It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:22 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hello all,

My stud male is 10 months old, born December 19th 2014 and he is already prowling around his enclosure, calling and spray marking. My little female is not yet ready to breed---she was born May 28th, 2015 so she is about 6 months younger than he is. Conceivably, she could be ready by June next year to be bred, which seems like a long time since my boy looks like he's pretty eager to meet some ladies!

Question: Is it harmful to a stud male to not breed him until he is about 1 1/2 years old? Will he be increasingly frustrated etc. while I wait for my girl to mature? And is there anything else I can do to calm him down? We have companion neutered males who spend time in his kennel, so he is not often alone which seems to help. Any other advice?

Maybe I'm just blowing his calling out of proportion---maybe he's just learning his own voice and making it known to other males that he is here.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:40 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

This is typical behavior. Many breeders keep their studs in outdoor enclosures and tolerate the crying and pacing. Being outdoors, it's possible he can sense a intact female who is in heat. They say a cat can smell this miles away. Some owners bring the cat indoors, but then they have problems with the cat marking. I've always been under the impression a female should not get pregnant in her first heat as they are still a kitten themselves. You are brave to want to breed. You are going to have to tolerate his behavior for a while yet.