[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Hills Science Plan Veterinary Diets
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Bozita - yes i've tried that once....trouble is, William got most of it before Saffy could even sniff it. :lol: It does smell pretty good though.
I also took a trek to Pets at home yesterday in search of some wet food as Saffy just doesn't seem satisfied on the dried food alone - i found a couple of pots of Nature's Harvest.
Ingredients - 90% chicken, scottish salmon oil, cranberry, taurine, minerals & vitamins.
She ate a little but didn't seem overly fussed. :roll:
William however...yes, he loved it. :lol:
I will keep trying. I also saw another post where probiotic paste (amongst other things) was recommended. I've got some of that, i just don't like administering it to her... :shock: :lol:
Must also order some Eagle pack - thanks for the reminder! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I've just ordered a few tins of Bozita wet food to try my fussy pair on. Cosma and Grau Gormet are the next on my list to try. If they all fail, then I'll move down the quality chain and try Felix or something. At least they love the Eagle Pack dry food so they're not exactly starving. It's noticeable how much more shiny their coats have become since they went on it - even Dolly's nose has glitter now :)

The idea of bottled water is interesting - the water in Cumbria is quite highly fluoridated so I wonder if that might affect their tums. Next time I go shopping I'll get some bottled water and try them on that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:41 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Felix is awful!!!! Its only 4% meat and full of crappy fillers, ive just weaned Betz off that.

What you should look at is
NO corn NO gluten NO soya NO beet NO garlic NO onion NO wheat NO dairy.
YOU MUST HAVE TAURINE in there whether it is added or natural!!!! If there is a high natural chicken content including offal you will probably have enough occurance naturally.

Very interesting read

http://messybeast.com/cat-food-industry.htm

Toxic Food very scary

http://www.azmira.com/ToxicFoods.htm

Betz was on Royal Canin, this is what i found through researching food (she has a very delicate tum and was having loose stools)

Royal Canin

Ingredients: Chicken meal, chicken fat (naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols, rosemary extract and citric acid), rice, corn gluten meal, corn, chicken, natural chicken flavor(why if there is enough real chicken in there??), wheat gluten, beet pulp (sugar removed), dried brewers yeast, salmon oil, dried egg powder, soya oil, pea fiber, fructo-oligosaccharides, potassium chloride, calcium sulfate, sodium silico aluminate, DL-methionine, choline chloride, L-lysine, sodium chloride, sodium tripolyphosphate, taurine, Vitamins [dl-alpha tocopherol (source of vitamin E), L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C*), niacin, biotin, riboflavin (vitamin B2), d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid], Trace Minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, calcium iodate].
correct me if I am wrong anyone!!
If a product has a high enough meat content, then Taurine should not need to be added as it will occur naturally as it would in the wild.Taurine is essential to a cats well being. Depending on where you are there should be a variety of good wholesome foods. A cat living naturally in the wild would have a mainly carnivorous diet and would not eat corn and grain products. Most of which are really bad for the cats intestinal tract.
Anything with corn in is not what I would call a quality food. Corn and wheat are used as cheap fillers so they have to put less of the more expensive ingredients in and can still charge a premium product price.

I was struggling but found an organic human grade quality kibble. My local store buys it in now and it prices up cheaper than all the regularly bought foods science hills, iams royal canin etc, DO NOT touch anything by whiskas or purina as they are made from animal derivatives. (don't get me started on those!!)

Wet food I use:
Natures menu. Find your nearest Natures Menu Natural Pet Food Stockists
this link requests your postcode to show your nearest stockist. this is a good food
Tescos finest is good too.

for dry food
Orijen

If you are going to change your cats food do it gradually over several weeks, its rare they will convert to another food striaght away they need to get a taste for it without knowing ;) Gradually increase the good stuff and reduce the old stuff, It took me 6 weeks to wean Betz off Felix. Now she loves her new food and shes the fussiest eater i have ever met!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:48 am 
I agree with what Nursecroft has said, Its much easier to gradually the cats diet to a beter quality of food with better overall content, I have my pair on orijen kibble & they are doing well on it as it has a good amount of protein & does not bloat the cat in question.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:44 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi
what do you think about the filter water fountains? Do you think the water would be as good quality as bottled water? I am thinking of getting one, along with orijen and I might also get bozita ( but I am not sure of the beef, I read somewhere that bengals find beef difficult to digest)

sue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well...i agree with all the information on the good nutritious foods - i've been trying several lately to find which works best. I've learnt a lot!!
I believe that the higher the meat content, the better. I try and avoid any with maize/corn gluten meal and brewers yeast (which i have seen in Eagle pack?) as yeast can irritate a sensitive tummy too.

Hills I/D was prescribed by my vet for Saffy and i was shocked by the rubbish in it - although, to be fair, it is designed for cats who may have a 'meat intolerance' too, as well as sensitive stomach issues, although quite why all those 'cereals' are needed is beyond me...

However, Saffy's tummy troubles (Coccidia/blood in poo) started when she was stressed after losing her brother, as before that, she was on Whiskas with a treat of Applaws/Almo Nature once a week, supplemented with biscuits (Hills/Purina etc) and was absolutely fine.

Now, she can't eat any of it and is on Orijen alone, and maybe a little natural meat now and again - and i am finally starting to see signs of improvement. HOORAY. :roll:

William on the other hand, seems to be able to eat anything and not suffer at all!!! :?:

I also had a tabby cat who lived to the ripe old age of 18 and she never suffered any health problems in her life - i met her when she was 12 and she was brought up on Go-cat biscuits and nothing else.

Maybe, it's down to each cat and what each cat can tolerate, as with humans? Some of us can live on junk food and never put on weight, others only have to look at a burger and they're running for the loo.. :shock: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:55 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I've just been advised on another forum that Bozita isn't a good choice because the first listed ingredient is most flavours is wheat, closely followed by maize meal. Some people seem to recommend Tesco's Finest or Hi-Life 60%.

Sometimes I wish sharing your life with a Bengal wasn't so worrying - you want to do your best for them but it's hard to know what to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:59 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:16 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat