[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Getting a Bengal! Any insight to pattern?
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:03 am 
Bengal Kitten

Have a deposit down on a very adorable male bengal to pick up next month. I don't understand why I am this giddy about getting a Bengal (costs way more than a shelter cat!!), but I am.

I was wondering if some of you enthusiasts/experts could take a look at our little boy, i have his dad and mom in the picture too (the breeder sent me videos so I pulled some screen grabs which is why the kitten and mom may not be in picture perfect poses). She said his mom is a clouded rosette. Can anyone tell what sort of rosettes my baby will have? The pictures of him are 4-5 weeks old.
The breeder said that the center of his rosettes should lighten. He has a sister whos rosettes are already light in the center, and a brother whose rosettes are basically black. All of this litter seem to have really large rosettes compared to what I saw on other breeder websites when I was looking for the perfect one.
Silly question, but will his spots get bigger? I have seen some before and after where kittens with smaller spots turn into pretty decent size rosettes, they appeared to increased in size. My breeder is really nice, so I don't want to bug her with a zillion color questions. She did recommend this one over the other babies she had as being one that would have more contrast.

And I also need a way to ban myself from the cat section of amazon... Still have another month until we can go get him, and i already have boxes stacked in the hallway with stuff for him.

Thanks!!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1izV1f7 ... sp=sharing
(top two cats are parents, bottom picture is the kitty!)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi and welcome. I think the kitties in the pictures you have look stunning, but I have to admit that I've never been overly obsessed with the rosette styles and patterns and colors, so I can't really help you with your questions (hopefully somebody else can). I think he's a great looking kitten though, so I wouldn't be worried about it. Also, 10 years from now, believe me, 99% of your appreciation of him, and your satisfaction with your decision to get him, will be based on his personality and his health. Just keep that in mind while you fret over the size of his rosettes :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:49 am 
Bengal Cat

He's a great looking kitten and you will be very happy with him. It sounds like you wanted a cat closer looking to his father than his mother, and he has traits of both. The patterns won't change, but the spots will get bigger proportionally. He has a nice light background to the dark spots and the spots do have a light brown center. He also has a nice face. Overall he's a kitten I would pick and i'm a bit picky too. Let's face it, you want a Bengal that looks like a Bengal, and he definitely does.

Now, despite all the warnings, a bengal is a different breed of cat so be prepared. They are nosey, noisy, mischievous and demanding. Be sure you are ready for the commitment to pay attention to him. Initially it's not an issue because he's new, but in a few months when the novelty wears off he still wants attention. You'll love him to death, but depending on your lifestyle you have to give him time a couple of times every day. Also, everyone else in the home has to be prepared because he will be stealing, hiding stuff, knocking things down and grabbing at anything that dangles.

haha, a good example. My Jagger is jumping up nipping at my elbow while I'm trying to type because he wants me to play.

Finally, I know what you mean about amazon boxes. We went though that too. And we still do. Funny thing is he sometimes likes the box more that what's in it. :confused:

My conclusion is that to own a Bengal requires that you have a very good sense of humor. If not, you'll get aggravated. If you do, you'll be laughing every day.

Take the time now to cat proof the house so when he gets home he's safe. Covers on all electrical cords, anything dangerous put away, etc.

Good luck with your new kitty.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Based on the photos, I'm seeing only one adult cat -- and that cat is spectacular. One has to appreciate the new elongated rosettes which are not a trait of the Asian Leopard cat. I think that adult is stunning. As for your kitten, it appears the elongated rosettes will be present. They are dark now, but should lighten more in the center as he develops. As for the rosettes getting larger, they will as the cat grows. Bengal kittens go into a fuzzy stage where you really can't tell anything.

Brian is right -- I pay little attention to my bengal's rosettes. You just get used to their stunning beauty and what shines through is personality and love.

I do hope you will read through some topics about owning a bengal kitten. Please bengal proof your home like you would a child. Get down on your hands and knees and look through the rooms through the eyes of a kitten and make sure all wires, holes are covered up. They can get into the darnedest places.

Your kitty will be very fortunate. Kitties love Amazon and Chewy! As long as you have some wand toys and at least one tall cat tree, you will be fine. You've obviously gone overboard a little -- but so what. You won't be doing that for much longer.

Good luck with your baby. Hope you will stop by with more pictures. We would love to see how he grows.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:59 pm 
Bengal Kitten

here is the video of him the breeder sent me, its kind of dark though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC2M54EwP4c

Here is his mom, keep in mind she has a bunch of kittens to look after, she isn't on the breeder's website yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7MobIrG2IA

I have seen pictures where the inside of the rosettes change color a bit over the first few weeks, but we will see.

Thank you all for the feedback. This will be our second cat. I had a Norweigan Forest Cat for 17 years, he passed away 3 years ago, and going through that I thought NEVER again will I get another cat! I spent enough on him at the end of his life to buy around 3-4 bengals in vet bills lol... But it made him more comfortable. Finally I can now feel happy getting a new cat, and not sad thinking about my old cat.

I am excited about the breed because of the less shedding (everytime i swept/vacuum with my old cat, it was like I would find an entire cat's worth of hair) and possibly less allergies, as my husband is mildly allergic to cats, but really wants to have another one and he adapted to the other cat with long hair, so a short hair should be easier for him hopefully. And if we are going to pay a pretty amount I wanted to get a good looking cat :)

We are getting ready for him, still have a month til we can pick him up. Trying to remember everything my cat liked to destroy and making sure cabinets dont open easily etc. Luckily our house is mostly baby proofed from when my son was young and we didnt take all the baby proofing off yet. Reading as much as we can from these forums! Thank you all!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Wildlife Bengals -- I have many of their cats in my database. The mother is gorgeous. Your little one definitely has some large rosettes. He is super precious and I know you are going to absolutely LOVE that little guy.

The father PaintedCats Day Dreamer is an F10. The mother is not on their website so I can't tell you the F generation of the queen. If you register your boy, you can order a pedigree from TICA that would give 3 to 5 generations.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The thing that stands out on the video is that he is a talker! LOL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:21 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you for looking them up for me Sherry! We are about 1.5 hours away from them and they are really a very reasonably priced for the area. I also wanted a male brown Rosette and they just happened to have exactly what we were looking for! It’s so hard to wait 8 weeks to go get him (we found him at 4 weeks so have to wait 8 more).

Yes Brian, I noticed he seemed to be giving the breeder a piece of his mind. Too bad she put a soundtrack over it. The Breeder said all 4 kittens from that litter were very friendly and active, not shy at all.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Your little sweetie is going to melt your heart and you aren't going to care one thing about the rosettes. They will be beautiful, no doubt, but this little guy is going to really tug on your heartstrings.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:19 am 
Bengal Kitten

Got a new video today! https://youtu.be/26HiSko40S8

His face is a very bright orange it seems. 3 and a half more weeks !!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Whoa, those beautiful rosettes are lightening in the middle. He is really a gorgeous kitten.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 4:04 pm 
Senior Bengal

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:03 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks Chris!

We have him at home now and are going through the pains of a few litter box accidents. Had him confined to the master bath for first day and then let him into bedroom second day and he found a new place to poo! Cleaned that up and he is back to using litter.. he Is still really skittish though, under the bed most of the day.

Someone recommended he might need two litter boxes .. isn’t that a bit overkill for a bedroom and bathroom ?

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:23 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Glad you finally got "Leo" home. Honestly, there is no such thing as litter box overkill. When it comes to kittens, you can expect an accident or two. Just like when trying to potty train toddlers. You simply want to make it super convenient for him to find the nearest litter box. They don't has much control or know exactly how to time getting there. It will come as they grow. If you have him confined to a small area, one should be plenty. However, if you live in a large home or multi-level home, you need more litter boxes.

As for being scared and hiding. That is so normal. He has been traumatized from leaving his mom and siblings and the familiarity of his surroundings. You are new to him, new smells, new area to move around in. It will take time, but he will come out of his shell and then he will take you on many fun adventures. Until then, lure him out with wand toys and treats.

Congratulations on bringing him home.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:21 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you! Yeah I figured he just forgot where his litter box was. He loves to jump on the bed and play when we are in the bedroom but the minute one of us gets up to walk around or leave he runs under the bed. At night he is sleeping on his cat tree but during the day he sleeps under the bed!