[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Raw feeding
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Raw feeding
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I feed my dogs raw cause it suits them and thats what they prefer to eat - I had terrible troubles with them and commercial food - they are 7 & 5.

My brother feeds his yorkie dog on bakers complete - often Tesco or Sainsburys own food - she turned 15 in Feb.

My mom feeds her (formally my!) Persian on Royal Canin Persian - She is 15.5yrs old

- I feed mine on RC biscuits to graze. Applaws chicken/hi life fish alternated in the mornings.
Tutti my youngest is on a staple of RC vet diet sensitive plus Hilife fish - she has a delicate tummy and high protein foods upset her (She has been tested neg of TF & every other thing you can think of)

I supplement all diets with Kitty Bloom and Lysine (as I show my cats)

I truly believe that if a food suits your animal AND you give a nutritionally balanced diet then stick with it - I cannot abide people that preach about certain ways. Its good to have all the information available to you and then make your decisions based on that and your pet.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:56 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thank you to both of you, all that information has been really helpful. I don't feel completely insane now trying all the foods under the sun to see what is that they like and thrive on. I just need to find the right balance, have another precooked loaf to try out today and see how we go with that. I am not keen on tinned or pouches, but that is a personal thing, the smell just makes me feel ill lol, but have some here and will use it as a change up for them, if this is what they eat, they thrive on it, then I will just have to "suck it up" hey! I give them about half a cup of dry and leave that for them to graze on, generally overnight, once that is gone, that's it, they don't seem overly fussed about it anyway, it's the Black Hawk brand, they were on Advance kitten, but corn was very high on the ingredient list and it seems Cinder has a sensitive stomach to that so that went to a friend getting two kittens today. Thanks again, very appreciated :biggrin:

Owned by Neko and Cinder
And a little white dog named Kasey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

And I am still no closer to finding an 80/10/10 raw recipe. lol.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:25 am 
Bengal Kitten

Our 13 week old boy seems to be getting picky. He's fed raw meat 3 times a day at the moment, either ground chicken (our local butcher does this, complete with bones), kangaroo mince, beef mince. With a rare treat of sardines (in spring water).

Some days he devours it, others he just ignores it and waits to see what he's given at his next meal. He always has a supply of dry food, but he only occasionally grazes on these.

I think we may invest in a grinder, and make our own raw food and see how that goes. The raw meat definitely helps with litter tray odour!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:01 pm 
Senior Bengal

Can somebody advise please how much raw a 4 month old kitten should eat?

I've read that an adult cat should eat approximately 350-400 grams per day.

But my 4 month old kittens are already eating this amount. Should I increase their portion as they grow or should I continue to feed them this amount?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:10 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Kittens need fed to appetite, as they not only tend to expend a lot of energy by running about, they also need to develop and grow at the same time.
Many kittens and young adults eat a lot more than adults, it is quite common. Some will eat more as kittens that they ever do again in their lives.
Never put a kitten on a diet, just let them eat as much as they can, as they will need it all.

Many guidelines re amount to be fed, are worked out by averages, they are not to be followed to the letter.
There is no need to weigh food, unless the cat is on a strict diet for medical reasons.
Like humans, some cats will eat a huge amount and never put on weight, others will eat little and end up tubby.
It is best to take your cues from the cat, if they are always hungry and look thin, give them more and if they are putting on excess weight and condition, then feed them less.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

10% of body weight for a growing kitten, 2-3% of body weight for a healthy adult cat to maintain weight. So 4kg adult = 120 g per day of raw food. However like Elaine says you base it on the animal....too thin give more, too fat reduce.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:47 pm 
Senior Bengal

Thank you. I will continue to feed them as much as they want.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:22 pm 
Senior Bengal

Thank you guys so much for these awesome tips...I want to feed my baby Bandit raw...so please keep us updated with new posts on tips and advice's...we appreciate it a lot. :cool:

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:29 pm 
Bengal Kitten

my 4 month bengal has took to raw food really well, he loves everything iv thrown at him lol, chicken wings, chicken necks, livers, hearts, found a really good website here in the uk that delivers minced raw food at good prices, also have carcasses and loads of other raw stuff, dont know if im allowed to post websites am i ?.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:43 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hello -

I'm new here and just now going through this forum trying to learn about a raw diet for my Bengal. The story goes - I basically ran a small 'rescue' for family/friends older cats that they didn't want to keep around anymore and I decided to give them a safe, loving home for a few more years. Well - the Bengal (Cairo as he's called) - he actually came from craiglist a few years ago.

Someone was moving to New York and they were simply giving him away - so I immediately scooped him up and took him home. He's a beautiful, lanky marbled Bengal with the glittery light catching sparkles to his fur. Okay - so fast forward to NOW. Lately he's been meowing like crazy - all day long - all the time. He has the attitude of a begging puppy when you're in the kitchen or eating or making noise with the plates/silverware etc (probably because I made the mistake of letting him eat food off the plate when I was done here and there - nothing toxic to a cat mind you). But in addition to the extremely irritating meowing - he's also been losing weight - so he's not necessarily lanky/muscular anymore but skinny. I'm taking him to the vert next week for a checkup and to see if anything internal is happening as to make him get like this...

As far as diet goes - he's always been on the Blue Buffalo kibble. I remember reading about raw diet a long time ago when I first got it and talking to some people at like Petsmart and came away with: raw diet isn't for everyone, kibble is fine. Lately - I'm not so sure that was the way to go - and so I went to Petco Unleashed - and got a quick fix raw diet consisting of their "Instinct" chicken frozen flavored raw bites food.

I'm not sure he likes that.
...and I mean - yeah I thaw it out but it's still super cold unthawed raw food right out of the freezer 15 minutes ago ro so - I wouldn't want to eat that prison food either to tell you the truth. But I was told a lot of cats like it - so go ahead and try that. Well - he doesn't really seem to like it - eating a little but finally just giving up and leaving it to rot in the bowl. Now I don't have a big expensive meat grinder nor can I really afford one so there's that. I've looked at anti-ground raw diet - but this is all a little hard for me to grasp with the meat and bones and different vitamins that get all mixed together and how it all works. I'm gonna have to keep reading to try to really understand how to do this raw diet.

But I thought I would throw all this out there - so you know what's going on and maybe have some advice or quick links I haven't run across yet - or maybe even somewhere in San Diego that I could go that might have raw diet meals I can buy (not this Instinct frozen food stuff). I talked to a few other people - they said their Bengals displayed the same behavior until they were finally switched over to a raw diet. Well - how do I do that exactly and what do you think about this Instinct brand?

Thanks for anything you can give advice wise - I kinda got a late start on this whole raw diet thing but better late than never I guess.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:33 pm 
Bengal Kitten

There used to be a great company called Woldsway
Food for a fantastic raw wild rabbit & chicken combo
They have now closed down but I have found
A new company just started up called
'They Love It Raw' you can email enquiries and orders
But they haven't got a web site yet. I've ordered
From them and they are great. Such a relief to find
A replacement to Woldsway. theyloveitraw@yahoo.co.uk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:51 am 
Bengal Kitten

I am so confused what to feed my cat.. raw, homemade, or canned.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:19 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next