[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Can someone please help me?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:47 pm 
Senior Bengal

Sheena is an 18 month old female Bengal who is overweight. She weighs 16 lbs. I have her on a diet of canned foods - Tiki and Nature's Variety. I try to keep her calories around 200 a day. She is not very active (I guess due to the weight), and all she thinks about is food. I'll give her a couple of 2 calorie Temptations sometimes, but I am always conscious of the calories. What can I do to get her to drop a few lbs? I'm going to schedule a visit to the vet soon. Does anyone else have an overweight Bengal? And how many calories to you feed? I work, so frequent small meals are not an option on weekdays.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Ahhh Sheena. She is like Grace who is 15 and a half pounds. I just asked the same question to my sister who has an oriental short hair. She feeds her cat half a 3 oz can once a day and gives him dry food when his bowl is empty. He goes outside and walks a lot (she lives down in the keys) so he is pretty active and under 9 pounds.

Grace and Blondie share two 3 oz cans each day and get about 1/2 cup of dry during the day and 1/8 cup in the evening. I just can't imagine taking that second can of wet food away. They still spin in circles for their food. They have been on this feeding schedule for a year now. Blondie is only 10 pounds but she is hyperactive, Grace is not and he bone structure is much larger than Blondie. I guess i could cut back on the dry food slowly. I mainly use it so I can leave for work and get them into the house in the evening.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Think a vet visit sounds like a good idea. Could there be an underlying health issue to cause the weight and constant hunger?

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:34 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I see this continues to be an issue for Sheena. Does she look seriously overweight??? I could understand if she weighed 20 pounds. You can't always go by the "average weight of 10 to 12 pounds." It is going to vary with cats. Now there could be an underlying medical condition causing her to not lose any of the weight. You are very conscious of the calories you are giving her. If she is getting enough exercise, she should be losing weight. Have the vet test her thyroid.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:39 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hi Sherry!
I got on the scale with her this morning after weighing myself and she was 16 lbs. Her stomach hangs (more than the primordial pouch) and she looks tremendous to me. She used to play with my other cat, but she has no interest in playing and it's so upsetting. I have to spay a kitten I just got on the 31st, but after that I am going to take her in for a check up. I don't think anything is wrong with her other than the fact that she loves to eat, but I know they generally do not have very long life spans and I'd like her to slim down so she will have more energy. My three cats get a third of a can each of high quality food and they split a 60 calorie pouch of Weruva just before bedtime. The other two are not overweight, so I would hate depriving them of the last 20 calories of the day. :cry: I'm always so concerned about Sheena because she just lays around and waits for meal time. Is there a general guide line somewhere on this forum about how many calories a cat should have a day? Thanks, Sherry.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

A young Bengal that just lays around with no interest in playing at all really does not sound right. I'm sure the vet will test for thyroid and such as sherry said.

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

How much to feed your kitty -- it doesn't have a simple answer. So much depends on the type of cat and how active the cat is. Each of your cats may have its own caloric requirement for optimum health. You are worried about Sheena. That indicates that she needs to head to the vet for a thorough checkup and tests that may be needed to find the problem. When you have other kitties around, feeding a cat a special diet requires separation of the food area. There are foods available (wet and dry) with fewer calories. The thing is, Sheena is not 18 years old, she's 18 months old and as such (and being a bengal), should be playful and active.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:55 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I would also suggest having the vet check her thyroid function, that will cause weight gain and no matter how few calories you feed it will be tough for her to lose any weight. It will also cause lethargy if her thyroid is low.

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes