It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Mating
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 9:38 am 
Bengal Kitten

I took my queen Zendaya from Scottish borders to Peterborough (300 miles) to be mated on 27 February 2016, she stayed for a good week so that she could relax , she lost weight & it now turns out that she's not pregnant. I failed to find a breeder closer by which is why I took her all that way, this is also where we bought Zendaya from (glitterglam bengals) I felt safe knowing that the breeder knew all about her bloodline.
I have recently heard that Bengals may not become sexually mature until they reach 18 months, is there any truth in this?
Can you let me know if I should wait until she's older or if we shouild get her down to Peterborough on her next heat? I took her to Peterborough on her third strong heat as advised by the breeder.
I would appreciate any advice you can give me as this is such a long journey for her. She didn't seem to mind the journey too much but she did come back with many a bald path on her and a load of weight missing, she's only 3kg in weight.

Post subject: Re: Mating
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Many breeders breed their queens before they are a year old. It's a shame things didn't take, but that can happen! It's the same with humans, you know. All you can do is keep trying each time she goes into heat. Eventually, you she should get pregnant. It's sad that a stud is so far away. I'm sure the whole ordeal was terribly stressful for her, which may have compounded the problem. Did the breeder witness several matings? I hate to say it, but if you're serious about breeding, you probably need a stud as well as a queen. I know they are more difficult to handle since they are not neutered -- but it would definitely relieve the stress. If that's not possible, borrow a stud. Happens all the time -- he comes to YOU.