[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Researching before you breed
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It seems to be increasingly evident that more and more novice breeders seem to be venturing into the ‘breeding world’ without having taken some time to do any research whatsoever, which I personally find very worrying.

Any person that wants to start out breeding any animal must surely be at least educated enough to know the very basics of breeding i.e. how to hand-rear kittens, weaning kittens, litter training etc… A novice breeder lacking this essential and basic knowledge I find very concerning; after all, these small and helpless animals are relying on their human carers for their welfare. Any breeder should be familiar with this necessary information before they have bought their first breeding cat, let alone before their first litter is even born. This is quite simply irresponsible I think, or would others disagree?

If an established breeder doesn’t - for whatever reason - wish to mentor a novice breeder, then it is up to the novice to carry out their own research. There is a wealth of information on the internet, books you can read, and even vets who can be contacted for advice.

I certainly wouldn’t entrust one of our babies into the care of a novice breeder who hadn’t bothered to learn at least a little knowledge first, and I certainly would insist on mentoring.

When you undertake breeding cats, you must be responsible enough to learn, and learn more as you go along, as the cats are relying on you for their health and wellbeing. If you can’t be bothered to research, then please think twice before you take on breeding cats in the first place.

I’m interested in hearing other breeders’ views on this. What is the minimum amount of research others feel should be required before taking on breeding cats?

Novice breeders – Have you been offered mentoring by your original breeder? Or, did you ask for mentoring?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:33 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I had looked into breeding on & off for about 5 years & then intensively for about 18 months Before I started even looking for a girl.

I had everything ready & Knew All what could happen and I managed to help my girl give birth to 8 big healthy babies and lost none of them.
One was stuck, feet first, her screaming him not moving I got him to breathe & I fed them to!

Never been so proud of myself, If I hadn't of read anything I wouldn't have had a clue, I probably would have sat there in shock!!

I have breeders that I can ask for advice but Ive done most of it alone, pedigrees/websites/birthing/what to buy etc.

I still like to talk to breeders who offer advice/help as I dont know everything you always need help and advice.

for example you may think something looks great but it really looks quite silly..... :wink: :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:48 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

As a novice breeder myself (our first litter was born in April) then we wouldn't even have considered breeding without support and mentoring from our Belle's breeder.

We also did a lot of research of our own from books although that still doesn't really prepare you for that first patter of tiny paws. I had every piece of equipment and medication imaginable just in case things went wrong and was quite prepared for hand rearing if it was necessary. We lost one little boy from a litter of 6 but we knew as soon as he was born that he wasn't going to make it and that the best thing was to let him slip away surrounded by his mother and brothers.

Even now that we've had one litter I certainly wouldn't assume that we know it all. We know that we're still going to need guidance for future litters because even experienced breeders haven't seen it all and will still be faced with new situations.

Every breeder has to start somewhere and in my personal opinion a good mentor is essential for those first few births. Regardless of how you go about your breeding programme there will always be some people who agree and some who disagree with your methods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:12 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:39 pm 
Senior Bengal

Last edited by kittenmummy on Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

We just had our first litter here in June. I think most people on the forum know that we have been working on this for some time now. After researching, reading, asking tons of questions, etc. we got our first girl, Jupiter. We made the decision to spay Jupiter because she has papillary muscle hypertrophy. We wouldn't have even considered breeding her. We couldn't take the chance that this could be passed on to kittens.

I think we have been very lucky in the fact that we have several breeders willing to answer questions and give advice. We are also lucky because our vet specializes in animal reproduction, and has always told us to call him if we have any questions- which we have.

There are several factors to take into consideration regarding breeding, and there are several great posts here regarding it. Education is an ongoing thing when it comes to breeding. Breeding cats (or any animal, for that matter) shouldn't be taken with a grain of salt. Even after all of the research and questions I had answered, I was still very nervous helping Domino deliver. I hope I always am with future litters too. :wink: I am definitley not too proud to ask questions and advice.

Some people thought I was crazy for ordering so many supplies that I might not have needed- for example, feeding tubes. I am glad I didn't need them, but what if I did? Our vet even showed me how to tube feed, just in case. I may need to in the future though, and I am sure I will be nervous as hell actually doing it the first time. My husband says I need to have a whole room set aside just for breeding supplies, and I think I am almost to that point, :lol: :lol:

I wish that some people would think about and research having their own human kids before having them as well, LOL!! :lol: :lol:

This is a great topic to bring up, and I am enjoying reading the posts and insights. Thanks Maddy, for asking the question!! :wink:

"People that hate cats will come back as mice in their next life!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:54 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm 100% in favour of mentoring. It's so comforting to know that there's somebody there at the other end of the phone day or night. Our vet is also only a 10 minute drive away in case of a real emergency.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:13 am 
Senior Bengal

We were never offered mentoring although we would have loved some.

We'd read quite a bit and thought we knew what we were doing but were shocked with the problems that cropped up in our first year, we had to learn on the go as it were. After two years we now feel as though we're fairly experienced but with cats there always seems to be another surprise around the corner.

The one thing we can't seem to get to grips with is feeding newborns when their mum won't feed them, they never seem to want to take the milk? How do you learn about this without actually doing it? We've read tips all over the Internet but so far have not been able to get a newborn to suckle and we lost two babies fairly recently because of this. Does this mean that there was something wrong with them in the first place? Is that the reason their mum refused to feed them yet she fed the third one in the litter?

There are some things you have to learn by experience and sometimes there just aren't any answers in nature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:04 pm 
Senior Bengal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:20 pm 
The Real Boss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:45 pm 
Senior Bengal

Thanks for that Heidi, I've just ordered one :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Last edited by Tally-Isham on Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:29 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

After reading the posts in this section, I have to say that I think it is fantastic that so many breeders take such pride and care in not only their breeding programme, and raising of the young in their care, but also the care they take of new owners..
I have had so much support from the breeder of my two pet bengals, and I would never even consider purchasing from a breeder who couldn't provide that..
Equally, as a purchaser, I feel it is of paramount importance to comply with the sale contract.. It is after all in the interest of not only your own kittens, but in the interest of the bengal breed..
:D