[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Best (?) US Cat Foods
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Best (?) US Cat Foods
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:00 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I've been keeping track of the foods I've bought so far and just tried to rate them based on ingredient quality and nutrient composition. So I thought I'd share my results. Here's my current list of top 10 canned cat food brands:

- Wellness - cats liked most flavors, but not all
- Pinnacle - they were not too thrilled
- PetGuard - they don't like it at all
- Natural Life - my two are divided about this food
- Avoderm - cats seem to like it
- Merrick - they were not too thrilled
- Solid Gold - just bought it, haven't fed this one yet
- Precise - just bought it, haven't fed this one yet
- Pet Promise - cats love it, it's their favorite
- Newman's Own - they were not too thrilled, but the vet recommends it

And here's my list of top 5 dry food brands:
- Innova Evo - cats love it
- Wellness Core - just bought it, haven't fed this one yet
- Pinnacle Peak Protein - just bought it, haven't fed this one yet
- Natural Balance (all breeds and life stages) - cats love it
- Nature's Variety Instinct - they eat it, but are not too thrilled

In general, dry foods didn't rate as high as canned foods on my list because they contain much more carbohydrates than a cat's natural diet and most have less protein per dry weight than most of the canned foods. Except for the Natural Balance, the dry foods above are all grain-free high protein/low carb foods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:04 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thank you VERY much for posting this Tameeria! I had been feeding my boys Iams dry food, as well as half a can each of Triumph in the morning and night. They loved their Triumph, but recently it's been discontinued. I switched to Wiskas pouches. Diablo LOVES them and eats his right away and then starts on Yukis dish. Yuki doesn't like it. Takes one sniff and walks away. I see him nibbling on the dry food more often now. I will have to try one of your recommendations.
Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Iams dry ranks rather low on my list, but I guess you probably suspected that already. :wink: If you're feeding Whiskas pouches, have you tried the Purrfectly Fish varieties? I think they're the best of the Whiskas foods (e.g. no by-products for a change) and my cats think they're getting a super-special treat and almost lick the bowls clean whenever I give it to them. I only give it to them as the occasional treat though as an all-fish diet is not good in the long run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Not sure why, but my breeder was giving them IAMS when I bought the little guys from her. I guess it must be cheaper then other brands if it's not healthy for them? Maybe I should look into switching both the dry as well as the wet!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:40 pm 
Senior Bengal

My breeder was giving them Iams to all of her cattery. God knows why; she didn't really say why, just that this is all they get(wet&dry)

I tried a piece of boneless chicken thigh last night, and boy howdy! I've seen them eat so fast and loud as this! Seriously considering switching them to a 90% raw diet, 10% dry kibbles as a between meal snack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I would definitely recommend looking for something better than Iams dry. I just looked at the ingredients on the adult formula (chicken) on their website and here are some comments:

Main ingredients:

1. Chicken - Chicken as first ingredient would be excellent on a canned food and it adds quality to dry foods. However, it can be a bit misleading. Chicken (or any other meat) contains a lot of moisture that is removed during extrusion for dry food, so the overall amount of dry weight contributed by chicken is probably much less than having it as top ingredient would suggest. The amount of chicken in the formula is probably 25% (minimum required by AAFCO for a "chicken formula" and probably what they use as this is the most expensive ingredient) and at most 50% (maximum the extruder can handle). Taking out the water (up to 70%) we are left with about 7.5-15% chicken based on dry weight after processing. The remaining 85-92.5% are made up by the other ingredients.

2. Chicken By-Product Meal - This is basically chicken slaughterhouse waste (e.g. heads, feet, etc.) processed by rendering to produce meal. It's a far inferior source of protein than chicken because there's less meat in it and the rendering destroys some of the nutrients, but it's likely the first ingredient based on dry weight in this food (see my comment on water in chicken above). A food with "chicken meal" instead of by-product meal would be preferable.

3. Corn Grits / 4. Corn Meal - This is called "ingredient splitting" and is used to make certain sources (in this case corn) appear lower on the list. However, the combined corn contents of the food might actually be higher than ingredients listed above and to me the splitting indicates that corn would likely be the "real" first ingredient if it wasn't split this way. Corn is a poor choice of ingredient for cat foods as it contains lots of carbohydrates, and whatever protein it has is poorly digestible. In addition, both these ingredients have been processed, e.g. corn meal is what is leftover after pressing the oil out of the kernels for vegetable oils. A food without corn or at least with ground whole corn instead of several processed parts would be preferable.

Looking at the ash value on the guaranteed analysis, it's "not more than 7%". If this food was based on chicken or chicken meal as the sole protein source, it should have up to 15% ash (even more for by-product meal due to more bones etc). The low ash value in this case indicates at least half of the protein is plant-derived rather than animal-derived.

In summary, I would conclude from this list that the bulk of the dry matter of this food is likely composed of the main ingredients:
1. corn (processed parts) - combined around 50% or more?
2. chicken by-product meal - around 42.5%?
3. chicken (what is left after drying) - around 7.5%?

Additives, flavor enhancers etc.:

5. Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E, and Citric Acid) - This is a standard fat sprayed on dry foods to increase palatability and a good choice for this purpose. Mixed tocopherols are excellent natural preservatives, but the citric acid might be too acidic for a cat's digestive tract. But likely there's not much in there anyway as it is just an additive.

6. Fish Meal (source of fish oil) - Not likely! As far as I understand rendering and meal production, the oil/fat is removed before processing into dry meal. (Real fish oil would be an excellent source for beneficial fatty acids.) What is left are just traces and the rendering process destroys much of the nutritional value. I suspect this is in here just to add fish flavor.

7. Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed) - A waste product of the sugar industry added for vegetable fiber.

8. Natural Chicken Flavor - Whatever that is... probably some type of stock or digest.

9. Dried Egg Product - Any "product" indicates a processed part instead of wholesome ingredients. Whole eggs would be preferable.

The rest is mostly minerals, vitamins and other additives. Taurine is 0.15% which is within the AAFCO requirements for dry foods (0.1%). However, other dry foods such as Evo or Core have up to twice as much taurine.

In summary, it's not the worst I've seen, but not the best either. Looking at the guaranteed analysis, I calculated it has at least 35% protein and up to 30% carbohydrates per dry matter. Some grocery store brands go down to 30% protein and up to 45% carbohydrates. So it's better than that. For comparison, premium high protein dry foods such as Evo, Core and Instinct have at least 55% protein and around 15% carbohydrates. A typical mouse would have about 55% protein and 10% carbohydrates per dry weight. Of course it would also provide about 70% moisture instead of just 10%, but that's an issue all dry foods have...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:23 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

http://www.spoiledbengal.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh yes, cats can be picky. And even the best cat food has zero nutritional value if your cat isn't eating any of it. :wink: I guess I'm lucky that mine are pretty open to at least trying different things. But then, one was a stray and the other a feral barn cat so they probably both had periods in their lives where they couldn't afford to be picky because their survival depended on eating whatever was available. I noticed a definite trend towards growing pickiness though. Their current thing is to pick at the wet food and then cry for kibbles - spoiled brats wanting fast food with candy coating instead of a good wholesome meal... *lol* Maybe it's because I went from free-feeding to rationing out their kibbles to prevent them from overeating. There's this theory that says as soon as you ration their food, greediness kicks in and they get into the mindset of eating as much of it as possible whenever it is available whereas food that's available at all times loses its attraction. Well, looking at their behavior, I'm about ready to believe that's true!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:40 am 
Bengal Cat

Im new but I hope you dont mind me sharing my thoughts...
I feed my new girl, and my old cat Felidae. I am very impressed with it. I switched from Science Diet, which I for a long time thought was wonderful, till it was explained to me that its the same quality food as most Walmart food, for a high end price. After researching it, I realized that this was the best food I could get here where I live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:53 pm 
Bengal Cat

I feed both my bengals IAMS chicken and 1/2 can of Fancy Feast canned food as a snack.

They eat the IAMS well and they gobble the snack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:16 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Post subject: