It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:14 pm 
Bengal Kitten

8 years ago, I got an F6 Bengal I named Taz, to accompany Jakuta, my F1 Savannah cat--Both cats were 12 weeks old when I got them, and completely fell in love with each the moment they met, and have been bonded pair ever since-- These cats are the love of my life-- It turned out that Taz was that 1 in a million cat-- He was the most affectionate and loving cat I've ever had, EVER. He loved to lay on his back like an otter and have me rub his belly for hours while watching movies together, reading, etc.... He would gaze lovingly into my eyes for hours and reach his paw up and hold it to my face... He would demand dinner and shout at me if he missed me and I'd been out too long-- My heart is shattered. Yesterday I put Taz to sleep. He had advanced, inoperable lymphoma. It was exactly one month to the day that he showed his first symptoms (weight loss) to the time of his death. My vet told me that he has seen so many cases of lymphoma in purebred cats, much more so than not. Although I miss him desperately, and want so badly to contact the same breeder and "replace" Taz, (as if such a thing were ever possible), I am scared to death to face going through this again in another 8 years, so I've decided against another Bengal. My vet felt that a hybrid like a Savannah Cat would be a safer bet for living out a full lifespan. I'm going to throw this out there, just in case-- I want to get a kitten for Jakuta-- Jakuta is sooooo loving and affectionate, but my other cats are afraid of him, when all he wants to do is groom and love them. I need to start with a kitten that can bond to him. Jakuta took care of Taz and stayed by his side all the way up the very end-- I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm thinking at this point that I want to stay with what I know, and I know that Jakuta is the other best cat I've ever loved, so if anyone knows of someone with an F1 Savannah kitten that wouldn't break the bank, or would be (I know, it's very unlikely) willing to donate one, I would be eternally grateful beyond what I can express. Taz's medical care has left me in a financially diminished position where I can't just spend that kind of money now. I have an beautiful indoor/outdoor 1200 s.f. habitat full of gardens and cats walks, etc. will always provide the very best vet care, premium food, and all the love one could ever hope for-- Taz had a beautiful life-- Thanks for reading. Pam

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Pam, I am so very sorry to hear about Taz. It's important that you grieve over his loss and not jump into something immediately. You know all cats are different and the next one you get may be nothing like Taz. Seems as if he was one in a million. He was so handsome. Bengals can live 15 years. Mine is currently 8 years old and healthy. Hybrids seem to have more problems due to the early breeding pool. Lymphoma can happen in any cat.

The fact that you other cats are afraid of your savannah (those can be large cats), there's no guarantee a kitten won't be the same. You got your bengal and savannah at the same age, so it was natural for them to gravitate toward each other.

Please don't be in a rush to replace Taz. Explore all the possibilities and do all the research you can on breeders. Save your money up! You have other kitties to love on and this could be an opportunity for you to have your other kitties lose their fear of your savannah.

{{{HUGS}}}

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:50 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

It's just the hardest thing ever to say goodbye to a beloved cat such as Taz. Such a sad story. Pour all your love into your other cats. It sounds as if you have a few! As Sherry says, to introduce another could work but it could also be a disaster. I would take time to come to terms with losing Taz and try and make the decision re another cat with your head and not your heart. Wishing you all the best and sending you hugs. x

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal