It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:14 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hello!
I've been reading a lot of threads on this forum, thank you so much for all your input - it is very helpful!

My question to you all is... what should healthy poop look like?

I brought home my two new kittens and they both had very loose stools - one was even streaked with a little bit of blood. The breeder had all the kittens tested for parasites (not TF) and the tests were negative. This seems to me like a combination of stress, and honestly, I think the food they were eating (Royal Canin - both wet and dry) was upsetting their tummies. I am slowly in the process of transitioning to Tiki Cat which is Grain free. I have noticed almost an immediate change in their stool. One was still slightly loose, but much firmer than before, and the other cats stool was darker than the medium brown it was before, and it was noticeably heavy and dense.

I add extra water to their wet food as per the breeders instructions, and I hear my cats drinking from their bowl throughout the day. They are both urinating a couple of times a day.

I think I am on the right track with changing their food, I am just wondering what kind of "end game" I should be looking for (if you know what i mean. :wink: )

Thanks so much!
Angie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Angie and welcome to our great forum! It is extremely common for new kittens to have diarrhea when they arrive at a new home. The stress of leaving their mom and siblings and going to new humans, new home, new smells, new sounds can be traumatic for them. If there isn't anything medically wrong with them, then this could be the issue. Kittens can have sensitive tummies, too. If you want to change their food, put them on a kitten food for sensitive tummies. You can also add a feline probiotic to their food, but I would probably 1/2 the dose.

It has been a LONG time since I've had kittens, but I do believe their poop is generally softer when they are younger. I don't know that anyone would like a picture of normal cat poop posted here. But, normal poop varies with the type of food the cat is eating. Usually, it is dark brown, clearly formed (solid). If it's lighter or more mustard colored, then the food is not in the digestive tract long enough. My 9-year old bengal occasionally gets soft stools.

Once the kitties settle in and get used to their food, things should improve. Naturally, if they do not, a trip to the vet is advised.