[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Colors & Patterns results
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:09 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hope i wrote this in the right area..
I was wondering if anyone could share information and/or links regarding results of breeding different colored/patterned bengals.
I have done much reading but really haven't found anything to pinpoint any specifics.
For example breeding spotted X marble , i read that spotted was dominant over marble but would that mean no marbles would ever come of it or unless the spotted had marble in there lineage? that's what I've gathered from some reading so far but it's not as clear as i would want.
I see alot of breeders quoting what colors or patterns they "expect" to get out of a breeding, this is what i'm interested in reading/learning about. How do they know what to expect!!! I feel somewhat silly asking but i figured this would be the best place to ask.

Thank you

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:54 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

A marble X spotted breeding can produce marble IF the spotted carries marble. If the spotted is homozygous for spotted (can only produce spotted) the pairing will only produce spotted kittens. If a marble is bred to a marble they can only produce marble. If two spotted are paired together and they both carry for marble they can produce both.
When you get into color it's a little more complicated and requires the breeder to know what they are doing to get the appropriate color they are wanting. Often you will see reputable breeders have their cats tested through UC Davis to know exactly what their queens and studs carry for. That's how breeders can accurately determine what colors patterns can be expected in a litter.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:05 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay.
With your answers i started to read about the genes and what not and it does tend to get complicated but at least now i have a better idea and understanding.

I Just recently (a few months ago)got into the hobby if that's how you call it, and my girl who's brown spotted was mated to a seal point lynx marble so i was trying to really figure out what to expect from her and to learn what to expect. The breeder told me to expect brown spotted or brown marble and couldn't figure out for the life of me how she would know. From the pedigree, i have looked back 6 gens on her and didn't see any marble in there. so i wondered how she came up with that assumption.

Anyways my girl is due sometime soon and will soon find out. I was more interested in finding out how the genes work because my intent was to work on specific type pattern and color so i want to make sure the results are what i'm striving for.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:13 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Alright, so really there isn't much certainty no matter how much you know, if you aren't aware of what genes the cat carries 100% to begin with, the best you can do is really guesstimate the results. I simply assumed my girl wouldn't carry since i didn't see any in the lineage and i know that spotted is dominant over marble so i then assumed she wouldn't be carrying marble and the same with snow, Didn't see that in her lineage either.
I don't dislike marble or the snow, they are all quite beautiful, but i would prefer to stick to brown rosettes, for the time being anyways. None the less it's exciting to look forward to the surprise when it happen. She's started nesting the past could of days so it wont be much longer now.

Another thing somewhat relative, how to breed for specific characteristics other than color and pattern, such as whiter tummies, rounded ears etc. I'll take any links or sites you may know of.
I fail at researching, as much as i love to read everything and suck it all in, i think my search technics are quite under par. :redface:

p.s. here's a picture of my little lady!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:45 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Ok well, although i was keeping fingers crossed for a week end birth and i'd be home to experience it, hubby just called to tell me i was a grandma! lol
I think the mystery is solved on weather she carries for marble or not, from the very fuzzy pictures he texted me, i think i can possibly make out 2 marbles and a spotted, i might be wrong it might be 1 marble 2 spotted, but i'm pretty sure at least one is. I can't wait to get home!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

She's beautiful. Can't wait to see pictures of the babies!

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:13 pm 
Bengal Kitten

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:47 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

So I suppose she carries marble :mrgreen: congrats on your new litter, I'm sure you will really enjoy having them! If you continue to breed it would be well worth your time to learn the genetics behind breeding to really understand what you're doing and to get the outcome you desire. While you stated you prefer spot/rosette kittens,marbles are truly amazing and some are walking pieces of art. Their patterns change so much and it's amazing to watch. I have had my marble for a year and a half and I still find myself captured by his beauty and his pattern is stunning. It's also well worth mentioning that it would be very wise to place your kittens into a home under a spay/neuter contract or better yet have them spayed before leaving you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:28 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:15 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I appreciate both your comments and tips.

I had read a lot about bengals and breeding before getting my queen, for a few years actually, but there is still much to learn, things i hadn't considered researching. I don't dislike marble, i have seen some impressively beautiful ones but my goal was to try to work the spotted, and felt it would be better to concentrate on one rather than multiple types at once. I had not read to much about the genes, marbles or any other color types, since i had my mind set on spotted. But i'm still interested in learning as much as i possibly can, so if there are some good sites to be suggested i would appreciate it.

When i got my queen from the breeder, she was already pregnant from her stud. When i had originally contacted her she had not mentioned she could possibly be pregnant. When i got to her home she brought up the fact that she could potentially be 2 weeks in, she saw them mate but was to early for her to vet check to confirm. I kind of shrugged, slightly disappointed because breeding to marble was not my intentions but there was still a chance it didn't take so i brought her home. Turns out it did! The breeder is a nice lady who i still keep contact with almost daily and she's very helpful. It's not common to let go a possibly pregnant queen but i understand the choice she had to make, so no judging please. :D SO the plan going forward and was originally is to mate with brown rosetted boys only, for ears, white belly and a bit more thickness (my girl is tiny).

I have been on alot of breeder pages and so i am familiar with some of them as well as what they have produced. Which is one of the reasons i was really interested in my girl who is has good known names in the lines, gogees, Asiafauve, abundadots, to name a few. How do you know how to select the "perfect" one anyways? At an early age, the kittens aren't really developped enough to tell, body wise and color/pattern. That's something else i've been reading more about, the standards, showing is something i would be interested getting into in the future but i need to learn more. I know theres a show comming up here in november which i have bookmarked and considering attending.

I very much plan of getting the kittens fixed before going to new homes. I've read to many horror stories on forums as well as seen to many unregistered cats being sold by people pumping out as many as they can to make money. So no worries there!!!

Still, so many questions to ask..
p.s. Also on another note, i registered cattery with TICA and waiting for the certificate in the mail. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:54 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Congrats on your cattery being registered. That's a big step in the right direction. As far as picking "the one" I would go to as many shows as you can and meet as many breeders as you can. If you are a novice, you can ask for someone you meet and feel comfortable with to mentor you. This is also a good thing to have so they can evaluate your litters from an unbiased position and help you pick out the keepers if you chose to do so. I would find someone that has a foot in the game and knows what they are doing and someone with the same goals you have. It's also EXTREMELY important that you screen your breeding cats for HCM and PK Def and also to choose studs with the same screening. Your queen is very beautiful and with out a doubt will give you amazing babies when paired with the right stud, but health is the number one concern for me. It should also be something you can take pride in and know you are bettering the breed not only with beautiful markings and that perfect white tummy, but with healthy cats /kittens for generations to come.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:30 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hello hello!
Today the kittens are 2 weeks old, eyes are open and they've gotten pretty big!!!
I took a few pics last night real quick while mom was off touring the house. I also had a visit from the breeder i got my girl from to chit chat about registration and other tid bits. Only after she left did i realize i had not asked her some important questions. She brought up the fact that the babies would carry for snow, but my understanding is that it's only a % isn't it? like 25% or was it 50%? I think i need to go back and read some more lol

Anyways, here's a few pics from last night..unbiased opinion welcomed on the spotted, i know it's hard without seeing her every angle, the face and profile pics turned out blurry, but it's about as good as i could take for the time being. I've been thinking about keeping her but i'm not quite sure yet, still need some expect eyes to help me out decide.
The spotted is quite colorful, the marbled ones are still pretty black but have a wee bit of brown coming out now.

***edited*** Didn't mean to skip over the topic, I agree about the screening for HCM and PK Def , that is for sure something i will be getting done!

also ppss, yes, those are my Pj's... no laughing allowed!!! :redface: lol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

They're adorable!

How is momma doing?

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes