It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Kitten with watery eye
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:58 am 
Bengal Kitten

Today I went to meet my 7 week old Bengal kitten. While I was there, I noticed that one of my kittens eyes was very watery.. Is this normal for a kitten or is it something I should be concerned about? The other 2 kittens in the litter didn't seem to have this problem.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:35 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I don't know that I would worry so much with just ONE watery eye. I had my right one bothering me the other day and it watered all day. I think it was just something in the eye irritating it. If both eyes were watering, I would worry that it could be an upper respiratory infection that runs rampant in catteries, but is very treatable. It's highly infectious so the other kittens would have this as well. You still have a few weeks before you get your kitty, so have the breeder keep an eye on it and update you on the issue. If it is truly nothing, it would be cleared up soon.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:03 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you so much for replying! That makes me feel a lot better! I will definitely contact the breeder for an update! :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:54 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I was going to post the same thing as Sherry.

Watery eye/s can be a sign of an upper respiratory infection. My 9 year old started with a watery winky eye recently and over a couple of days it developed into an URI. He's fine now, it cleared up in a few days, but he was quiet and clingy whilst it lasted. Poor Alex.

URI's are quite common in breeding populations and are often brought on by stress or transferred by people visiting.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Now that you have your kitty, I'm guessing the eye is okay and you didn't mention anything about it. And in the picture, I didn't see an issue! You just have the cutest little baby!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:10 am 
Bengal Kitten

Her eye is better now! Thank you for asking! I actually still don't have her yet! She is only ten weeks old (the wait is killing me, lol).. The picture was from a visit with her a couple of weeks ago! I just went to visit with her again today as well and it seems that her mothers milk went sour, the breeder said that she is doing good with eating the special wet food that she has her on but isn't eating dry food yet.. She also said she had to put her on this special wet food because she is a little small.. Breeder is guessing it may take her another month/month and a half for her to be up to the 3 pound range so she is able to get spayed but said it would be okay for me to take her home at the 12-13 week range as long as all is good with her eating dry food.. She said she will just make an appointment for the spay when she weighs enough to get it done and I can just bring her in! My kitten was 1 out of 4 and 2 of them didn't make it because of moms milk going sour.. I'm a little worried but staying hopeful!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:05 pm 
Bengal Kitten

alternative medicine technique that worked,,, my Sky had that, i made eye drops from a small amount of activated charcoal in distilled water that i shook and let settle and then put the grey cloudy water from the top in an eye drop bottle and put 4 drops in each eye to flush the eye, it cleared up and stopped they runny eyes immediately. i continued for a couple more days twice a day just in case and it hasn't returned.. you can google how to make activated charcoal eye flushes or drops if you want to try.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:46 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Zukasky, I'm hoping the eye drop you created was approved by the veterinarian. One should never make a concoction they found on google without making sure, through your vet, that the concoction is okay to use. Your baby is obviously still having eye issues and i hope this didn't compound the situation.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:40 am 
Bengal Cat

Any updates here? How's your kitten?