[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Choosing between two stunning Kittens
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have found a wonderful breeder duo :)
And they have two kittens for me to chose from, one is a male, the other a female :)
(As a wonderful pet)
let me know what you guys think?

Girl

Boy

Is it just me, or are the girl's eyes very small?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:36 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Are you wanting to chose for the coloring or the rosettes, or do you want a cat with a personality that will match you and your lifestyle? Both kitties are gorgeous! I don't think the little girl's eyes are too small. It could just be the angle of the camera. Are you able to visit the cattery and actually hold these two and see which one seems right for you? You should never choose your pet from just a photograph.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:37 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sadly, I would prefer to rely on a breeder's judgement.
I suffer from a mix of agoraphobia and socialphobia - I have trouble being away from my home, even short trips to the groceries store are a long battle sometimes. I can talk with people on through the internet, but in Real life it also becomes difficult.

I've been looking for breeder's outside my country, since I spoke with the ones in it, didn't really click with any of them and I figured - since I'd have to reply on someone else, be they 2 hours or 10 hours away, I might as well find someone nice.

I'm not sure how to explain it :) After I spoke to this breeder, it just felt much more right than after speaking with many others. There's no pressure to put down a deposit unless I'm serious about one of them. I can also wait for new kittens, if it doesn't work out. I like that they are hobby breeders, raising the cats in the house with them.

This is perhaps just a test run - I have an insanely hard time making my own opinion about something. (Working on it through therapy)
So I thought I could try to ask here, maybe voice my concerns should there be any, with you guys who are probably much more used to looking at Bengals and hearing about them than my friends are.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

They are both beautiful kittens. In my experience with cats the males tend to be more outgoing so I do lean towards them when choosing a kitten.

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

They are both beautiful so I don't think you can make a wrong choice here. We had male cats growing up and they were sweethearts. As an adult, my last 4 cats were female. I am with Brian as to the reasons why even if the spraying thing is just a myth. I think the only way is to decide is to meet them one-on-one and see which one you bond with. Who knows, maybe you will wind up with both. Is there any possibility the breeder could bring them to you when you make your final decision? The rescue people brought my girls to my house twice and they lived 45 minutes away. Once for me to meet them and again the next week when I was able to take ownership of them. I know this is a different situation but it can't hurt to ask.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I hope and pray that when it comes time to take your kitty to the vet, your anxiety and social phobia won't get in the way. You will have to take the kitty to the vet at some point. I'm sure your breeder will select the best kitten for you. This sounds like a huge step for you .... I don't know that there is a wrong decision that you can make on this one. Hang in there. We are here for you. {{{HUGS}}}

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:34 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

My male Magic is very laid back but my female Pearl is like a tornado and a total nutcase.

After having a single bengal then adding another 4 years on, I would always have 2 in the future.

But if you have to choose one I think they both have good qualities male or female.

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:37 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

You should get both if you can! You would love watching their play and interactions! They are both gorgeous. I have also been partial to female cats as an adult - I find them inquisitive and still loving. I have two wonderful, playful Bengal females right now. But also a big male moggy who is a great cat!

You should ask the breeder about each of their personalities and go from there. Our kitties' breeder nailed both their personalities before we even met them, and they're still as she described!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:27 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Blondie and Grace's foster mom described Blondie as the out going one. But when they brought them to my house, Blondie retreated to the cat carrier and Grace was the one strutting around. The foster mom was surprised they switched roles like that. When people come over Blondie hides and Grace entertains everyone. When we are alone Blondie is always at my side and sleeps with me. Grace is much more independent. They are constantly going through changes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It eases my mind to hear you guys not telling me off - I actually asked this on a Danish cat forum too. Most of the responses were "why would you get a Bengal" or "Why would you buy when you can't meet it?"

I do actually go out - only accompanied though. My family is always ready to help me, so I am very lucky in that regard! We live within 5-10 mins drive of each other, all in the same city XD
I can, unfortunately, not pick two of them, though I would indeed prefer it :/ almost all "common" housing here would not let you have two cats. More and more places are placing restructions. Such as "you must show proof of neutralization, ID chip number, or all cats must wear collars with a special name tag" - In the Denmark it is kind of illegal to have your cat run outside. According to the law you are responsive for keeping it on your own property at all times.

I will definitely ask the breeder for personalities then :)
I am currently torn between two breeders
The first one, who had the lovelies on the pictures, has told me they have the run of a large outdoors enclosure. I am not sure if they will work they well as apartment dwellers, since they might've gotten a taste for running outside (I wouldn't blame them, it is rather nice)
The other breeder is from the same country (Netherlands) but keeps hers indoors or in a voliere. She lives in an urban setting. I have asked both for video of the kittens, but only the second breeder has provided any.
She has warned me that I cannot pick until after Friday, as a breeder is picking hers first.
All kittens in the litter are PKDef Carriers.
She will also be getting kittens later, in 1-2 months, which would also interest me.

I tend to obsess a lot over these kinds of decisions. I'm kinda going with the "just take a plunge" logic here - I have no sure fire way to know when I can get the kitten, but even if things go completely wrong, and I end up living with my parents or a while yet, I figure we will work it out.
I was initially concerned that an apartment of 400 square feet would too small.
But since I have all day long, and the intention to make many holes in the walls, I figured I could make up in vertical space what I lack in horizontal XD

I have found an American site that sells funny wall stuff for cats, such as sisal posts, play areas and what not - and a cat exercise wheel. Luckily one of my best friends live in America and will be able to send me tons of funny cat toys ^^

Thank you guys for your viewpoints! I am very happy to hear that you like both of them ;)
Hehe, even the grumpy looking girl - She kinda reminds of a big sis, looking all serious about the whole thing.

I have also experienced a lot of changed with our cats here, two guys, one 6 years the other 5. The 5year-old was incredibly skittish when we got him, I thought he was kind of a waste and wanted to get another one - Funny though, he is much calmer now and my baby boy. It happened so slow I didn't notice until recently that he had stopped flinching and running away whenever we approached him a bit fast(he is a rescue). The other one comes from a private seller, we visited a few times and we completely adored him - he climbed on us, was an outgoing explorer and loved to play. Around the age of 2 he completely stopped though. Now he will only play with us outside (sparingly) and he hates when there is new stuff in the house. I moved rooms 3 weeks ago, and he still thinks my bed (which he has slept on and had no trouble with for 5 years) is full of nasty critters who will jump out to eat him from the build in storage. He jumps over the doormat because he dislikes it, and has done do for years.
So I am not too worried about the personality :) whatever quirks the cat will have, I will still love it.
I will try to provide the best and securest home for it - so it can feel safe to grow and develope.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just a question of clarification:

Are you saying that you already have 2 resident cats in your 400 square foot apartment?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:11 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh no no no, the two cats belong to my parents :) I'm just so used to calling them ours, it gets a bit confusing - Sorry I wasn't clear on that. There will only be one cat in the apartment.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:55 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Last edited by brianj12 on Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:06 am 
Asian Leopard Cat