It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:15 pm 
Senior Bengal

I was watching a TV show about wild cats and the beautiful Margay was featured and it was mentioned that they were used to create a Hybrid cat called the "Bristol" I googled the cat breed but found nothing online apart from that the breed went extinct but the last few females were bought by Bengal breeders and were used as breeding stock to help widen the gene pool.

I couldn't find much information but I did read somewhere that a breeder called "Gogees" used some cats from the Margay Hybrid line in their own breeding stock.

Does anyone know what happened to the descendants and if the Margay Hybrids had much of impact on the Bengal breed?

If so has anyone reported of any sign of their special trait to turn their feet around and use them like hands to climb etc appearing in any Bengals as a throwback type gene?

I am just fascinated by the Margay and until now I didn't know it was used in the Bengal breeding program

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:04 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

There were only a couple of bristols used in the breeding of the bengal cats. Gogees was huge in the breeding of bengals but I'm not familiar with the margays and their use of them in their breeding program.

Bristol M is the sire of Sugarfoot Of Belltown (Bristol) who was the mother of Belltown Cajun Accent Of Gogees (bengal). I believe that's where the hybrid became a part of the Gogees breeding program.