[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Obtaining a breeding queen in the UK
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:29 pm 
Senior Bengal

At the current time Im researching getting my second bengal (I already have a female of 7 months, but she is a pet and non-active). Im looking for a brown spotted female and finding it hard (not so much infinding the breeders but in choosing the right girl). I try and get the pedigree and a photo beforehand. But even so I have felt rather pressurised by certain breeders to buy, even when I could see a fault or the kittens were too young for me to make a decision.

The breeder I bought my bengal kitten from doesnt seem to have any suitable females at the moment. She was local to me, and maybe the most helpful. I dont want to leave it too late as my pet bengal female is 7 months, and I feel it would help if they were close on age.

Any advice?

:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:07 am 
Meemonkey and Heidi have been through the same process and I'm sure will be along to offer some advice at some point, but they are rather busy at the moment tending to 2 litters!!! Must be like a mad house :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:33 am 
The Boss

And cue the monkey..... :lol:

Well as Gavin said we've been in the exact situation that your in right now....The only thing you can do is research all the main uk breeders in depth and study the lines what they are currently developing and also make an initial choice on what you want in your own line.....I would also recomend joining a cat club like "The Bengal Cat Club of Great Britain".(all the best breeders are in this one and it's a very friendly atmosphere and also a must when trying to find a quality stud)

There are many different lines in the uk at the mo, Some better than others.......There is also a kind of divide between a typical uk bengal and imported lines which you'll need to take into consideration if your planning on showing as GCCF judges opinions and standards are completely different to TICA judges standards.

As for any breeder pushing you for a sale......I would not just walk away but run as fast as I could, Any breeder who has faith in what they are breeding would only advise and guide you towards the right cat for your program if they had one available at the time.....At the end of the day you'll be showing that cat to everyone and anyone at shows etc, etc.....so any breeder who sells you an inferior queen will ultimately pay the price of shame in my opinion.

Having said that a breeder will always keep the best for themselves without question and breeding queens don't always have to be absolutley perfect, They do have to meet certain standards but the odd rib-bar/stripe or similar minor fault is quite acceptable as this can be bred out if shes put to the right stud-boy......Again ask any reputable breeder and they will tell you that the only way to get a perfect show winning bengal that is high enough to meet your own standards is to breed your own!

One of the litters that we have at the moment has twelve Champions in a four generation pedigree (This took alot of hard work, time and planning to achieve).....And let me tell you for a uk bengal considering how hard it is to get champion status in this country thats one hell of a bengal pedigree and absolutley brimming with millwoods aswell even if I do say so myself :shock: :lol: .....Most have anywhere from 6 to 8 in a four generation pedigree.....However now that TICA is getting more established over here things are improving and hopefully we'll begin to see more internationally recognised bengals here in the uk (GCCF have almost changed the look completely of bengals over the years IMO).....Anyways the point I'm trying to make here is to carry on with what your doing regarding pedigrees.....Inspect them carefully and if any breeder is reluctant about showing them to you just walk away and keep looking, You will find what your looking for!

It's hard to give advice on what to look for without actually being there and showing you in person, But I think for a good starting point a must is a nice small head with well-spaced small rounded ears and the eyes should look large and nocturnal (nice markings also but again these can be bred in to your own standard in time) .....Maybe you'll get a better idea by going along to a few shows.....I'd sugest the TICA shows because the judges actually give a short but very user-friendly speech on each cat in the finals explaining all the good and bad points it has, We've found this format of showing very informative and we've gained so much guidance from it aswell as making some of the best friends you could imagine.

If you take a look at our queens on our website you'll see that they are quite different even though they do look alike......I think I would describe Tally as more of a uk looking bengal because of her profile and Evvie as more of a international specimen because of hers......They are both equally as beautiful as each other and they both have excellent pedigrees filled with imports but sometimes one will out-do the other on the show bench.....But thats just down to the judges preference I suppose.....I've also found there tends to be a north/south devide. Not just in the price but the look of the bengals that I see.....so don't be scared off by doing a few extra miles to find the right queen.....We've covered thousands of miles in the last two years in pursuit of our bengals and their showing antics!

Anyways good luck in your quest.....and just holla if you need more advice!

Sometimes it gets pretty quite on this forum but we are all still here and listening and its also crammed full with essential bengal knowledge that you will need in time to come! :wink:

Phew!.....That was a long post for a young monkeyboy! :wink:

p.s This website may help you tracking down that pedigree your after....www.bengalpedigrees.com.....you can even track back to The ALC which started your line going, But its best for working out which cat put which particular bit into your line i.e rosettes, dark spots, and now whitened tummies etc, etc.....Very useful little website for all pedigree boffins....even has some pics of famous millwood cats there too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:58 am 
Great post 8)

It does get quiet on here from time to time, we could do with attracting some more people to the site really..... There must be more Bengals about than you'd think, we took our 2 to the vets yesterday (annual injections, nothing to worry about) and he said he'd seen 8 Bengals in the past 2 days!!!! That's insane considering there's only 50,000 ish people in our town and he's only one of many vets too..... (one of said Bengals had been ran over too and had broken legs :( )

Strayed off topic there, but yes, as Meemonkey says, we're still reading, even if not posting, so any questions, pipe up and they'll get answered in time, that applies to anyone reading :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:30 pm 
The Boss

Awww.....so sad (and a little mad too :evil: ) for the bengal with broken legs! :cry:

Whenever we visit our vets all the nurses go all doe-eyed over our girls.....we've got a few vets that we use for all different reasons(you can't have too many :wink: ) and the nurses are all the same.....soppy!

All women just melt at the sight of a bengal, It's in their nature......must try to discover what it is and maybe try to bottle it! :lol: I could be a millionaire this time next year if I could only find the secret! :shock:

Back to topic.....If lily wanted I could post some of what we consider the top breeders in the uk.....unfortunately they all charge a very high premium for breeding queens and some have very strict contracts with them too, But if you want the best lines to start off with.....It's the only way!

And I have to admit that your breeder is right up there with the best of them Gavin.....Michelle and her hubby have produced some damn fine bengals over the years(just look at how your two babies have turned out).....Also I've been in awe over "fernando" several times.....He's just too beautiful and it's just so enchanting to watch him prance around!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:41 pm 
We saw him once when we was visiting, he's a monster, couldn't believe the size of him, Michelle was having to hold him with 2 hands, looked enourmous :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:12 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hi there Meemonkey!
What an informative post! Sounds like I've now got an expert to help :) It would help if you could post a list of which brreders you think are best. By the way, my pet girl 'Tiger Lily' is from Bramblewood, the same as your Tally. They are only a 15 minute drive from me, but dont seem to have many brown spotted girls at the moment.

Anyway, you've given me lots to think about.

Will be in touch with progress..... :)

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:39 pm 
The Boss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:38 am 
Bengal Cat

Our Queen is a Bambino.....

The stud was a Jaronbelle/Akerrs

What cute little kittens we have!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:25 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

What are the main differences between the international and the uk bengals - as mentioned by meemonkey?

Also, I have heard that the Bengal is moving towards large doughnut markings. Is this true and is it essential to follow this trend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:36 pm 
The Boss