[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Any tips for determining if a certain Bengal is a good one?
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:55 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think all sounds good with this kitten. If you are provided an address phone number and are able to see the kitten then I would. Like I have said I got lucky with my breeder I got BB for 500 she was one of four in her litter the others were 1000 but they had amazing coats and more of the ALC look. BB is and F7 like mentioned before I dont think that has anything to do with the price of the kitten! Just do you dective work and make sure the kitten is healthy. I know when I went to put the deposit on my girl I was presented with with a 7 year generation pedigree of both parents as well as all of their vet work. My breeder is best friends with the vets wife and I am sure she gets a discount she has her cats screened every january for HCM and she has had genetic testing on all of her cats but two, because those two were not of age to be breed yet!I can not give you a list of everything the cats have been tested for because I simply dont remember! The litter that I am picking from now where I am getting my male, she doesnt have a cat that is less than 900 so I think with BB compared to her siblings there was a big difference and I think the breeder lowered her price because of her being compared to her siblings and she was afraid of her not being placed in a home at the right age. This breeder maybe doing the same as well I see a cat of higher quality then what I have but again you dont know what is going on with the breeder. Just look into I would go see him for sure and see how he is health wise as well as his temperment. Dont be afraid to ask as many questions as you can to insure that you are going to get a good quality and most important a healty bengal. You are right about the paper as well. I dont get my TICA registered papers until I send my breeder proof of them being fixed!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:59 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

[color=#FF0000]guess nobody would buy their crappy products *unless* they did that to compensate. There's also a great line in "Tommy Boy" where Brian Dennehy tells a customer that he could take a poo in a bag and sell it to him with a warranty, but wouldn't he rather just have a better quality product from the start?

Sounds to me like my cat is being compared to a bag of poo with a warranty, and not a good quality product from the start correct me if I am wrong but is that not plainly stated in this !!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks BrianJ! you dont say things like that , you dont know me I dont know you and you surely dont know the health of my cats. Does it really matter to you or to anyone other than me , my, family and my breeder? No it doesnt I was just trying to offer advice to someone who asked for it! Of all the forums I am on this has to be filled with more rude people than I have ever encountered. its ridicilous and to be honest it makes me sick to the point that I called my breeder to ask why BB was so cheap . You think that since you pay 1000 for your cat makes yours better than mine , no it just makes me smarter I looked for over a year for a bengal, I have actually been wanting one for 13 years. I waited until I finally found a good breeder that I was comfortale with and that has healty beautiful cats and I lucked out and got a beautiful bengal. NO, she doesnt have the best coat and you can say she is ugly or whatever I dont care. POINT is I paid for her I picked her out SHE is my cat and she is HEALTHY. So keep your unwanted advice to your self!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

A 3 year warranty is no guarantee against HCM as it quite often will strike and become a problem after this age, you say tests yearly,
pk-def is only tested for once, have you researched the lines of your kittens parents/grand parents/ great grand parents for any HCM positive cats? having a 3 year warranty i can assure you is absolutely no guarantee against HCM, you should be researching the pedigree lines to way back, and make your own judgement, something most breeders dont bank on pet buyers doing.

Miki & My Beloved Bengals http://mybelovedbengals.blogspot.com/

Shiloh, Darcy, Rudy The Roodster & Ozzy...

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

no you are right I didnt research any cats other than the parent I know they are tested every january for HCM and I know that a warranty doesnt say that it cant or will not happen I am not saying that at all. I am saying that I know the parents that are under the control of my breeder are tested for HCM annually and they are all tested for PK deficency and they are all tested for your usual cat diseases on a regular basis. I do understand that yes it is better to pay 1000 dollars for a cat that comes from a line of tested parents then to pay 500 for a cat that isnt. I was just offended by the fact that they are implying that my breeder doesnt test her cats and that I paid for a cat that is not a healthy cat. It aggrivates me that people are so cruel as to think they know everything and they KNOW that since I paid a cheap price for my kitten that my breeder is not a responsible breeder. I know that probably 90% of breeders dont do the proper testing and still offer a warranty but some very few but some breeders do get their cats tested and offer a warranty! I am lucky to have found my breeder and to have got BB at the price that I did because she rarely sells a cat for less than 1000. Like the male I am getting is 1500 ! This is from the same breeder and the same Dad but a different mother!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thank you Jenda you are right I am out of line and I have apologized !

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:49 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I'm starting to get doubts. The cat looks beautiful imo but something about the price isn't adding up. I also am feeling wary that I won't have a few to choose from to ensure I get a good match. Is it normal to be able to have a few kitten to pick from when getting a bengal cat?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

In my case BB my girl was the only one left in her litter that was still available and she was the only one I had to choose from. If I were you I would call the breeder ask about all of the health info provided that we all seem to STRONGLY agree on, ask about the raising of the kitten has he been around children, does he have proper litter box habbits and things of that nature. Also ask what kind of food the breeder feeds him if you are not familiar with the food research it or post it on the forum im sure someone has heard of it. I would be cautious too thats is why I went to see my kitten and allowed my children to play with her and we stayed about an hour of course looking at the cats and all of the paper work including the details of the vet visits not only for the parents but the kittens as well. If I were you I would as her very bluntly, Why is he so inexpensive ? I wouldnt say cheap that sounds kind of nasty! I can see why BB was 500 because she was one in the litter that wasnt show quality. The kitten you are looking at has an extreme ALC look to him and a beautiful coat all of which should add to his overall value as a bengal! Keep us posted and let us know what you find out and what you decide. I would LOVE to see you get this beautiful kitten for 500 and that he would be a good match for you! Good luck!! I really wish you the best! If you cant get him a little saving will get you a long way. Amantra bengals is in that area and she produces TOP quality healthy well socialized bengals, but the price matches her kittens. She does have some that I consider exremely reasonable priced with the markings they have and from what I have heard of everyone that has an Amantra Bengal they are all great cats!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:37 pm 
Bengal Kitten

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I would just check with the breeders if you are hoping to visit two in one day as quite a few breeders will ask that on the day you don't visit any other cattery before you come to theirs to try to prevent contamination. Looking at a few different breeders is an excellent idea though as it will give you a chance to find a breeder you are happy with as well as a kitten.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:11 pm 
Bengal Kitten

So it looks like I can't see the bengals at Amantra because they don't typically do cattery tours and the ones that are available are too young. Now I really don't know what to do.

I straight up asked if there were litter box issues, or personality issues with the cat, along with any other issues that I should be aware of and asked for a reason to why he is priced 50% lower than the going rate. I don't get replies until after 8pm so now I just have to wait.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:10 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Last edited by brianj12 on Fri May 25, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next