[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Personality differences
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Personality differences
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:09 am 
Bengal Kitten

I will finally be getting my bengal baby girl Jewell, in four weeks. I feel like it has been 4 yrs. I have noticed it seems most owners have male bengals and I am curious if you think there is a major difference, beside the sex of course. I decided on the female because I didn't want a bigger cat than possible. Is there known to be a difference in temperment, training ability, affection, in either one or the other? Are there any major behavior differences I should be aware of? Any info is much appreciated. I have bought a lot of products to keep this kitty busy beside myself, such as xtall scratching post, 2 condos, pinkcatwheel, heated bed, electronic and regular toys, special food and litter, etc.etc... I should have it as good.
I have had a lot of cats before but I realize this is a very special breed and I want to give it the best care and love possible. She will have her shots, spayed and micro chip when I get her. She will be 13 weeks old.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:14 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have 2 girls and compared to male cats in general, they aren't AS affectionate as in my male cats always wanted cuddles, whereas these girls come and go. HOWEVER, they both come to greet me in the mornings when I wake up or when I walk into the house after work, they love their cuddles, esp when my kids are asleep or not here :lol:

I would stock up on the same food that the breeder gives her and once she has settled, start mixing it with the food you have, each day adding a bit less of the breeder's food and a bit more of your food.

But most of all, enjoy your time x

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:16 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi and welcome.

We got a girl first - she is extremely cuddly when she wants to be, but it's on her terms. When she wants to cuddle I'd better sit down pretty bloody quick, or she'll be climbing my legs looking for snuggles.

We got a wee boy second, to keep Ember company during the day, and he's just as cuddly - but again it's on his terms.

I also find that they're far more affectionate during the colder months - which makes me feel a bit like a human hot water bottle at times - but it's just lovely at night when they're both cuddled up to us, purring and kneading.

Here's a lapful of cuddles...

As for other differences, Ember is a far better climber than Cassius - he's a clumsy wee sot - but he might grow into a more agile cat I suppose. (I do think Ember is smarter than Cass, but don't tell him I said that!) He is much MUCH noisier than her, especially at meal times.

For bringing Jewell home, make sure you have the same brand of kitty litter that the breeder is using, and a couple of litter trays dotted about the place. Kittens are like human kids, and can be caught short looking for the loo just the same. Start her off on the same food as the breeder is feeding, and if you are going to change food, do it slowly over a few weeks.

Have a safe room set up for her, and spend time in there quietly reading or on a laptop. Let her come to you, don't try to pick her up all the time if she is nervous. Some kittens burst out of their carriers as if they own the place, but some are a little scared and need a few days in a quiet place to get used to the huge changes in their lives.

Four weeks will fly by! It sounds like you've got pretty much everything you might need, but don't be shy if you've got any other questions. Good luck, and don't forget to post photos!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I got a girl too! The breeder tole me they tend to be less affectionate and a bit more independent than the boys but every cat is different. She still HAS to have cuddles every morning and tends to follow me around the house whenever I'm in and sleep on my lap when I'm around in the afternoon. In the end when you get her you wouldn't dream of changing her for the world, and from the sounds of it she's going to be a well looked after little lady!! Bet you can't wait!! :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:47 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:21 am 
Bengal Kitten

I really appreciate all the replies and advice that I received from my latest post in the forum. I have read each one carefully and I wanted to reply to a couple of things in general. Unfortunately the breeder I am buying my kitten from lives 2 hrs. away, so I haven't been back there since it was 2 wks. old when I first saw it. I have to trust them when they told me they take all the kittens out of their cages ( which are very large and inside the house) and let them run around each day throughout the house. I also have to believe they pet them, hold them, and see how they socialize with each other and other people that may be in the house. I talk to them every 2 weeks or so and they have an excellent reputation for good breeding traits and very reputable and I checked out all their credentials. I checked their facilities both inside and outside the grounds. I wish I could have visited them but it was not convenient. They also sent photos at 5 weeks.

As far as using the same food and litter, I already bought what they give all their kittens and they will send some samples home with me anyway. I have two rooms I can gate off for a few days when she first gets home, and there will be no other animals or anyone in the house. I will not rush her or try to pick her up as soon as I let her out of the cage at home, and it will be on her terms to come to me, as everyone suggested. I hope I can tell quite a bit when I do go and pick her up finally in 4 weeks. Thanks again to everyone and I will send photos when I figure out how to do it properly with this new computer.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

You may be aware of this, but if not I'd better warn you about the gate off comment... Bengals jump... a lot. I got my first ever Bengal at the weekend and although I did what I thought was kitten proofing, I hadn't counted for the fact she would be able to get on the top of my kitchen sides in 1 bound, from there onto my 6ft high fridge, then down the back of the fridge.... you get the picture.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:23 am 
Bengal Kitten

When I said gate off I meant to say I have two rooms with doors I can close to keep the kitty in for a few days. I just bet she can jump. Have you seen the great you tube videos on bengals and the animal planet l0l bengal cat..they are hilarious. To add to my layette I got a window perch and mr.drinkwell s/s/water fountain. You think I'm going a little skitso... never had kids so I must be making it up with this kitty..3 1/2 more weeks to go. I love all the beautiful photos on this forum, I will have to learn how to do it.
Thanks again for all the feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

just to add to your thread, as you've mentioned there are personality differences, so even though some might agree that girls have a certain trait, not all of it applies to all the girls or boys. Tigger is our 2 yr old boy and Nala is his 16 month old half sister from the same mother. They are complete opposites to each other (Tigger loves going outdoors, Nala's more worried; Tigger is friends with a black elderly Labrador, Nala's wary of all other animals; Nala loves being in new places and has no problems, Tigger is a bit wary even when we go to OH's parents' house every week when we're not there; Tigger loves the attention, Nala endures the humans' need for giving affection, etc) but the one thing they have in common is that affection comes on their terms. Tigger loves greeting us and getting fussed over when we come home from work whereas Nala's more independent, but both sleep at the foot of the bed with us. Tigger sleeps until either OH or I get up, but Nala gets annoyed when her 'bed' (ie usually on top of the blanket over our feet) moves too much and gets up early and occupies herself, sometimes gently pawing at our face and kneading her paws (what we refer to as 'paddy paws') until she gets attention in the morning. They both also love climbing into bed with us and snuggling up under the covers, especially since it's cooler here now.