It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Aluminium Foil
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:14 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I just got a new Bengal girl she's now 17 weeks and has had 3 accidents in the house. She pooped twice and peed on my husband's leather seat early in the morning while I was playing with her and my fault being I should have been sitting in my hubby's seat and her in the cheap one beside that is supposed to be hers and our third dobbie down the road in more than 1 year once Honey is settled. I ruled that one as baby mistake playing and not taking time to go to the bathroom. The other 2 accidents she pooped on one of the carpet in the entry of the house again no big deal but she is trying to tell me something. I'm working on the pooping ie put a box there, put only clump litter removed the yesterday's newspaper pellet from the box, remove the carpet 2 days now with no accident fingers are crossed. My point being with the peeing on the seat I placed aluminium foil on both our leather seats and guess what no more coming down from her tree and going over the seats, no more playing on the seat. The first time she jumped on it she bolted, she touched it with her paw after and said "hum nope I ain't touching that anymore I don't like the looks of it and the sound of it" so I found the most human way (positive punishment) to deter my cat from going on our seat, Aluminium foil laid across the seating part, bingo problem solved now before she starts jumping on the counter I've laid the largest aluminium foil (the turkey one) across all my counter except the island I don't care about the island there's nothing on it and I have a good disinfectant made for the counters in restaurant.
So peeps if your bengal is on something that you don't want him or her instead of using a spray bottle which will make your bengal afraid of you.
Anyway that's just my 2 cents I know alumium foil will deter mine for just about any bad behavior or somewhere I don't want her.

Post subject: Re: Aluminium Foil
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:23 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to our forum and congratulations on your bengal baby. I hope you have taken her to the vet to be checked out. Most breeders require that in their contract. Just to get a clean bill of health and start a medical chart on your kitty.

MOST kittens do not have bathroom accidents. They use the litter box without fail. Thus, something medically could be wrong but I'm guessing your cat does not like the litter box. You should be using exactly what the breeder used as far as type of box (open or hooded) and the litter. I read the word "pellets" in your post and many cats hate pellets. They may be more convenient for YOU, but the litter box is for the convenience of your cat, not you. If you want the cat to go where she is supposed to go -- make the box for her and if you need another litter box somewhere, get one.

Make sure you purchase a cleaner made especially for cat urine as cats will go back over and over again to the same place if it is not cleaned properly.

Aluminum foil is a great deterrent, however, who wants to live in a space-age looking house that appears aliens are living there. :biggrin: The key is to train her to not go on the things you do not want her to go on. This means having a LOT of things for her -- at least one cat tree, multiple cat beds that are HERS and hers alone.

Bengals are very social and want to be with their humans, thus make sure that you have plenty of laying spots where you cat can be comfortable. Mine is usually on a platform on the cat tree or his large bed on the ottoman. At night, he sleeps at my feet.

Having a bengal is obviously new to you. The breed can be challenging .... and there is plenty of info to read online and in this forum. Take advantage of the advice and enjoy your baby.