation, but it has since subsided.

While I know a queen will kitten wherever she chooses, I will try to have her birth either in my own bedroom or in a guest bedroom. I think I will design a 'den' for her with one of those large plastic storage totes. A large hole could be cut low enough to create a nice safe, quite spot for her to birth. The sharp edges would of course be sanded smooth to avoid injury. Being plastic, it would also be easy to clean out regularly. It would be lined with towels for comfort and ease of cleaning. The kittens would also then be safe from escaping from too early on. The kittens will be allowed to free roam once they are able to explore. They will never be caged.

I am currently in the beginning planning stages of organizing take home care kits for the litter when it is time for the kittens to go to their new homes. The litter will of course be vet checked, vaccinated and microchipped prior to leaving me. I will be including the vet check proof, vaccination record, microchip information (it will be the new owner's responsibility to register the microchip), a can of the wet food I feed, a small baggie of the dry food I feed, a couple toys, and I am also considering making basic bengal/ kitten care information brochures. I will also be having new owners sign a contract that will include a spay/neuter clause, as well as a 30 day guarantee against illness or congenital defect. Any suggestions as to what else would be good to include?

Post subject: Re: Litter Due SOON!!
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well, congratulations -- soon-to-be grandma!!!! The only other thing I would recommend -- get the kittens spayed and neutered BEFORE they go to new homes (12 to 14 weeks old)!!! Many breeders do this and there are no complications and it is over and done with. The females do better as well. If your vet refuses to do this .. find one that will. This will save the new owners from having to deal with this and peace of mind that these kittens will not have or father kittens. Many breeders withhold registration papers until proof of fixing has been shown, but "proof" can be easily fabricated through software programs (fabricate an invoice from a vet that shows the cat was fixed -- I can do that in 10 minutes).

I can't tell you how many lost doggies and cats have come up with microchips that are not registered! You need to follow up with the owners to make sure this is done.

The goodie bags are always appreciated. I understand a breeder doesn't make a whole lot of money off a kitty, but a toy or two or even a baby blanket might come in handy for the new owners.

Looking forward to the next update when the kittens are here.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I concur with Sherry, have them neutered before sending them out. My boy was neutered at 10 weeks. As an owner, I appreciated not having to put him through the stress of both leaving his family and all that he ever knew, having him barely settle in my home, and then experience the horror of the vet.

In your adoption packs, include a blanket, or piece of a blanket, or a toy that the kitten has been playing and/or sleeping with. The familiar smell of home will comfort him through the drastic changes he is going to experience. Of course, also include the blue TICA paper so the new owners can register their new babies.

Enjoy the beebs. You have an unique opportunity!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:57 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you for the advice! The only issue I have with spaying/neutering the litter prior to leaving is the sheer cost. My vet charges $360/kitten!! If my queen has 4 kittens, thats almost $1600! I honestly do not have that available and on hand. I suppose I can ask new families for a $400 deposit per kitten and apply that directly to the procedure.

Yes, toys will be included in the care package. I buy those little fur mice in bulk and will include a few. I will see if I can find some fleece to hand make tie blankets for the kittens as well.

Following up on microchip registration is a good idea as well. I will be sure to do so.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Find another vet! $360 is crazy-talk. You should be able to find a vet who will give you a breeder's discount. I wouldn't pay more than $100 per.

....I'm still shaking my head at $360....

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It's about $500 to spay/neuter where I live. The rescue services must have a discount vet they go to because thankfully my two were fixed when I got them. There was a county service vet that had discount spay/neuter services for about $100 but there was a six month wiring list.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well....local vets charge $150-$200 here. The Best Friends clinic, a not for profit no kill sanctuary clinic, charges $80/male $70/female and $200 for mom & any kittens.

My breeder has a deal with her vet to do all her kittens at 8-12 weeks of age and includes this in the price.

I paid $550 for my boy, 2 sets of vaccines, neuter, microchip, blue kitten TICA registration all included. I guess I got a bargain.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:15 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Either find a different vet or ask for a discount in having them all done at the same time. Truly, this is the BEST thing you can do for the kittens! And the owners will appreciate it as well. Not sure where you live, but you should be getting several hundred dollars for each kitten - and depending on the pedigree and the quality of the kittens, you can charge into the thousands. The breeder neutered by boy at 12 weeks.

Naturally, it's your decision -- but add the cost of the neuter/spay to the cost of the kittens -- I know I'd rather pay for the fixing up front because I'd have to pay for it sooner or later anyway. It's just so nice to not have to worry about a female kitten going into heat or a male starting to spray.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:54 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think my queen is in the early stages of labor. I am very concerned about this, as it is too early!

Her first successful pairing took place April 9th. Her very last pairing was April 13th. Based on her very first pairing, she is only 59 days gestation. Based on her last, she is only 55 days gestation. She is not supposed to be due to deliver until around June 18th!

Last night I noted that she was being extremely clingy and quite vocal, which is very unusual for her. Her meows were very small and almost kitten like. I am quite certain I also watched at least 5 contractions happen.

This morning, she was alseep in my lap when my lap suddenly felt very wet. Sure enough, my lap was covered in white vaginal discharge. There is NO odor to it at all. Its a thin, milky white discharge, but there is a lot of it. I cleaned up her bottom which was covered in this discharge and took her to her nesting area. She immediately went into her 'den' and has been laying in there purring ever since.

This is her very 1st litter, and it will be the 1st cat birth I have attended to.

Does this sound like the beginning stages of labor? Should I be concerned that shes only 55-59 days gestation?

I did put in a call to her vet, but who knows when they will get back to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

All I can think of is maybe call your cats breeder and maybe they can talk you through it as it's the first litter you have dealt with if you can't reach your vet.

Good luck with it and fingers crossed it's all ok

- Sarah
Arya 24/04/16 - Seal Lynx Point Rosetted Bengal
Griffith 16/04/16 - Silver Seal Lynx Point Rosetted Bengal
Mina (in my avatar)- 1999-2016 - Seal Mink Spotted Bengal (Snow) - run free at rainbow bridge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:31 pm 

Can I just remind members of the site rules:

6. Impersonating another person, alter-ego's and/or utilising mulitpleID's is strictly forbidden.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=713

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:54 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Moderator -- you did a good job in picking up on this.