It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:52 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi

My queen has had her first litter by c-section 5 days ago. She is learning to be a MOM, its goes pretty well by now, but she doesnt have much milk for her kittens, so I am feeding them every 2 hours at the moment, and honestly it is wearing me out. They gained very little weight the first days, but its better now.

So I was wondering if anyone has some advice how to get the mom to produce more milk, so I can get some sleep? :(

She is with them most of the time, and a good caring one for them.

Any advice most welcome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:34 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hmm...you have my sympathies because I know how wearing bottle feeding can be. :roll:

Fluids! Get plenty of fluids into your queen. If she is ok with wet food, give her plenty and even add a spoonful of water every time. Feed her little and often.
I would also like to point out that the more you feed the babies, the less they will take from mum so she will produce less milk. Milk is supplied on demand, so if the kittens demand less (because you are feeding them) then she will produce less. :wink:

There is also a herbal remedy called Urtica Urens. I admit to being a bit of a sceptic with these remedies, but I gave in and tried Urtica for the first time quite recently and was amazed that it actually helped. You must ensure you get the right one though, because there are 2 kinds. One that helps produce milk, the other helps get rid of it! I think you need Urtica Urens 30c. Please do check on that if you decide to order some though as the names are very similar for both.

Good luck...let us know how it goes? :wink:

http://www.bengalbreedersunited.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:00 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Suntouched wrote:
Hmm...you have my sympathies because I know how wearing bottle feeding can be. :roll:

Fluids! Get plenty of fluids into your queen. If she is ok with wet food, give her plenty and even add a spoonful of water every time. Feed her little and often.
I would also like to point out that the more you feed the babies, the less they will take from mum so she will produce less milk. Milk is supplied on demand, so if the kittens demand less (because you are feeding them) then she will produce less. :wink:

There is also a herbal remedy called Urtica Urens. I admit to being a bit of a sceptic with these remedies, but I gave in and tried Urtica for the first time quite recently and was amazed that it actually helped. You must ensure you get the right one though, because there are 2 kinds. One that helps produce milk, the other helps get rid of it! I think you need Urtica Urens 30c. Please do check on that if you decide to order some though as the names are very similar for both.

Good luck...let us know how it goes? :wink:

Thank you for your answer! My queen doesnt eat much wet-food, I tried but she just took a little taste of it.

I haven't deared to feed the kittens less, as they hardly gained weight at all the first 3-4 days, so my vet said I had to feed them more often. It says 7 times a day first week on the packet (RC), but that must be wrong, as they gained only a couple of grams each day.

But I'll try to get more fluids into their mum, and also look up this herb! Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:04 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yes it is Urtica Urens 30c. One tab three times a day for 3-6 days :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks Maddy (Tally-Isham) :D

Yes, you must ensure your kittens get all the milk they need, one way or another. Mums milk is obviously best, but they must be fed every 2-3 hrs at this age. :wink:

If the mum isn't keen on canned wet food, you can always boil up a chicken (on the bone), remove the meat and add some of the water (when warm) or jelly (when cold) to the meat. This seems to encourage them to eat and they get the much needed fluids too. :D

http://www.bengalbreedersunited.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:11 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Tally-Isham wrote:
Yes it is Urtica Urens 30c. One tab three times a day for 3-6 days :)

Thank you! I'll look for a homeopath tomorrow! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:12 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Suntouched wrote:
Thanks Maddy (Tally-Isham) :D

Yes, you must ensure your kittens get all the milk they need, one way or another. Mums milk is obviously best, but they must be fed every 2-3 hrs at this age. :wink:

If the mum isn't keen on canned wet food, you can always boil up a chicken (on the bone), remove the meat and add some of the water (when warm) or jelly (when cold) to the meat. This seems to encourage them to eat and they get the much needed fluids too. :D

Great advice! She likes chicken, so I'll try that! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:48 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

you are going through what I was going throguh 4 weeks ago & still am, my girl as no milk, did your vet give her a shot of oxytocin? That normally brings it out.

If not, just keep doing it, I tell you its been the worst few weeks of my life, I was happier when I was in hospital recovering from a op, than hand feeding :roll: remember to make them go to the loo before & after feeding, lighty tip them up, head below bum and tap between shoulder blades to 'burp' them incase it goes in their lungs.

Do NOT over feed them, we lost one due to this :( :( The vet said 'as much as possible' and 6 housr later he died, we had a post mortom done and this was the reason, I will never forgive myself for this, so please stick to the amounts on the boxes.

how much are they gaining each day? I had one at 175grams at 3weeks old, he was a figher but sadly we had to pts :(

they are now 4weeks & 4days old, going strong and only 50grams off a 'normal' age weight, was a litter of 8, now have 5.

Ive cried, ive cried and ive stressed, basically you have to do it or they wont make it, is mum doing most of the looking after are they trying to suckle? when they get to 3weeks old you can start weaning, that wasa life saver for mine, feeding the jelly at first then mash up meaty small meaty bits, let them lick it, they are now eating chicken & meat on their own and RC baby cat & purina biscuits. you can get mousey type kitten food from zooplus, they like that as no bits to chew.

I know that rescues will take them, but you wont get them back, as they offered to take mine and mum but I would not ever see them again :( They werent doing anything that I wasnt doing so it was up to me, and I can now have 6hours sleep :D OH I was told that this was good: lactoll I bought some however its a little pointless now! Your meant to give them 3 drops 10days before they give birth & up to 3weeks later, might help never know.

keep going :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:21 am 
Bengal Kitten

Taylorbaby wrote:
you are going through what I was going throguh 4 weeks ago & still am, my girl as no milk, did your vet give her a shot of oxytocin? That normally brings it out.

If not, just keep doing it, I tell you its been the worst few weeks of my life, I was happier when I was in hospital recovering from a op, than hand feeding :roll: remember to make them go to the loo before & after feeding, lighty tip them up, head below bum and tap between shoulder blades to 'burp' them incase it goes in their lungs.

Do NOT over feed them, we lost one due to this :( :( The vet said 'as much as possible' and 6 housr later he died, we had a post mortom done and this was the reason, I will never forgive myself for this, so please stick to the amounts on the boxes.

how much are they gaining each day? I had one at 175grams at 3weeks old, he was a figher but sadly we had to pts :(

they are now 4weeks & 4days old, going strong and only 50grams off a 'normal' age weight, was a litter of 8, now have 5.

Ive cried, ive cried and ive stressed, basically you have to do it or they wont make it, is mum doing most of the looking after are they trying to suckle? when they get to 3weeks old you can start weaning, that wasa life saver for mine, feeding the jelly at first then mash up meaty small meaty bits, let them lick it, they are now eating chicken & meat on their own and RC baby cat & purina biscuits. you can get mousey type kitten food from zooplus, they like that as no bits to chew.

I know that rescues will take them, but you wont get them back, as they offered to take mine and mum but I would not ever see them again :( They werent doing anything that I wasnt doing so it was up to me, and I can now have 6hours sleep :D OH I was told that this was good: lactoll I bought some however its a little pointless now! Your meant to give them 3 drops 10days before they give birth & up to 3weeks later, might help never know.

keep going :)

I'm so sorry for what you have gone through and your loss! No-one to loose. But all we can do is our best.
I don't know if he gave her oxytoxin, not that I know. It all happened so fast, and I had enough getting the kittens rubbed and dry. He had no time to call in an assistant, it was Saturday night so...

I think she might have a little bit milk now, because a couple of the kittens dont take all the milk I feed them now, but seem content.

One is still weak, and have gained very little. (19 g in 5 days) He was 98g last night. The others have gained between 37 and 50 g. The last day, they gained more than 10g, so thats great, but the weak one only 4g. Weird part is he gets as much milk as the others, but still gain little.

I do not overfeed them, as my vet said its much better to feed them less- but more often.

I didnt know about the burp-thing, thank you for that advice! I did think of it, but didnt know how to.

I usually start letting the kittens taste RC baby which I make wet in boiled water at 3,5-4 weeks. So I'll do that now too, only 2.5 weeks to go! LOL I think I overslept this night, I cant even remember feeding them, and my conscience isnt good, but I'm human, and I struggle when I cant have my sleep. They survived it at least...

Now I'm waiting for a phone back from the nearest homeopath, hopefully she has the remedy mentioned above. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:22 am 
Bengal Kitten

UPDATE:

I was advised to talk to a homeopath who treat animals at a vets-clinic. He advised me to try Pulsatilla D30 instead. With 10 pills dissolved in water, 3-4 times a day, every 2 hours for 10-14 days.

So I contacted a Pharmacy, found one which had Pulsatilla, but Urtica Urens had to be ordered, and might not arrive until next week. But then I'll have both if Pulsatilla doesnt work.

So what I did was dissolve 10 pills Pulsatilla in 4ml of water in a syringe, giving 1ml a time.

I'll tell you how it goes! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:20 pm 
Bengal Kitten

:mrgreen:

Last edited by Tiny on Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

oh she is stunning, just remember that dont look at a 10gram gain, just look at even a 5 gram gain ANY gain is good, at first I weighed them at 12lunch time & 12midnight, now its once a day at 4weeks & 4days old.

I wouldnt freely let them drink as you wont know how much they have had when they are older, maybe pass 5-6weeks do that? But the life saver (and mentally saver!) was the weaning at 3weeks old, they all love chicken, and the weat meats that I bought, no bits in them.

it is alot of work, this was always my worst fear, but Ive been through it now!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:37 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Taylorbaby wrote:
oh she is stunning, just remember that dont look at a 10gram gain, just look at even a 5 gram gain ANY gain is good, at first I weighed them at 12lunch time & 12midnight, now its once a day at 4weeks & 4days old.

I wouldnt freely let them drink as you wont know how much they have had when they are older, maybe pass 5-6weeks do that? But the life saver (and mentally saver!) was the weaning at 3weeks old, they all love chicken, and the weat meats that I bought, no bits in them.

it is alot of work, this was always my worst fear, but Ive been through it now!!

Thanks! I just love her, she is a bit on the shy side, but so kind and well-tempered. And at the beginning when she was very confused, she shouted to me for help if the kittens cried...And when i reassured her everything is ok, she made a lot of funny, "good" noises at me, talking, so sweet! :)

I feed them by syringe, so i have full control over how much they get, not by bottle, as they may get too used to the "comfort" of it, and not try mums milkbar...lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

lol I wouldnt worry, they dont! I use these:

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Catac-Standa ... TACFEEDER/
you can buy extra nipples here lol:
http://www.viovet.co.uk/?pk_campaign=Pa ... 4QodGUlfgQ

its instinct so they still suckle :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:32 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Taylorbaby wrote:
lol I wouldnt worry, they dont! I use these:

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Catac-Standa ... TACFEEDER/
you can buy extra nipples here lol:
http://www.viovet.co.uk/?pk_campaign=Pa ... 4QodGUlfgQ

its instinct so they still suckle :)

Yes they do! One of the girl- babies suckle all by herself, I do not need to do anything...LOL And she runs, because she likes her food so bad, she cant stand still..lol Imagine a few days old kitten run! Well she does, very busy! She's so cute, but she'd drink a liter if I let her. No bottom in her stomack..