[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - New Kitten
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New Kitten
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:03 pm 
Bengal Cat

@romeoragan and gsgentry

This has nothing to do with being stupid or uneducated but it happens very often that people research a breed and their character ( if even that ) and forget to research the cat behind it. If one does some research on kittens in general you would very quickly find, that adopting a cat younger than 12 weeks is not a good option. It sounds trivial because its only a few weeks, right? But this has a reason! From the age of about 8 weeks they learn crucial things from their siblings as well as the mother as to how to act like a cat. For example how to be social and how to play ( not too rough ) and all that. Getting a cat younger than 12 weeks means you are much more likely to get a cat that will develop behaviour issus like biting, scratching ( cos it lacks social skills ) or toilet issues and even bein unsociable to the point, that they will not get on with other cats or strangers in your house. These last 4 weeks are really crucial in a kittens development. Especially critical is adopting a kitten so young as an only cat. In a pair or at least paired with another cat it can still learn social skills to a certain point.

I once had a cat that came to us with 8 weeks (he was from a farm and his mum was run over ) As he got older he became aggressiv when he didnt like something, played very rough and started peeing around the house. The animal therapist told us that this is typically due to the young age he was separeted from his mum and sibings. He never leared the social skills to tell us in a different way when he didnt like something, or how to play without drawing blood and his toilet training wasnt manifested enough. These are the problems one can face when you get a cat so young. It doesnt have to be but it happens much more often than with a cat of 12 weeks! And you have to admit that lots of people who then face these problems just give the cat away cos its inconvenient. This is why it makes me a bit "mad" when people dont know this before adopting a kitten...

What i am trying to say is, a bengal cat is not just bengal....its a cat. And we should also meet their needs as such.

Of course we've all made mistakes based on the fact that we didnt know but to be honest i find there are certain things that are a "must-know" before you get any animal as a pet.

No offence, but instead of worrying what the cats fur will look like later one should rather worry more about the wellbeing of their cat and research this a bit more.

Last edited by kaos on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:12 pm 
Bengal Cat

Sorry for ranting but this had to get out!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:21 am 
Bengal Kitten

Here is my take... Is getting a cat younger than 12 not recommended, well of course it's not. But let's put that and the health of the cat aside for a second. I didn't ask recommendations or opinions about the age or health of the cat. So in reality, thats really my business and concern!! I simply asked a question about the color of my cat. Period, end of subject!!! If you don't want to answer the question that I asked, then move along to another post!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:08 pm 
Bengal Cat

My boys looked very much like yours when we saw them on pictures that the breeder sent us at 7 weeks old...they now look completely different. One has gone much lighter and turned brown and looks like the photo below ( the lighter one ). The other has gone slightly reddish and is darker. When we got them we could hot really hold them apart. They looked so alike. Now they are so different. ( they are both brown spotted tabby )
Yours doesnt look charcoal to me. Its very difficult to say what yours will look like but when you see mother and father of them its easier. Our lighter one has turned very light brown like mum and the other reddish like dad.

Sorry to continue this but have you thought of getting a slightly older buddy for your cat? Wouldnt have to be a bengal but your little one would probably profit greatly from this! This way he wouldnt have to stay alone whilst you are at work and he could learn all that he has missed by being separeted to early.

I volonteer in switzerland for an organisation that rehomes cats and i sometimes check out potential homes to make sure they go to good homes once they are adopted. Most of our cats have been given up due to toiletting issues or aggression or shyness and rehoming them is difficult. Almost all of them have been taken too early from their mothers and siblings and have grown up as only cats. With this combination of being seperated early and being an only cat your cat is much much more likely to develop issues. ( In switzerland you can not adopt a kitten as an only cat. Not from shelters or breeders! Because it is known that this often causes issues later )

You should think about it. For your bengal....as well as yourself.

If you do consider this option you have to make sure the new cat matches your kitten in energy levels and dominance. And it should be a cat that has spent at least 12 weeks with mum and siblings. It should also be approx the same age, max. 1year old.

If you have questions you can always contact me.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I dont think any are charcoal all look brown spotted :) and are loveyl! :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:28 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Kaos -

To answer your question, yes. I'm picking up my 15 week old Bengal female this weekend, as well 13 week male. So I will have 3 total. 2 will be 13 weeks old and one will be 15 weeks old. I did this bevause I wanted the young one to have others to play with and learn from, much like you mentioned. I didn't mention any of this earlier, because I didn't want to hear anymore crap from people!! :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:41 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I totally agree and understand the importance. I never claimed it didn't make sense nor was it the right thing. I just have a problem when a member tells another that they "are really lacking the knowledge" when in fact they really have no clue themselves what knowledge I do or do not have. That is ignorant to say in itself!! I truly do appreciate everyone else's help and thouht on this. And I also appreciate the pictures that you all have posted!!

I will post updated pictures soon and I'll post the new kitties as well. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:18 pm 
Bengal Cat

Great news that you are getting 2 more kittens!

I do understand that you felt offended by some comments but also try to understand that members here do read posts from people that just dont know and care about any of the important stuff. Read yourself through the forum and you will see there are plenty of threads that will just cause people shaking their heads.
You shouldnt take this personally and maybe next time inform others better about why you are doing certain things.

Its very difficult to completely understand a situation by just reading a post so its obvious that one can just judge a situation by the information given.

I still think nobody should get a kitten under 12 weeks but at least the little one is now with someone that provides company for him so he can still learn what he needs to learn. Thats a good outcome i think !

I hope you have fun with your 3 "girlfriend-replacements" and you will keep us updated :-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:24 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Your attitude stinks and YOU are the one taking a defensive stance over something that is important as the health. When you post on a public forum, you open yourself up to all sorts of replies, FACT.

I did not insult your intelligence, if you think I did, that is your own issue.

I can guarantee that the majority of bengal owners made a mistake or two at the start. No one was insulting, as far as I see, you were given helpful advice and valid concerns.

I know I've made mistakes with diets, even though I did my research and the folks on this forum pointed me in the right direction.

Good luck with your new kitties

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:36 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I am finally posting a picture of one of the 2 additional kittens that I got. Here name is Xena and she is now 19 weeks old. I will get a picture of the 3rd one up soon.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:55 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Ok here are more pictures...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:01 am 
Bengal Kitten

They are gorgeous! Xena looks like she's got an attitude on her. Congrats!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:21 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

aw great to see they're all friends and cuddling :)