[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Big enough to breed?
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Big enough to breed?
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:07 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Post subject: Re: Big enough to breed?
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:04 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Have you researched any of the health issues that Bengals are known to have, specifically HCM? There is one other that I don't remember at the moment. There is testing that goes along with them and I didn't see any mention of that in what you wrote.

I am not a breeder but I have given two retired queens homes and fostered several others. My current girl was just over 8 lbs. when we got her. She had nine babies in each litter ( :eek: ) and she had a hard time with both litters, both because of the litter size and her size. If breeders are telling you she is too small, I would take their advice seriously. I would also find a good mentor to help you. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:30 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you for your response as you actually have first-hand knowledge. Nine babies each is somewhat more than anticipated I must say. Most of the reading I have done indicate 1-3 kittens in a first litter is the norm for Bengals.

Yes, and thanks for the Mentor suggestion. Again, I will be selecting my Studs and Queens carefully and that includes having supportive and informed breeders on side who can act as mentors in this. If we do go forward with this a move to a more rural location is almost certainly also in the cards so this is not a decision we take lightly. Since we are both avid gardeners a move will need to address both feline and human requirements. A rather pleasant challenge actually.

Yes I am aware of the the health issues. It is one of the factors in choosing suitable breeding stock - a key factor actually. As far as testing our current little scamp for HCM we have yet to find a place close by for the testing. Whilst it is important, right now it is taking a back seat to the size issue since if we decide that she really is too small, the issue of HCM in the bloodline for breeding purposes becomes a non-issue.

That said, we will still be screening her when we can for all of the known health issues. Our first responsibility to our pet is to keep her safe and it is one that we take very seriously.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:36 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I just wanted to acknowledge why you would need inside and outside cages for breeding? Cage bred kittens are notorious for being stressed in their new homes.

I breed, not bengals though, and I have a spare bedroom I use for kittening. As soon as the kittens are old enough, and big enough, they are allowed around the rest of the home so are brought up with my neuters.

I breed Tonkinese, known for generally being a bit smaller than bengals but not significantly. An entire queen will have raging hormones so does not tend to grow as much as a neutered girl. Calling multiple times puts their health at risk from pyometra but also general health as mist calling queens go off food or do not eat as well.

My first queen was around 3.3kg at her normal weight. She had litters of 5,8 and 6. (She us now neutered and 4.5kg so hormones played a huge role in her weight). We kept a daughter back and bred her last year. Her normal weight is around 3kg but she drops to 2.8kg when calling! Her first litter was 7 kittens. She us currently pregnant again and rye in 2 weeks! She has had no issues giving birth, nor issues with the kittens.

If your girl is healthy I see no reason her weight should cause her too many birthing issues. 5 calls us a lot for a maiden queen to go unmated for.... I would sort out the HCM screening and find a suitable stud ASAP.

If your girl has breeding rights you should be able yo find a suitable stud and kittens would be registered. TICA recommend that kittens are fully vaccinated prior to leaving for new homes at 12 weeks of age. Something all responsible breeders should adhere to. I would advise against gifting kittens. Breeding is very expensive.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:39 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

To add, if you only have 2 girls then one stud might get very bored and sexually frustrated. Which can cause him emotional and health issues. He would only get action twice a year......

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:04 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks for your response.

The cages should better be described as enclosures with an internal part. They will be very large. The cats and kittens would be in the house with us most of the time. The cages would be to separate the stud and or queens as needed. The cages would not be their permanent homes. Given the potential for a large cat population in the house, I just want to have a suitable alternative immediately available in case of issues (disease, compatibility etc. etc.). Part of the design we have in mind includes a significant out door area with trees, pond and waterfall and all kinds of brush and flowers for "lurking". This would all be screened (including overhead) and is one of the "cages" I'm talking about. Under normal circumstances all the cats would be in the house and underfoot or out in the freely accessible outside cage/enclosure - actually we call it "The Cat Garden" and that is what it really is. There would be a special room/area for birthing and kittens which could be kept surgically clean but this would be completely inside. Frankly we are looking to create the ideal cattery from the cat's perspective and we have been doing a lot of research as to what the best practices are.

Bear in mind that none of this has been designed yet. We have general concepts but we are far from a done deal - that's at least a year away I would think. We have to find and buy a suitable new place in an area that permits the breeding of Bengals - some municipalities up here prohibit catteries in any form and others specifically target Bengals and Savannahs (or ANY hybrids) as not acceptable. Some state that post F5 is OK but others prohibit all hybrids - you cannot even own them as pets in some cities here.

As to giving away the kittens from the first litter - I am aware that breeding is expensive but my motivation for breeding my current little girl once is different from going into it full time. Were she to give birth to 8-9 healthy kittens then yes, some would probably be sold - preferably in pairs (we would give a significant discount on the second kitten going to the same home). No kitten would depart before 12-16 weeks and none would depart without all shots and health check-ups - that's a given. Again, it's about what's best for the cats/kittens; we are fortunate that the financial part is of secondary consideration. At the same time, I have no wish to negatively impact local breeders who have worked hard and do not need "cut-rate" competition so any kittens sold would be priced properly.

Yes, 5 calls is about as far as I want to go. Each time she seems more desperate and we need to decide very soon. I hate to see her stressed and unhappy.

At this point we are leaning towards spaying as the absence of stud service locally is a factor. We have found an acceptable stud service in California and we may bite the bullet and make the trip. Scout loves road trips and rides in the car and so this would not be an issue for her!

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:06 pm 
Bengal Kitten

And thanks for the tip about the stud getting bored; that is most helpful.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:54 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

1. HCM is endemic and autosomal dominant - most lines are at risk as most will carry one affected cat, some lines have multiple links to affected cats and thus are deemed ultra high risk. If you cannot scan do not breed, the breed has suffered greatly and is in the mess it is in, from breeders breeding blind.

2. Time - breeding eats up time, do not contemplate breeding if you have an active social life, love holidays and time away from home. If you can source and pay people to look after your cats whilst you are away them all well and good, but boarding catteries will not usually accept breeding cats and family members and friends will soon get fed up covering for you.

3. Money - it seems to me most Bengal breeders are money orientated - the high prices paid for breeding cats makes them an "investment" and so money motivates the breed. Do not think you are joining a lovely "hobby" group. True enthusiasts and pure hobby people are few and far apart in the Bengal breed, IME. Do not get me wrong, there are some lovely people breeding Bengals, but to some it is all about business and that is fine as long as you are aware of that.

4. Emotion - do not underestimate emotional issues. Breeding well needs a clear mind and often a cold heart. You may want to breed differently to that, but if you do sell kittens to other breeders remember not all have the interests of the cats in mind. Breeding cats is not about "love", if you have a tendency to "love" cats, then breeding may not be for you.

5. Breeding cats are not pet cats - they are very different.
Noise, spraying, peeing and pooing inappropriately; and feistiness make them whilst still entire, unsuitable as pets ands why most breeders of Bengals keep their breeding cats in runs and that is where they stay. Other domestic breeds seem to get away with lots of entire girls and boys in homes in happy family groups, Bengals not so much...

6. Cleaning - make sure you like cleaning as pee and poo management is the daily chore, along with managing the damage caused.

As for your girl, then the minute you keep a boy from her then, unless you want to keep going to public stud with her, then you would have to neuter her.
Most keep the girls they have bred and buy a high quality stud at first. Later as they expand they may keep a boy
Most would advise 3-4 girls to keep your stud happy, as most boys cannot be kept indoors due to the smell. Male cats not only spray they can have a tendency to pee/spray on their bed to stake their claim, so they can reek of the stuff all over their fur, so one very smelly individual, that no-one can keep indoors.

Bengal girls are not that big in reality, I would question the person you got her from. Is she from a small sized family? Are there birthing issues? Was she the runt? What size have her siblings grown to, what size is her mother? If her sisters and relatives are all much bigger, then that may be an issue, if she was born by Caesarian section or failed to thrive as a youngster then that may be an issue too. If you decide to breed then perhaps a smaller adult male or an older male with a long history of producing healthy litters with little n the way of birthing issues. All you want from your first litter is no hassle and the ability to learn from it, there is no need to "give away" kittens.
But it is mandatory you get her scanned, small size may be indicative of heart problems too, and the last thing you want is for your friends and family to home kittens that die from an inherited disease 2-5 years later. A disease that you may have discovered had you scanned. Lots of heart ache and blame directed at you there, I would think.

I think you have to question why you want to breed long term, as frankly there are enough kittens produced every year to meet the pet market, so justifying breeding pedigree cats is important.
With just a few cats planned, you will have to IMO, capture a niche market and that will need thinking about seriously and a goal to aim for.
Many Bengals are ten a penny, bred by people who know little about the breed, where it is or should be going. They buy from "quality" names, names that churn out kittens yearly "for breeding".
Kittens that are ultra high risk as regards HCM, kittens from parents that are retired by 2-3 years of age with "negative" scans, but who cares? because they look nice and sell well.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

All my bengals first litters were 6-8 kittens, never had a Bengal that had a small litter, the first litter being small is a total myth! Have you contacted and local breeders about breeding or health tests or studs to use? I know when stud I am using way before my girls even start to call! And I don't just mean the nearest one to you, but the one that compliments your girl best?

Pkdef is also another test, and you cant leave bengals to call, 15 months & 5 calls is too much, my girl has been calling a lot and on advice of her breeder and mentor to me we mated her just dead on 10 months, and she lost weight and even though she just mated she is calling again and spraying everywhere, she is a ragdoll!

You cant have 1 male to 2 girls, especially a Bengal male, and why retain a male when you have no females? With the amount of money you will spend, no way will you want to give any away for free to friends! Do they even want a pet Bengal cat??

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:47 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you all for your replies. I'm glad I asked. I am now thinking about this a bit differently.

I have just found a place here locally that will do both the HCM scan and the PK Def tests for about $250 total which seems good compared to some I've seen - plus I don't have to travel. Any decision as to breeding will await that outcome. We are booking her in next week (or later this week) for the tests. Until that's done there's not much to do - though will be running an ad on Kijiji for a stud service in the Vancouver area. Anywhere in the Pacific North-West is probably fine if it's a good fit.

But first - the tests...

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I wouldnt run an ad but rather contact reputable breeders in your area. If you run an ad you will have every byb knocking your door down at a chance to make a dollar. I would find breeders in your area, look at their cats in comparison to your girl. If your girl doesnt have the best traits look for a male with the traits you would like to correct. Find what colors your girl carries and mate her with a male that is compatible. A lot of catteries dont offer open stud, but you can possibly contact the good ones and they can refer you to someone who does. Just keep in mind what you are looking for and what the breeder will likely expect of you. Make sure you have a goal in mind and let him/her know what you immediate and long term intentions are.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:54 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

As above, you contact good stud owners and breeders, they don't reply to adverts online?! Well I cant see good ones doing that??

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I would not place an ad, no proper breeder would do such a thing.
What about the breeder of your girl, she may be able to offer you stud service with one of her studs or failing that, if that is not an option, she may know another breeder who perhaps would help. Many stud owners are very protective of their lines, they buy a stud to produce good desirable kittens and part of that is to produce kittens with pedigrees that no-one else has, so loaning out the stud is not in their best interests. Their stud is only for their own use, they would only allow their stud to be used by people they know and on girls that they know the pedigree of and approve of. Breeding catteries also want to minimise infection risk, so accepting unknown girls is something they may do not want to do.
An unknown, lone person just asking for stud service will be viewed with suspicion by established breeders, you will only be contacted by BYBs and people with iffy studs wanting to make a quick buck if you place an ad.
There area lot of "rules" around pedigree breeding, you need to be aware of them otherwise you will be labelled as dodgy, before you even start.