[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Amara is pregnant
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Amara is pregnant
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:12 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

OP I've pmd you.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Debbie happy to see you will stay. This forum was very active at one time. Now there are just a handful of us posting regularly. If we all leave, there will be nobody here to answer questions or give support to other bengal owners. Since I don't see posts from the administrators, I really don't know who they are, except Luke -- and I only know that from viewing the "members" list. Whoever they are, they've probably been around since the beginning of this forum.

This forum is by far the best when it comes to the bengal cat. So much valuable information here from the members -- posts that have been here from the beginning. Super helpful to me when I first got Raiden. Members come here to post questions, ask for advice -- just like for Amara! We all want to see a pregnant mama have a safe pregnancy and healthy kittens. I'm sure a Google search on "pregnant cat" would offer up a lot of articles and forum posts in the results.

I feel as if I've gotten to know those of you who post regularly. There aren't many of us any more and hopefully, the admins will allow us to continue helping those seeking information and guidance on these beautiful bengals.

Slave ... I'm sure your vet is correct. You do not want to stress Amara out unless you absolutely have to take her in. 99% of the pregnancies develop and terminate normally with beautiful babies. Start saving your pennies for the spay. This is not something you want to deal with again. I know Amara will be a great mother and you will fall in love with the babies. Oh kittens are so cute!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks. Must admit I don't really feel as happy coming on here and posting as I did a couple of days ago which is a shame. Hopefully given time that will change.

Slave, please keep us posted on how it's all going.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Brilliant news Debbie! you know how much I enjoy our exchanges... LOL! Hope all going fine for you at the moment.
Big purrs hugs n snarfs
Jo n Merlin xx

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:43 pm 
Senior Bengal

Can anyone advise on how I can encourage Amara to give birth in a safe place? I have bought more than one cat bed which she is refusing to use and I have even tried at a push to make a safe place under a spare bed which she still won't use... I don't want to "cage" her to keep the kittens safe but she has decided to jump on my kitchen bench, then jump up six feet to use the top of the boiler to sleep! I know Bengals naturally like heights but the way she lies on the boiler and how she stays there seems to me, that she has chosen to give birth up there! Its far too high and if a kitten fell it would be lucky to survive and at a push it would break bones.

I do have a cage that I can use but hate the idea of putting her in there as it would stress her out but what else can I do?

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I thought you posted your mom had Amara! What works best is just a cardboard box with towels or blankets in there. She is going to have the kittens where she wants to have them, so don't fix up something fancy because she probably won't use it. And don't stress over this because she can sense your stress and it will only stress her out as well. Allow her to do her thing and find her own spot. How long before you think she will deliver the kittens? Have a couple of options available for her and see what she chooses. Most of the time, delivering moms want to be in a quiet, dark spot.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:15 am 
Senior Bengal

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:18 am 
Senior Bengal

If the vet on the phone was correct then I think she should be due at the end of this week or beginning of next week. Hence why I am starting to worry

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:33 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

If you don't want her possibly giving birth up on the boiler, then you could try to put something up there to block the access. It only needs to be there for a short time, but too big / heavy for her to knock off.
When my furbaby gave birth years ago, she did so in an old cardboard box, with a couple of towels in it, and was happy enough to then put the kittens in my bed and go off hunting! It was a fairly large box, with the top still on, and a hole cut cat flap high in the side, so the kittens couldn't have fallen out...

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:23 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Definitely have your mom block off any where she does not want Amara to have the kittens.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:43 pm 
Senior Bengal

Not sure if we have done the right thing but we have decided to put her in a large dog cage... we're not keeping her in it permanently but just during times when people are out or in bed. Tried blocking off the top off the boiler but everything we tried either kept falling off or just seemed to make it appear more dangerous if she dragged it down with her as she bounced off it.

When my Mam is at home she has the run of the house.

Just hoping the cage doesn't stress her out during the night but today she seemed quite happy to be in it.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Amara's activity will decrease as she goes into labor! You want to protect her and the new kittens especially if no one is home when she delivers (although someone should actually be there in case there are complications). Hope everything goes well with the delivery. Keep us posted.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:19 pm 
Senior Bengal

I will Sherry

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:40 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Is that a current picture of Amara? She looks comfy in that bed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:28 pm 
Senior Bengal

That picture was uploaded on here the day I took it .

She gave birth last night... a long labour, almost came close to calling the vet out twice! Between 7pm and well after 12am! She had 8 kittens!!! Sadly one was born stillborn, unlike it's siblings it looked almost furless and I decided to not try and intervene by trying to revive it as I think it would of probably just suffered.

Assuming all seven surviving kittens will survive then I plan to use any money made from them to go towards spaying Amara to prevent her suffering the burden of pregnancy a second time! Totally not worth it, not when it puts her own life at risk. Any extra will go towards new toys and climbing frames for the cats aswell.

People already want to view them... when is safe to let strangers view the kittens? I was going to wait till they were atleast 4 - 6 weeks before allowing people to pick out their wanted kittens.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next