[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Amara is pregnant
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Amara is pregnant
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:16 pm 
Senior Bengal

As some of you already know, not so long ago Amara got out and went missing for six days. Though she was sighted a few times she eventually came home herself.

As she wasn't spayed I did have a inkling that she may of been caught by a Tom even known she wasn't in heat (that i know of) but for her to be gone for so long I naturally suspected that she was desperate to get out too mate. I debated to take her to the vets to get spayed ASAP but at the time I didn't have the spare money to do it. She now has a full rounded stomach with clear signs of being pregnant and if am correct I think she may be due between the last week of May and the first week of June. A family member did suggest getting the babies aborted but even known I am not Anti-Abortion it isn't something I personally want to do and truthfully I know I would regret it.

I have had a little experience in the past when my Moggie got pregnant a few years of how the birthing process works and what to expect but I just came for some advice.

How many kittens may I expect from a Bengal? I read somewhere that Moggies have three - six per litter but pure breeds litter sizes vary between breeds.

Are Bengals at any higher risks of a difficult birth?

Also I need a list of things I may need in advance incase I have to help her during the birthing process. I have took the two weeks off work to try and be at home for the litter (apart from one weekend where I may have to travel abroad)

How soon once the kittens are born will I be able to get Amara's spayed?

Yes I understand that Amara's litter will be half Bengals and alot of you, if not most of you may judge me but this truly was a accidental litter and I can only make do with what has happened. I will do all I can to find the best homes for these kittens and even have a few people asking me about them already. Any advice you can give will be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Amara is pregnant
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:38 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Please please please, scrape some money together and get her seen by a vet. They can be very helpful in answering these kinds of questions and accessing health risk. Plus can give you a much better idea when she might be due. It shouldn't be an expensive thing to just go and get her checked out and answer your questions. If there isn't a huge health risk I don't know why you wouldn't want to go through with letting her have the kittens. Setting aside the political and ethical questions, I just don't think you'd have any trouble finding great homes for such kittens. In fact your biggest challenge in that regard may be sifting through all the people that would want them and finding the *best* homes.

Good luck, keep us updated, I'll be following this with interest.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:43 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Agree with above definitely go and see a vet.

Also the forum below (see link) has excellent advice. It's a UK site but there are people all over the world who are members.

They have breeders on there who will be able to help you. I've seen many similar posts and they will walk you through it all and give you lots of support but expect a bit of ear bashing initially!

**admin edit** Please refer to rules re. recruiting members to other forums on here.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Unfortunately, these things happen when an unspayed female gets out. I've known bengal moms having as many as eight kittens -- although if this is her first litter, it may be more like 3 or 4 (hopefully). The best thing you can have available in case there are complications is the name and phone number and address of a vet and an emergency vet. You will not be able to take charge of the delivery and help out. Most of the time, things go smoothly.

But then, you are saddled with kittens that you are going to have to find homes for. And we may be getting questions from someone asking, "I was told this is a bengal cross. Is it?" Have you ruined Amara by having her mated with a regular tom cat? Who knows what these kittens will look like. Still, they are baby kittens and will be adorable. Hopefully, they will find good homes.

You need to get her spayed as soon as the kittens are weaned and gone! She will go into heat again soon after -- and she may escape and you are going through this again and again and again. Many places offer low-cost spaying and neutering. You have some time to look for them.

I hope Amara has a safe pregnancy and gives birth to healthy babies. I know this isn't something you planned for or even wanted, but you are dealing with the situation in the best way. Allow her to have the kittens, find them homes, and get her spayed!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:00 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:01 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh and to just add I have read the rules and I am in no way contravening them. I think you need to read them yourself.

Debbie

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:16 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Surely the well being of a much loved cat is the ONLY important issue here? The bengal cat forum is by far the most informative, followed by hundreds, if not thousands and 'full of expertise' forum I have ever encountered. I don't think there is any need for Admin to be concerned of losing members to another forum!

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The issue for me speaking personally is that I am being accused of 'recruiting' to another site which couldn't be further from the truth. I would have thought by now people would know me well enough I would obviously never do this. The site in question I am a member of but hardly ever use because of the more aggressive posters which I find is not my cup of tea. I thought this site was above all that obviously not. Seeing this is how a moderator views me I think it's time for me to say goodbye. I am sorry original poster for taking over your post and will not comment on here further. I wish you all the very best.

Debbie

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Please don't leave the forum Debbie. You have so much experience and advice to offer x

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Please don't go Debbie! I'm sure this is just a little misunderstanding xx

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

What is going on here? Was there actually an edit from an administrator here? That's the first I've ever seen something like that. There are posts that include links to other sites -- maybe not forums, but I certainly have spent my time googling and found other cat forums to read threads on. You were only trying to help, Debbie. And, unfortunately, when chastised by an administrator, people usually slither away and that is how forums become ghost forums with nobody posting. It's one thing to blatantly have disregard or respect for the members on here, but to just try and help someone. I am so sorry, Debbie, and hope you'll continue to be a integral part of this forum. I would NEVER have considered Debbie's post as "recruiting." This is the only cat forum I'm a member of, but (as I stated earlier), I read posts from many other cat forums.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Ditto, Debbie. PLEASE don't go - You are a valued member amongst the rest of members, with good experienced advice. This is the best Bengal Forum, and I have looked at many, but only joined this one... Sometimes the answer you need simply isn't here quickly enough, so it's only right with the WWW that people can look elsewhere if needed, in an alternative Forum if necessary.....

If an 'administrator' causes this Forum to lose such good people, then I too do not want to be a part of it! WHO are they anyway? Are they nominated and agreed by the members? :scratch_one-s_head: :disdain:

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:21 pm 
Senior Bengal

Thankyou for the replies and Debbie I agree with others, please stay.

I did call my vet last week who gave me an estimated date frame over the phone but said unless I was worried with good reason then he didn't advise me to bring her in as he didn't want to stress a pregnant cat unless he had too.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I was going to go but because of all my lovely friends on here and the support they have given me today (also thank you to original thread poster you too) I have decided to stay until you ban my arse from here. I will continue to support people and their wonderful Bengals (or not) and refuse to bow to moderators over inflated self ego.

Debbie

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:23 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Atta girl. I'm glad you are sticking around too. We enjoy your posts and insight. <3