It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hello, I am sorry to start this post with something sad but I need to share. Skip to the end if you don't want to hear a sad story.

My eldest bengal Natawni passed away recently at 12 years. She was the most loyal, affectionate, smartest cat I have ever owned and I had an extra special close bond with her, she will be greatly missed by all the family. My only regret is that I wasn't there when she passed. She became ill and the vet recommended an ultrasound to see what was going on with her insides (labs mostly normal), they had to put her under to do it and she woke up fine but unfortunately vomited and aspirated into her lungs and we lost her very quickly :( Such a low chance of complications but it happened non-the-less. They did an autopsy and we cant be 100% without sending in a sample but her intestine/colon was extremely abnormal (thick and hard) and she had enlarged lymph nodes all throughout her abdomen. It is likely she had lymphoma. It's amazing she was pooping and acting normal for so long with how bad it was. I am glad she had a very healthy and happy life until the end. Just wish I was there to hold her or and that she had went more peacefully and not in a scary vets office. The days before she became ill, she was happy and we found some wild catnip outside and she had a blast, we also took her out for a long walk just the week prior. At least we got to do some fun things just before she suddenly couldn't cope anymore.

That being said, we are already considering a new addition or two. Nothing could ever replace Natawni but she left behind her loving friend Onyx, a bengal we rescued from a shelter. He is 7 years old. He is a very social cat (both of them were) and Natawni was always happier once we had Onyx and I feel Onyx would benefit from a new cat companion.

I am keeping an eye out for a young rescue cat/kitten but also looking into breeders. I am even fine with an adult if I find the right one but its much easier to add a kitten (will keep my eyes peeled). My husband thinks we should get two because Onyx is 7 and suffers from asthma. So far, luckily, it is mild and has never needed any medication for it and it is not exercise induced, his attacks are from smells/dust mostly, and sometimes excitement about being petted. My husband feels we may end up in a position again where Onyx eventually passes and we are left with 1 lonely cat again.

My major question is, if we add two litter-mates (1 boy/1 girl or 2 girls), will Onyx become the 3rd wheel? He really enjoys other cats and playtime, so my hope is that he will be more of a "father figure" or mentor to the cats and that they will bond to him as well as each other.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm sorry for what you've been through... I'm sure it was very painful.

In answer to your question, no one can be really sure for it all depends on each cat's character. I'd recommend one first and test the water before adding another, if you go for a third.

Keep in mind, it's more responsibility for you to take care of three together.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to the forum. I am so sorry about your Natawni. My bengal just recently underwent an abdominal ultrasound (which was normal, thank goodness), Adding another cat or two ..... it's always a toss up. Cats have different personalities. And it's finding the right balance between the cats. The last thing you want is for Onyx to feel completely left out of the loop. I would suggest only one cat for the time being. You have no idea how Onyx is grieving for Natawani. And three bengals can be a handful!

Just keep your eyes open for the perfect cat. I don't know whether a kitten or an adult would be best. You know Onyx better than anyone.

{{{HUGS}}}

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:28 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thank you both. I think I will do 1 kitten/cat and if all is well we can add another in 1-2 years.

Onyx really loves other cats and dogs, he is scared at first but then his urge to play takes over. He is a super mushy boy. Natawni was even worse, had to be careful walking her cuz she would run right up to outdoor cats and dogs, even BIG dogs. She wanted to be everyone's friend. Really odd for a cat honestly... "hey who are you? Let me sniff you all over, check out my super relaxed body language, now we are friends! Lets play!" She confused the heck out of the other cats. She never hissed at Onyx when we got him, she was so excited and happy to meet the fuzz ball.

She snuck out and ran up to a HUGE lab, luckily friendly and just slobbered her, and last summer she got to meet a very friendly bulldog who's whole body was wagging which got some free kitty kisses. She was raised with other cats and dogs and I think she had it in her head that everyone must be friendly. New people coming into the house were a favorite too. We just met so let me crawl all over you and sleep on you. :D

Onyx is having some separation anxiety and cries if we both leave the house :( He doesn't like being alone. He has asthma so the stress isn't good for him. Definitely going to seek out the right cat/kitten asap.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just know that any cat you chose will probably NOT be like Natawni. Some cats are just super special and super friendly and aren't afraid of anything. But, you're looking for a friend for Onyx. I am sorry he is having such a hard time grieving for his sister. I know you'll find the perfect kitty.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:17 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I know every cat is its own personality and nothing can ever replace her.. She was certainly an extra special kitty to us.

We contacted some rescues and a few breeders and ended up bringing home a special girl today. She is about 6 months old because the breeder held back a few to see if he wanted to keep them. This was actually perfect because most kittens are sold very young before you know what they will be like.

We had two to choose from and brought the one that likes to be petted and was curious about us. He said she loves to lay on laps which is true! We have had her an couple hours and she loves to sit on a good lap and purr.

Onyx checked her out and he was very calm and just laid down and watched and let her do all of the approaching. She is much more unsure of him which is understandable as her whole world changed today and he's much bigger than her so he looks intimidating even though he is a very passive calm cat.

I will post pictures to share but I feel she will be a great companion for us all.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Congratulations!!! Hopefully, she will settle in quickly and bond with Onyx. She will soon know what a special home she has. Hope you will post pictures at some point.