[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Breeders are encouraging back street Breeding IMO
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:23 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

If a cat owner is willing to take the time to train the kitty to walk on a harness and leash or have an outdoor enclosure for the kitty, I still think the cat is going outdoors! And that should suffice! Keeping a cat safe is more important than letting it roam the streets. I'm still dealing with a cat who lives three blocks away and wants to spend all of his time at the end of my street and in my yard. Can't get him to go back home. The second they take him home, he escapes and is right back here. I'm terrified something will happen to him as he loves laying in the street and was nearly hit by two cars one day. He's the sweetest little kitty, but hubby won't let me take him in and Raiden hates the little guy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:15 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:22 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Look at this link if it works:

http://catchat.org/topcats/index.php?mo ... tion=34:34

This poor elderly cat has been waiting to be adopted for over a year!

Again "I would like a garden to potter around in" :rolleyes: .

How many people have overlooked this cat because they only want an indoor cat.

It's very sad.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Stupid me, clicked on your link, Debbie! I'm glad I'm not in the UK or I would adopt every single one of them. My husband is right. If he would let me, I'd have a houseful of cats. So sad to see animals in the shelter for years and years! They don't deserve that. I'd much rather have an older cat than a new kitten any day.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:19 pm 
Senior Bengal

Huh. Is it common for shelters in the UK to encourage letting cats roam outdoors...?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:07 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:10 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:14 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I didn't think they insisted on outdoors access? I was under the impression that if the cat had previous outdoor experience, it is just preferable. Reading this leaflet from Cats Protection implies it is the owners decision, but due to a cat's natural instinct if they can safely go outside, it can prevent unwanted behaviour and/or stress in the cat. But they give advice to help restrict dangers, and give for and against for both indoor and outdoor options.

http://www.cats.org.uk/uploads/document ... r_cats.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:27 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

If you are adopting the cat they shouldn't force you to let it out, they must lose loads of potential perfectly good homes that way! Everyone has to do what they are comfortable with. I can understand checking the person out to ensure the cat is going to a safe and loving home, but a bit extreme to insist the cat is indoor or outdoor.

They sound ever so reasonable in their leaflet!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just copied and pasted this from one of CPL's web page. This was pretty much what I was told when I contacted them:

"Although we do re-home to indoor situations, there are a few procedures and policies that we adhere to so that both the cats and potential adopters are happy! We do not generally rehome kittens to indoor homes if there is no illness or disability (such as FIV, deafness or blindness) involved that would make them suitable for indoor homes only".

Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:55 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The UK is big on letting their cats roam the outside world. It's just a different culture than the US. I know the UK still has cars and cats can get hit by one. The UK still has children who can take pleasure in torturing a cat. I'm sure the UK has adults who HATE cats and will do anything to make sure they don't get bothered by a neighbor's cat. I'm sure there are other cats roaming and fights can be a problem. Poor Street Cat Named Bob! I'm sure James does not allow him to just roam the outside (and Bob was an outdoor cat). Bob is worth too much money now and is about to be moralized on the big screen. I've always had cats who were allowed outside -- and didn't think twice about it. But after losing two strays within 3 years time and getting Raiden who was beat up pretty bad by being outside, I just could not find it in my heart to put him out there to fend for himself.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I've had outdoor cats too Sherry and at one point used to let Muskey and my other Burmese Titus out but they were totally unsuited to the outside world.

Muskey would get stuck up tress all the time and even got jammed under a neighbours coffee table! Titus was just as bad and would walk into anybody's house through an open door or garage. The final straw was when he got locked inside someone's house and they had gone off on holiday! I had been searching for him for 2 days and put notes through neighbours doors. Thank goodness one of the neighbours spotted him in the window and she had a key to the house. I dread to think what would have happened otherwise.

I've had neighbours ring me up complaining about them too! I had their phone numbers on tags round their necks. They would complain that my cat had beaten their cat up. We even had one neighbour who complained that our cats put dirty paw marks on the roof of her car every time she had it valeted. I told her I would tell them that next time I seen them, silly moo!

I was never comfortable with letting them out anyway so happily kept them indoors for the rest of their lives and I'd never let another cat out I don't think.

I've just looked at the RSPCA's application form and one of the questions is "Do you want a street wise cat aware of traffic". Is there such a thing lol!

Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

See, I *was the opposite. I grew up with LOTS of outdoor only cats. I grew up on a large horse ranch, so naturally we had lots of barn cats. I think I counted 18 once (which included 2 recent litters of kittens). Some were friendly, others mostly feral, They would come and go, stick around, disappear, get hit by trucks, etc. It was always sad, but was accepted as part of living on a ranch. My parents STILL have maybe 10 or so right now. The oldest (a HUGE black male named 'Bob') is 12 or so. They just lost my favorite kitty girl, a siamese looking girl named Cho, who I got as a kitten for my mom in Oct 2011. No idea how or why she passed....she just....did.

With Suri, I cannot IMAGINE sending her outside to fend for herself....EVER. Ive heard its 'cruel' to keep a cat strictly inside, but I disagree. Inside, she cant get stolen. She cant hit by a car. She cant get picked off by a mean kid, evil adult, dog, coyote, poion, etc. I KNOW shes safe inside. And frankly, she seems very content to be a house kitty.

I think its a bit ridiculous for a shelter to force families to allow their cat outside. Shouldnt that decision fall to the new family? They must lose lots of potential adopters..... Such a shame.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:06 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Debbie