It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: How did your kitty age?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:44 pm 
Bengal Kitten

My girl (Abra) is a senior, while I don't know her approximate age, she is definitely getting up there. I'm curious how other people's bengals transitioned in to their golden years, as I haven't found much information in the forums. Because Abra is still fairly playful and on the smaller side it's hard for me to not see her as still being young. With that in mind I have become convinced that there is something going on with her health wise that no test or exam is revealing, but am also starting to wonder if they're just age related things that I'm blowing out of proportion.

The main things I'm seeing right now is that her coat has gotten a bit spikey (it was greasy but that has subsided for the most part), most evident when she's sitting, and that she sometimes trembles in the most subtle way. She also has feline herpes and one of her eyes has had a lot more discharge than usual (clear).

I guess this post is two questions after all haha

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I honestly don't know when cat is considered a senior. My bengal turns 11 on March 25. He doesn't appear "old" to me, although I can see a difference in his coat as well.

As for the feline herpes, you may want to try Lysine, which can be found in pet stores or online pet stores (I get mine from Chewy.com). I have a regular cat with the same problem and the lysine has helped immensely to where the issue is almost gone.

It is really difficult watching our pets age. Most bengals live 12 to 15 years. Some live a lot longer, but most do not have the life span of a regular domestic cat.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:38 pm 
Bengal Kitten

My Bengal is called Duke and he is 18 this year. He has had a few health concerns over the years the most serious being Hyperthyroidism and he had radiotherapy treatment. He started to look a bit thin even though we couldn't keep pace with his eating. His fur was looking a bit mangy and greasy and he was a bit unsteady on his feet. We thought bless him he is looking his age but the vet did the test and confirmed it. He had the treatement and it was successful.
Even though he is getting old his bad behaviour hasn't got any better. Bengal's never grow up. :lol: