[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - bengal w/ food allergies: immunotherapy (i.e. allergy shots)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:18 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hello, everyone! My lovely little bengal has food allergies (per her original owner)... and unfortunately, they're to commonly used items in cat food: fish AND chicken (and pork), with the resulting reaction being a rash/hives (dermatitis?). I was wondering if anyone here has used allergy vaccination treatments or other immunotherapy treatments (i.e. drops) to deal with these allergies.

-What do they ultimately accomplish, or what are realistic expectations with this therapy?
-Did you have success with it?
-Is it affordable?

I have three kids who are pretty messy eaters (they try.. but there's only so much a small one can do), so every once in awhile, a missed chicken, fish, or pork dropping is snagged after cleaning up for the night. I'd also like to increase my options for things like dental bites/treats (which usually have fish or chicken of some sort) and supplements (if we ever need them... they tend to include fish in their ingredients).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Have you tried other meats like rabbit, lamb, venison, kangaroo, beef? You might want to read this article:

https://www.thesprucepets.com/best-hypo ... ds-4153930

Thing is, food is absolutely essential to your kitty. But finding the food with the least reaction for your kitty is the key. Allergy shots, immunotherapy are all treatments but ongoing treatments. Unless the allergy clears itself, the treatments go on indefinitely and can be expensive and none too fun for your kitty.

Are you positive your kitty has an meat/fish allergy and is not reacting some supplemental food source? Pet food manufactures these days are putting in grain, vegetables, fruits that bengals do not normally eat. Actually determining the type of allergy takes time and many vets are quick to say "allergies" when that may not be the case.

I'm not a vet or tech or have any medical training whatsoever, but I would research foods that have the least amount of ingredients -- forget all the by-products and other fluff -- there are prescription diets out there as well as "sensitive" or "easily digestion" type of foods. With canned foods, you can easily research online, reading all the ingredients, and head to a local pet store and buy a can or two of what you are looking yo try it out. I believe you would rather find a food that works rather than go for medications or other treatment.

Good luck.