[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Raw feeding
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Raw feeding
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:40 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:52 am 
Bengal Cat

Cats are carnivores, they do not need veg but they do benefit from certain vitamins found in some veg. That is why I think it is best to fortify the raw feed with things like taurine and sea kelp. I cannot see how raw feeding alone will contribute to liver failure it is the most natural way to feed and the most species appropriate diet for the animal. Canned cannot offer more surely, infact I believe quite the opoosite. Raw is high in moisture and stimulates the gut to produce vital enzymes that benefit the system and encourage the healthy function of the liver. Reading so many stories about how raw feeding has made pets so healthy and even nursed them back to good health from the brink (as was the case with my kitten), I find it hard to believe it would contribute to such ill health. That's like saying it was the grilled chicken that makes people fat not the KFC.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:51 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

After having to feed one of my kittens canin wet food i am overjoyed they are back on a full raw diet. I don't know what's worse the smell of the food going in or coming out, it's also worrying how they seem addicted to commercial food, both mine would eat it if given a choice.

A cats natural diet does not consist of grazing animals (unless your talking about lions etc), the prey would be more likely to have fed on insects & maybe grain and seed so the argument about getting grass from the preys stomach doesn't really add up. My 2 kittens have access to plenty of safe plants including wheat grass, the only time i've seen them eat it is when they where i'll (presumably to cleanse the system).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:55 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

To a lot of uneducated people 'raw feeding' is purely giving raw meat. No organs and no bone. This is what i meant by people not feeding raw correctly. I know people do this as i have tried to re-educate them. And these people have been doing it for a while... there is probably alot of people out there that hear about raw feeding and how good it is but do not fully understand how to do it.

It is very dangerous when fed incorrectly. It can cause a whole host of problems just like feeding any incomplete diet.

I do not believe Raw feeding is a cure all but i do believe it can help and cannot hurt (when done correctly). I also do not believe that all wet food is bad, so long as you can choose a high quality one. I would much rather people fed wet with a raw treat than feed raw and do it wrong!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:32 pm 
Bengal Cat

I've had a few days where Willow (moggy :)) has been off his food. I was so worried that this evening I had him at the vet. A couple of weeks ago I caught him eating a scrap of fabric with a plastic popper on it (off-cut from making rag rugs). I'm worried that he's been eating more of that sort of thing, even though I'm always quite careful to clean up after myself. She had a feel of his stomach, took his temperature, and gave him an injection of something to calm his tummy incase he's been feeling sick or anything, but couldn't find anything wrong with him.

To my relief (and mild irritation), this evening he ate all his dinner without complaint :roll: . I suspect he's just being a fussy boy. I've been feeding them raw for almost a year now and wouldn't change back to commercial food for anything (to my delight, the vet didn't have a problem with this and didn't try to talk me into buying science plan or anything!).

I've been using the standard recipe often recommended on here - 2kg chicken, 400g heart, 100g kidney, 100g liver, sardines and eggs. Today I ordered a pheasant from the butcher to see if Willow likes it. If he does then I might make the next batch with pheasant instead of chicken. I've noticed though that he's been picking round the offal this last little while too, so I'm wondering if I might be able to get chicken giblets to try instead. Would that be the same ratios again (400g chicken hearts, 100g liver, 100g kidney)? I'm guessing that would be a lot of hearts, and I have no idea if I'd be able to get them. Or if for example I made a batch with a whole chicken + giblets, wouldn't that already be the correct ratio of organ to white meat?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:14 am 
Bengal Cat

Hey everyone, ive been reading this thread for a while and I've decided to switch my 6 1/2 month old boy over to raw, especially if you guys say its more cost effective. The $3 per can of his current favorite food (ZiwiPeak) is killing me. My local store gave me a sample of some raw food (by a co. called rad man) and my cat loved it, gobbled it right up so I'm pretty sure he likes raw. Also, my cat doesn't eat anything chicken or turkey flavored in canned foods, the raw chicken is the only chicken I got him to eat and someone mentioned to me having my cat on a diet primarily of venison/rabbit/lamb isn't a great idea.

Anyways, I need advice on the best way to switch him over. I've already obtained chicken, chicken liver and heart and its in my freezer. I need to know how to prepare it (how long to thaw, what to add, etc.) and how much I should add into his wet food.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:24 am 
Bengal Cat

Sorry the name of the sample I got was from a company called Rad Cat (http://www.radfood.com/index) there's the site if anyone's interested, and I might as well ask what are your thoughts on the premade frozen raw diets, such as the one above and Instinct, etc.?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:07 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I know a lot of recipes and links have been posted on this thread but I still need some help.

I want to start making my own raw mix for my bengal. I am trying to do all the research I can to get it right.

The usual situation with being Australian and the internet is that I cant find anything I need, I want a recipe with supplement links I can buy in AUS. There is sooooooooooooo much information it literally drains me.

I just want something like:
go to butcher, ask for this, grind that, mix that, get this supplement from this shop....
I need it to be exact and thoroughly explained so I can get my head around it.

Surely there are some Aussies that make their own and can help me with supplements?!

I am so confused :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:08 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I know a lot of recipes and links have been posted on this thread but I still need some help.

I want to start making my own raw mix for my bengal. I am trying to do all the research I can to get it right.

The usual situation with being Australian and the internet is that I cant find anything I need, I want a recipe with supplement links I can buy in AUS. There is sooooooooooooo much information it literally drains me.

I just want something like:
go to butcher, ask for this, grind that, mix that, get this supplement from this shop....
I need it to be exact and thoroughly explained so I can get my head around it.

Surely there are some Aussies that make their own and can help me with supplements?!

I am so confused :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:11 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:51 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just out of curiousity without having to research it, but what do you feed your cats Elaine?

With reading a lot in here I am pretty sure that I will not be feeding raw, it does not help that Cinder doesn't like it enough in all honesty. I can get a little confused with all the conflicting information on here, I want to do what is best for my cats and believe that giving them what they like and making sure it's the best I can give them can be really confusing and frustrating :evil: . It's like feeding my kids lol! They are all different I know and like different foods but I don't remember my other cat being like this, but then again, I only had one cat, two is different...it seems!

I am feeling more reassured knowing the choices I am making will not be at the detriment of my cats health

Owned by Neko and Cinder
And a little white dog named Kasey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have lived with cats all my life, volunteered at rescues and helped in boarding catteries. I now breed and show my cats so am around A LOT of cats. Very very few are raw fed and the vast majority live to a ripe old age with very few health problems.

I just struggle now to believe that raw is the only way to feed a cat that is right.

These cats i have come across in my life (100's) were mostly fed fairly poor (by a lot of people's standards) quality food. 4% meat content was the norm.....

I am not suggesting a low meat content is the way to go... but can it be so wrong if the cats are well and live till they are 18-24 years old?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

So what do you feed your cats? I am just seeking advice from those who have much more experience than me :confused:

Owned by Neko and Cinder
And a little white dog named Kasey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next