[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Advice on choosing
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice on choosing
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:44 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hello everyone! My first post here, and it´s about choosing! 8)

I´ve been wanting to buy cats for about 10 years now, and I´ve read about it and seriously considered it the last 3 years. I´ve read quite a bit of information and stuff on the net, but there are some questions I haven´t found good answers to! So, any help from owners or (even better!) experienced breeders would be very helpful!

1. I´ve read a couple of times that people advice against having a Bengal as your first cat. Why is that? Is it because it´s such an active cat that requires a lot of attention, or is it the cost of getting and keeping them, or just for fear that people will buy the without thinking enough about it?

During the last three years I´ve been looking around on what breed I would like to have, and the Bengal attracts me more than any other breed. In fact, most others seem quite boring in comparison! (no offense to anyone, it´s just a matter of taste of course! 8)
I like the Maine Coon though, but the Bengal is even better (I know they are very different breeds...)
So, getting another breed doesn´t really feel like an alternative - I would probably feel that it wasn´t the cat that I really wanted!

2. I´m planning on getting two Bengals so that they can play with each other. Is it best to get them from the same litter, or at least litters that have been living at the same place during the same time? From the same litter could be hard since Im thinking of getting one silver rosetted and one snow.
By the way, do I have to have two litter boxes if I have two cats, or do they use the same one?

Ok, thanks! 8)

/ M

Post subject: Re: Advice on choosing
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

There is no problem with having a Bengal as your 1st cat, as long as you do the research and are prepared for them! It sounds like you've done this thoroughly so it shouldn't be a problem.

It will be easier if you get 2 from the same litter/breeder as they'll already know each other and have each other as a source of comfort when you bring them home. That said, as long as you do it properly you shouldn't have any problem introducing 2 kittens when they're young.

1 thing's for sure.... you're bound to have tons of fun!! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

What a brilliant and accurate post, Elaine!

Heather

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have to add that BB is my first cat of my own, although my husband has had a number of cats both growing up and as an adult. BB has made us well aware of Bengal traits :D She is a very demanding cat and by demanding I mean when she wants food , she wants it now! When she wants you to pet her , you will, even if you are in the middle of cooking dinner! Also about 8-9 p.m. she gets "wild" she rips and runs through the house like a mad cat! To us its entertaining and we all think its a bit hilarious, but we have a crazy house anyway!!! Also forget going to the bathroom by yourself :shock: I have found this out the hard way, when we first got BB she always followed me everywhere and I thought it was sooooo cute!! Now when you like to have a liitle "me" time its me and Bengal time :D If I am taking a bath she is sitting there on the side of the tub, if I am taking a shower she is batting the curtain, if I am putting on makeup she takes it and runs/bats it around. Even now when I am sitting on the toliet she has made a habit of making her merry little way onto my lap :oops: :shock: Also about the nails , it is very true that some Bengals do not know how or just don't retract their claws , because she NEVER does unless its to let go of something!!! This might sound horrible and like I am trying to scare you away but these are some of the things she does. In all honesty though,even though they might be annoying to some, I would not change one thing about her. I am like you I have never had a cat and always said if I did it would be a Bengal! I was lucky enough to have a hubby that got one for me for our anniversary and I am so thankful he did!!! I always thought that I was a dog person and could never bond with a cat the way that I did with dogs but I was 100% WRONG!!!! I have a stronger bond and respect for BB more so than any other animal I have had!! I truly hope this helps and hope that you can get your dream kitty!! If you are like me and laughing at all of these crazy stories then you might be right for a Bengal!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:40 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:03 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Brians Bengal Compatability Quiz:

1. I prefer cats that:
a. Are quiet, unassuming, and will fit effortlessly into our daily routines
b. Are constantly exploring, testing boundaries, and getting into mischief
c. are respectful of my home and possessions

2. When a kitten attacks my leg again and again, digging its claws in and drawing blood I
Let out a few cuss words and then:
a. slap the kitten on the nose to let it know it was bad
b. start researching de-clawing options
c. give the kitten a "timeout" in another room
d. ignore it, it's typical kitten behavior
e. shoot it with a jet of water

3. When a kitten climbs up my expensive livingroom curtain I:
a. laugh, and run for a camera
b. punish the kitten by withholding dinner
c. Try to keep the kitten out of the livingroom because it will surely do it again and again

4. Of the attributes below, select the one that you think is most important to you:
a. lets me hold it, and carry it around like a baby
b. leaves me alone when I'm busy and cant spend time with it
c. is a cuddly, affection-seeking lapcat
d. is fun and entertaining, and wants to involve me in its games

5. I cannot tolerate:
a. frequent loud, obnoxious meowing
b. rough play that is destructive to my home and posessions
c. frequently tramping dirty paws across kitchen counters and diningroom tables
d. all of the above
e. none of the above

6. When a bengal kitten climbs up a bookshelf, loses it's grip, falls, dragging a prized figurine with it which shatters on the floor. You're reaction is:
a. Kitten's fault, send the kitten to a "timeout"
b. Kitten's fault, withhold dinner until kitten can "calm down"
c. "I'm an idiot for not assuming the kitten would do that", and finding more secure place to store other such posessions.
d. Keep the kitten out of this room so it can't do any more harm

7. Your bengal kitten is being too rough with you, and you can't ever seem to spend enough time to satisfy his play urge, so you (select all that apply)
a. Buy a tall cat tree to help satisfy climbing
b. Get some interactive toys like da-bird to satisfy hunting play and tire hime out
c. Get a second bengal kitten around the same age to play with
d. Get a leash and harness and give your kitten regular walks outside
e. Open the door and let your cat run free outside

8. Which of the following are safe from bengals:
a. dinner preparation leftovers in a covered trash can
b. fresh baked bread kept in a cupboard above the sink
c. groceries in grocery bags, hastily put into a pantry room behind a closed door which closes with a latch
d. a sealed bag of dry cat food kept inside a plastic container, on top of your bookshelf
e. all of the above
f. none of the above