[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Pleasant Pond Bengals
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Pleasant Pond Bengals
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:46 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi all,

Hoping you have some advice on how to deal with a breeder who I'm pretty sure now is a scam. I purchased 2 bengal girls from Karen at Pleasant Pond Bengals back in May. Her website says she's TICA registered and at the time I remember checking and seeing her on the TICA website though when I check now she's no longer on there. We recently got my kitties spayed and per her contract she was supposed to send us their TICA pedigree papers after proof of spay/neuter. However she refuses to return our emails and the number we previously contacted her at/listed on her website is no longer a valid number.

We went online and looked at her reviews and turns out there are multiple counts of people saying she sold them sick kittens, with ringworm, internal parasites, and infections. This is consistent with my own experience as one of my 2 kittens had ringworm and both had giardia and ear mites when we first got them. We did not try to take them back to her to get treated as we just opted to treat them at our own vet, so I'm not sure if she would've stopped responding then as she is doing now. Some of the reviews online says that they're reporting her to the attorney general's office, suing her, etc. I'm not sure if that's why she decommissioned her number and is no longer responding to emails.

Not sure what is the best way to proceed- we would like to get their pedigree papers as we paid $1000 for each not counting the hundreds of dollars we paid in vet fees after. Is there a way we can get in touch with TICA directly for proof of registration? Is there any blood test etc. that can prove they're bengals? They certainly look/act like bengals but would be nice to know for sure (not that we'll love them any less).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:22 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi there!

I am so sorry for your experience. Scams are a terrible thing to happen to anyone :(

Firstly, you shouldn’t really, ever believe a breeder who tells you that papers will be provided to you when this this and this is done. Kittens should leave the breeder already desexed and with papers if they are 12 weeks old or more. If they are younger, they shouldn’t be leaving the breeder at all until older.

You can contact TICA directly to see if they can be of any help – if you go to the “Contact Us” link on their website, there are several email addresses you can try. Provide them with the details of your breeder, what happened, and ask them for any advice or recommendations they can give you.

Did this breeder give you a contract for your kittens? Did you sign a written agreement? Exchange emails? If you did, and you can prove that papers were owed to you, you can take it up with your authorities and seek legal advice. If not, and all your agreements were verbal, there is little you can do.

In terms of what else you can do… I am sorry to say, but nothing really :( It does suck, but there are A LOT of dodgy people out there and you need to make sure you do a lot of research before you make a commitment to purchase from a specific breeder. You can’t believe everything someone tells you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am so sorry you've had such an unpleasant experience with your breeder. I would also have asked that the kitties be neutered/spayed prior to getting them -- that way you aren't waiting for registration papers for months and months -- and you may never get them. Unless you know the pedigreed names of the parents, I'm not sure TICA can help you. Registration papers (which are blue) come with the name of the parents and their registration numbers. If by some chance the litter was registered, you may be able to find out that information. The breeder's name appears on the papers as well.

I just checked the bengal pedigree website and a lot of Pleasant Pond bengals are listed -- none very recently, but dating back to a birthdate of 1997.

If her emails are not being returned to you, then her email address is still good and I would simply write that you are wanting the registration papers -- I'm sure you have to prove your kitties are fixed. You don't need to go into a rant and rave about any health issues -- you only want the papers. She does have a Facebook page, but it's private.

I am pretty sure your kitties are bengals. Her website is still active so somebody is paying the fee. Google her name and contact any phone number that you find, but first I'd stick with her website.

Just know that even the best breeder can sell you sick kittens! I did see a few complaints about her. Follow the trail of those and see if there is a way to contact any of those people who may have some updated information on her. Keep us posted and good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I remember now that you posted a while back asking about this breeder and, at the time, all seemed well. I posted the link to the pdf file where this breeder was listed on TICA. Now TICA has changed the way they show the breeders (it's by breed) and they are no longer there. I don't know if this helps, but Karen is married to Grant Lemaster who is a doctor and practices in Mt. Sinai, NY. He is a psychiatrist. (I'd probably schedule an appt. with him and lay out all your problems with a certain breeder of your kitties. LOL). The information on the registration of the domain name is the same as what is on their website. You might also want to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau for that area. http://www.bbb.org/new-york-city. They may open your complaint -- that's not saying Karen will respond -- but you have to start somewhere. You have a breach of contract! The People's Court might be an interesting place as well -- file in small claims court.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:17 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks all for your suggestions. Something interesting just happened- Karen responded! Said she ordered the papers and it will take ~2 weeks. It might have been just a misunderstanding but we'll see. Stay tuned.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Let us know how it goes for you! Fingers crossed you get the registration papers.