It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Amazon Kayley brought home two more field mice for play with Bailey joining her for the chase around the open patio. The empty plastic flower pots have been arranged as as obstacle course for their chases. Kayley was helping me when 14 quails came by and she gave them a very stern lecture warning them NOT to trespass on HER property. No dummies, they move on and she rolled over for me.

ptolemy and Bengal 3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:06 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Controlling the rodent population is important. I'm hoping that you dispose of these critters and they aren't eating them. I hate the thought of cats eating any type of possibly diseased animals. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:09 am 
Bengal Kitten

My cats are not of a hunter, they just simply love to play together, annoy my Pomeranian, and chase their mouse toys.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:48 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Kayley brought field mouse #16 home for play on the patio, so that puts her at 13 to 3 over her brother! He, however, remains the closer in 14 of 16.

ptolemy and Bengal 3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:55 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It is 32 outside and Kayley is out hunting for field mice. Yesterday, she brought one home and when it climbed to the top of HER chair on the patio, she leaped and swatted it 5 feet onto the lawn and after sniffing Bailey, the two could not find it. Kayley has a very short fuse and when it goes off, it is fun to watch, though the boys know we need to be a safe distance away!

ptolemy and the Bengal 3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:27 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Brr. Hasn't gotten below freezing here just yet. Raiden has two heated beds it his enclosure. The cold doesn't seem to even bother him -- nor the snow. He was chasing a mouse the other morning that finally hid under a leaf. Thankfully, Raiden was on a leash and I would not let him get that close once I discovered what it was.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:50 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

The current catch count is 17 field mice with Kayley catching 14 and Bailey catching 3 but on "closing" the rodent, Bailey is ahead 14 to 3. Kayley has also brought two birds home and Bailey none, though i maybe should count his "quack" sounds as a duck catch?

Spanky in his prime brought a crayfish in from the lake that formed the back yard in the other home and dropped it in the pool! His other catch was a large possum caught trespassing in the garage......

ptolemy and the Bengal 3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:54 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Bailey caught his first bird today and he was really excited! He was dancing around on his rear legs tossing it from his left front paw to his right front paw. After 20 minutes of play, he let his favorite sister, Kayley play with it and she tossed it up near the 12 quails watching the two of them and she wagged her tail at them. Bailey was so exhausted that he napped for at least 5 hours, he is still napping now.

In other news, 19 year old Bengal Spanky was so excited drinking his first ice water from their fish tank on the patio that he was drinking it for 10 minutes. Spanky moves only counterclockwise around their fish tank to drink. Kayley sampled the water with the ice sheet floating on top and decided that it was too cold for her. Bailey pawed the ice and knocked some out of the tank to make his licking of it easier. Maybe a male Bengal trait?

ptolemy and the Bengal 3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I try to save all the birds mine catch! But sometimes I just find feathers. I hate even having them kill little field mice. They are super cute. I know .... it's just the hunt instinct in cats. We've lost a lot of chipmunks this past summer because Legs loves to get them. I would find them dead in the yard. And if I didn't pick them up immediately, he would move them to another location. We have a problem with moles in the yard and Legs is great at catching them, too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

That is a good thing to do. one bird had been teasing Kayley and Bailey the day before so they were motivated to look for it and no birds teasing them today. Hunting is their "call of the wild", though chasing each other on the back lawn is their morning activity today. Kayley was stalking Bailey once she charged at him, he charged at her and off they went.

ptolemy and the Bengal 3