[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Getting acquainted
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting acquainted
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:14 pm 
Senior Bengal

Well, my husband and I have just recently added a female marble to our family! Her name is Bella, she's 9 months old, and a dainty 8.2 lbs. :) She is considerably smaller than Leo, who is about 13 lbs (he turned a year on March 26). We've been introducing them gradually, and everything seems to be going ok so far. Leo certainly is showing his dominance though, by placing his paw on her back, or pouncing on her head. They talk to each other, sniff noses, but for the most part, she is so engrossed in exploring the house that she barely pays him any mind. Could this be why his advances become increasingly rough? They are both fixed, but he is so intent on getting to know her, he gives her no space at all right now. It's like he has blinders on, I can't even distract him with his favorite toy! lol

Right now, I let them communicate and behave as they are, but under watchful eye. If I see he's getting too rough, I put her back in the bedroom and let him calm down a bit, then we start over the next day. Is there any behavior I should look for, or be worried about during this period? We only put them together when we are both home, just in case anything were to happen. She is showing more initiative to come out of the bedroom though, like this morning, she nosed the door trying to get out (we actually have it locked, so Leo doesn't open the door from the outside - he's learned to do that).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:29 pm 
Bengal Cat

Congrats on your new baby!

Sounds to me like you are doing everything right. Your situation is similair to when I brought my girl moggie, Zara, home to meet my boy moggie, Toby. Toby was 6 mos and Zara was 4 mos. Toby immediately wanted Zara to play with him while Zara wanted to explore her new surroundings. You might try putting Leo in Bella's room and let Bella roam free of Leo's attention. This might speed up getting her comfortable.

As long as there is no blood, everything is probably OK. I'd be a little worried about their size difference in the long term. I wouldn't think Bella would gain more than a couple more pounds before she stops growing. Hopefully they will work out how to play together without Leo huring Bella. Zara actually weights more than Toby now (12 lbs vs 10 lbs) and I think that helps a bit to offset Toby being the rougher player.

Good luck,

Medora

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:04 am 
Senior Bengal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:40 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi LunchMeatMonster,

Leo sounds like he's full of it :lol:

I think it's good that you bought a female as 2 boys together usually bothwant to be top dog !!
Honestly Bella will let him know who's boss. She'll soon find her ground and put him in his place :lol: :lol:

It sounds like she doesn't seem intimidated by him when you open the door for them to meet. I think when he plays rough she'll soon bite him back :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:53 am 
Senior Bengal

LOL Yeah, I really hope so!

She's gotten very comfortable in our bedroom, she's finally eating and drinking well, using her litter with no problems, and following us around the room talking up a storm. She's got this tiny, scrappy-sounding meow, just a little rough around the edges... it's so cute!

Well, she had us laughing last night... as we were settling down in bed, we hear Leo talking to her on the other side of the door. Not in meows, but this little soft "brrrrrrps" he makes, with different inflections up or down. She goes over to the door, sits close, just listening. This went on for about 5 or 10 minutes, then she comes up onto the bed purring, to curl up with us.

I think Leo gave her some little secrets, about how to keep us UP all night! haha! As I gave her belly a rub, she stretches out, rolls around the bed, and then starts wrestling with my arm! She kept trying to bite my palms (but in her case it felt like nibbles lol), and then she started running around the bed chasing our feet under the blankets, biting our toes and legs. We laughed so hard, thinking ah-ha! So that's what he was telling her to do. lol She finally did calm down, but she was definitely up and about many times during the night, not as sleepy as she was the night before. Looks like she's gotten the rest she needed (from her flight and fear of the first 2 days), now she's starting to show her true self. LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:33 pm 
Senior Bengal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi There,

yes Bengals do plaay rough, even mums will with their youngsters. My kittens mum's will get them in a head lock and kick them really fast with their back legs.....SOOO FUNNY :lol:

Your female would honestly turn on him big style if she didn't like him. Keep both their claws cut so they can't hurt each other with them and she WILL turn around and bite him back if she gets really annoyed with him :wink:

He's probably so excited that he now has someone to play with. It might be a good idea to leave them together for longer periods. But remember Bengals do like too play rough :D

She will be the boss of him in the end....females are 8) [/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:46 pm 
Senior Bengal

LOL Thanks for both of your replies, that does put me a bit more at ease. It's so hard not to be nervous for the new girl, but I'm trying to restrain myself a bit now. We are still monitoring their time together, and most certainly won't leave them alone together until we're sure they're ready.

They are together right now, actually. When I got home from work, Leo was there to greet me, and no sooner had I put my things down then he was walking hurridly up the stairs, looking back at me every few steps, as if to say "can I see her now?" You can tell he looks forward to these "moments." lol

Well, he stalked her around the 2nd floor, swatting at her hind leg to get her attention, she would turn around and meow as if to say "don't touch me!" and then he'd back off a bit. But a few times she want to run ahead, and that triggers the chase! He goes right after her, tackle, they roll around, and she's making those god-awful screeches. She'll get away, hide under the bed, and then 5 minutes later comes out again to nose him... then same scenario all over again. A few minutes ago they were both locked facing each other, paws around each others' backs, just biting each others necks. She's the only one that makes any noises...? You don't hear anything out of him except his questioning "brrrpps" when they separate. This last time, after she ran under the bed, he was purring up a storm! My husband things maybe he is courting her? Leo and Bella are both fixed, but another friend of mine said that even so, he will still attempt to follow nature without actually being able to mate. Is that true?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:47 pm 
Senior Bengal

Yes, she was spayed about a month before we got her, and he was neutered as soon as he was old enough.

We HAVE been having fun watching them, and my anxiety over her "getting hurt" is slowing fading. As they spend more time together, I see how she is "learning" to get back at him. Now that she's more familiar with the house, she's paying more attention to him and where he's at. She attacks him from under the bed, teasing him... it's really funny! There are now times when they'll tumble and not make much noise, and other times she'll make A LOT of noise, but I still don't see any blood or limping, so everything is OK. 8)

I just can't believe the two of them have so much energy! Leo just keeps going non-stop, constantly after her to play! Even when she wants to just lie down and catch her breath, he's standing there looking, and gradually advancing to swat at her like "c'mon, let's go! why are you sitting!" LOL It just makes me wonder at all the pent-up energy he had BEFORE she came along, no wonder he was always biting me! lol He wanted me to be his playmate, but of course we humans don't like to be chomped on. :lol:

I actually had to put him out of the bedroom last night, they wouldn't let me sleep! So far, all of their play has been limited to the upstairs, mostly in the bedroom (I think she loves having the bed to hide under), He barely fits under the bed now, but he's been squeezing himself under anyway, to tumble with her there. So needless to say, them thumping around and yelling at 2am isn't conducive a good night's sleep. lol I don't want to toss HER out though, because this is only the end of the first week, and her food and litter is in there; I'm also reluctant to take away her comfort zone just yet, I think it's too early. She likes to sleep with us (so far), and Leo never did. He was always more inclined to run around the room, bite our feet, jump on my head, climb all over the furniture and curtains, knock over anything that moved...lol you get the picture! She is much more calm at night, and will sleep through curled up next to me (as long as he's not in there).

Leo really is a character, but it's showing ever more now that he has a playmate. I was nervous at first, but now am VERY glad we got her. I LOVE seeing him so happy and playful, even though he practically ignores us now. lol He's so focused on her ALL the time, that if we try to pet him, he just moves away without taking his eyes off her (or the spot where she disappeared lol). He has forsaken his own litter box for hers, and shares her dry food as well. I remember the day he "noticed" her bowls and bed were there, it was so funny... he looked over, did a sort of "double-take" and jumped in place spreading all 4 paws out, staring... I laughed so hard, and told my husband look, he just thought "OMG, SHE MOVED IN!" :lol:

I will have to take some photos and sound clips of them. Leo was always talkative, but is now even moreso. He's even making new sounds we haven't heard before, and it's so cute! She doesn't talk like he does, she's still pretty quiet most of the time (but she has her moments), and he'll just sit there and babble away to her. hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi again,

Leo sounds ADORABLE !!!

Hurry and post some pictures of them both, I'm dying to see them together :D

He sounds so happy and full of cheekiness..A TRUE BENGAL :lol:

I'm so happy for you and that it was the right decision getting a second cat. I'd recommend 2 cats any day....much more fun to watch :wink:

Don't you just love them :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:27 am 
Senior Bengal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:33 am 
Senior Bengal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:23 am 
Senior Bengal