It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice Please
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:20 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I have a female bengal who I intend to breed from. Zendaya came from an established respected breeder in England. I messaged the breeder to see if she has connections up here for when the time came to breed her, we live in Scotland which is a 6 hour drive away! I worry this will be stressful for Zendaya. Anyway I mentioned that Zendaya had her first oestrus cycle on the 17 December and is now having another one, anyway she assured me that this was perfectly normal but to give her a shout on her next heat so as to book her in with a stud? I understand health issues can be an issue if there are too many seasons before mating but this seems ridiculously young? Any advice would be hugely appreciated :-) can anyone tell me the idea weight for a female bengal at 8 months old, Zendaya weighs 2.7kg

Post subject: Re: Advice Please
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

What is your reason for wanting to breed your kitty? Are you a registered breeder or just wanting a litter of kittens to sell? Did you purchase your little gal as a Queen to be bred? This ups the price and ante and most breeders do not allow this as you become competition for them. I am not an expert on breeding cats. I do believe a female should go through one heat cycle before being paired with a male. At any rate, you need a purebred male bengal to mate with your female, so you are going to have to inquire with breeders and see who has one available at the right time.

As for the weight of your female -- every kitty is different. I'd have to convert your kg to pounds and ounces. Your little lady should be under the care of a vet and the vet will tell you whether the weight is ideal for your kitty.

You are brave for wanting to go through the breeding process. You will be responsible for vaccinations and the spaying and neutering of the kittens. You do not want the litter to leave unaltered -- that could produce many bengal crosses. Breeders of purebred cats want to maintain the pureness of the breed and normally will not allow a cat to leave unaltered or require spaying/neutering before registration papers are provided. You will also need to register the litter if you want to provide papers for the kittens.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:12 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi, thank you for your reply. Yes i bought Zendaya for breeding purposes as a newly registered breeder. I understand all that's involved on the veterinary side as I happen to be a veterinary nurse. I suppose i'm just surprised that queens are put to stud at one year of age. Zendaya is only 5.95pound and surely has some growing to do yet, thank you for your advice, i will speak to her vet.
I care for the gene pool too much to not have the kittens dressed when they find there new homes, I have no understanding for people abuse this.
Thanks again :-)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:59 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to the world of bengal breeding! I truly believe it can be a totally gratifying experience. And, as a vet nurse, you already know the ins and outs of kittens! Sounds like you have all the bases covered! Here's hoping Zendaya has a healthy litter of kittens! We'd love it if you'd keep us informed of things and how they are going. She's still a kitten -- so maybe waiting until she's about a year old would be the best thing to do.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:15 am 
Bengal Kitten

I bought my queen with breeding rights as my mum used to breed Burmese and found it really gratifying. As I work at home a lot we intended to do the same if she turned out nice, she has a fab temperament and amazing markings, nice look so we decided to take her to stud. However I have left it till she was 2 years old, I don't care what other people say but personally I wanted her to be mature before she had a litter. That's just my opinion, she is not just a breeding machine for me and I care about her. I was told they don't stop growing/maturing until they are 18months - 2 years.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

SpotsnSpice, sounds like you are doing things the right way ... happy to hear you will be waiting. I agree that a kitten having kittens is not a good idea.