[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Is a Bengal right for me?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:02 am 
Bengal Kitten

Ok, so my family and I are considering adopting a cat, and the beautiful, unique bengal has caught our eye. Before jumping into a bengal ownership, I wanted to make sure that it would work our smoothly.

We have a large, relatively active family with six children ranging from ages two to fifteen. We currently own on cat, Sherlock, and one dog. All of the kids are familiar with animals, and are very gentle with the cat we already have. Our dog is a beagle mix, twelve years old, and extremely laid back and easy going. She was raised with cats, and gets along very well with Sherlock.

We do travel at least few weeks each year. I can hire a pet-sitter if necessary, but would prefer to know if Bengals can become accustomed to traveling because I would prefer to bring our lets with us when we left. We already have a pet sitter for Sherlock because she hates cars, but we adopted her as an adult stray who had been raised a a a farm cat with little interaction. She is now very laid back, but gets sick on car rides.

We have a large house in the rural country. The bengal wouldn't be allowed outside free-ranging of course, because there is coyotes and such, but I would love to take her/him on a daily walk, because I've read they take to leash training well.

I wouldn't be getting one for some time, because I firmly believe in proper prepayment and research, and in getting any new pet there will be bumps in the road, but I would like to know if any huge problems stuck out at any of you who are familiar with the breed/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:48 am 
Bengal Cat

I think that if you find a reputable breeder that socializes their cats well, kitty will do just fine on your busy home. However, the breeder can't do everything for you! You will have to properly quarantine your kitty when you bring him home and make sure you introduce him to the family properly. This can take some time and lots of patience from everyone. If you follow the rules and all the kids do too, a Bengal kitten can make a great addition for a busy family. I definitely would recommend visiting a breeder with the whole family and pick a kitten who does not become shy with all of you around! let him pick you!!! You can also visit a TICA cat show to meet breeders near you!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

You definitely want a kitten who has been socialized around children and other pets. There are many breeders who do this. It is always best to visit the breeder and see the environment and be able to interact with your kitten. A kitten who has been around noise and clatter will do well in your environment, over a cat who has not been around anyone but it's mom and litter mates and kept secluded.

There are several people on here who take their bengals with them when they travel. It's really going to depend on the cat. You'd have to start training yours early. The biggest problem you have when traveling with a cat is that it will get away from you -- and become lost in a very strange place. I suppose if I were traveling to see family, it would be easier than trying to enjoy a vacation and worrying about my kitty.

Bengals are not for everyone. They are quite vocal. They are extremely active and love to play. They need lots of climbing places (cat trees, shelves on the wall). You have plenty of children to handle the play aspect. They are very social and want to be with their humans, so expect yours to always be where most of the family is. I'd definitely train yours to walk on a harness and leash and you have the kids to take the kitty for daily walks.

Bengals are beautiful and have very sweet temperaments. They can be a great addition to a family who is prepared for the little quirks bengals have (like maybe jumping in the shower or tub with you). I love my Raiden and wouldn't trade him for the world. I truly hope it all works out for you and your family.