[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Thinking Of Getting A Bengal - PLEASE READ
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:53 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Piper has Giardia in her feces and an Upper Respiratory Infection. She looks like hell. I called the breeder and he came and got her and is going to nurse her back to health. He told us this breed has a very delicate health balance and immune system due to their fine-tuned genetics and I am not to feel bad. I wish I had read this on the forum BEFORE I got her. She sickened so quickly that it scares me. So, I don't have Piper anymore. I have Sebastian and Kennison though. They aren't sick as far as I know. Wow, what a challenge these little critters are. I applaud all of you who are having good luck and enjoying your Bengals. I found her to be just too delicate for me and expensive. I had her to the Vet three times w/medicine in the week and a half I owned her. I miss her but I don't seem to have the knowledge that it takes. I had the love and nursing abilities but not the money nor knowledge. :sad: Take good care and for those who are thinking of getting a Bengal DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE getting one. They are beautiful little lives that can sicken easily. They are a persnickety breed. My Vet doesn't even like them! He doesn't like their willful temperaments. :eek:

Love to all!!
Sandra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:26 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

How long had you had Piper?

They aren't a breed known for their "delicate health balance and immune systems." I see you've only had her for a week or so -- frankly, it sounds like she was ill when you got her with infections that could likely have come from the breeder and he probably doesn't want you to raise a fuss.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am so very sorry about Piper. Know that parasites are extremely common. They can be easily treated as well. I'm worried in that you said the breeder was going to nurse her back to health. Hopefully, they are not trying to do this on their own. I know many breeders medicate their own cats -- but a vet should be treating this kitty.

Yes, many kittens go to new homes with no issues, but parasites and an upper respiratory infection -- these are contagious among cats, so if one cats has these issues, other cats can become infected. This is not Piper's fault.

Unfortunately, kitties have health issues, just like humans and vet visits are common and can be expensive. I'm currently treating mine for IBD and it has cost me $1,800 so far with more vet visits on the horizon (next one July 25). But, he has gained FOUR pounds and has stopped vomiting, so money well spent.

Sad that your vet doesn't even like bengals. My vet treats many as well as Savannahs and has no issue with the breed at all.

Please know that the situation is not your fault -- it's the breeder's fault for not keeping his cattery spotless and treating cats who become ill. Obviously, Piper contracted these things from other cats, so he has to have other cats who are showing symptoms. Please keep an eye on your other two cats as they may contract the same conditions.

I pray Piper gets better and finds a wonderful home.

Please do me a favor and PM me the breeder's cattery name. I'd like to make notes in my database on them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:10 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Here's the thing... the two problems that you faced are neither specific to the bengal breed, nor are they challenging to deal with. Whatever cat you get, there is one thing that is certain... they will face MUCH more severe and difficult problems to deal with than these.

Upper respiratory infections are really common in kittens. They are young, their immune systems are not fully mature, they are rehomed, there is a lot of stress, and they get an URI. But it's really not that big of a deal. Hardly even worth a footnote in the various problems my various cats have had. You take them to the vet when you first start seeing the symptoms, they get an exam, they get a shot, you take them back home, they are quiet and mellow for a couple days, and it's over.

Parasites are also really common in kittens. You take them to the vet, they run some exams, you get a bottle of pills, they get a pill every day for awhile, and then it's over. Again, barely even a noteworthy event in their lives. The ONLY reason why these problems became more of a problem, is that you refused to go to a vet when your cat first became symptomatic, you ignored everyone's advice, and now you blame it on the cat. Nice.

You think that getting a less expensive cat, or a cat from a shelter is going to make the cat less likely to have these problems? That's silly. But like I said, even if it were true, it shouldn't even be a concern, because there are so many worse things that ARE going to happen. Seriously, if managing a cat with a URI and a parasite overwhelms you, then you should own goldfish. I hope you don't compound your earlier mistakes by now getting another cat.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I can understand where Piper's owner is coming from. You get a kitten and expect it to be healthy and you go on from there. Nobody wants to adopt a kitten and then have multiple vet visits. She posted she had three vet visits with Piper in the week and a half she had her. She obviously was given medications, but even giving meds is not the easiest thing for the owner or the cat. I hope they have developed shot for upper respiratory infections because I had to give my cat pills AND nose drops! Ugh!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:14 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I appreciate all of your responses. My two other cats are still disease free thank god. This whole thing with Piper has me down as I really loved her. I do think she was sick when I received her. She was sneezing and the parasite was in place already. I had to quarantine her so my other 2 cats wouldn't get sick. It seems to have worked. So the last three days she was with me I had to go out on the porch to visit her, she didn't have the run of the house. So it is not as if I miss her being part of the cute herd. BUT! I do miss her as I was nursing her back to health I thought. I hoped. My Siamese and my Lynx Point are closer to DSH I guess and seem to be a heartier breed. Kennison weighs 15 pounds though. How do you get a cat to lose weight? The house is a little emptier without little Piper. :cry:

Thanks everyone!
Sandra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hopefully, your life will return to normal. Great that you quarantined Piper from your other kitties, but I'm sure she had no idea for the reason. She just felt poorly. I hope she is getting better at the breeders and another family with adopt her.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:03 am 
Bengal Kitten

I am shocked by the title of this thread ("Thinking Of Getting A Bengal - PLEASE READ"). This is stigmatizing, in a way that is aimed at not being ignored (cap letters), an entire breed without any rationals for doing so.

I also find it ironical that someone who gave up her kitten (named Piper) because she was sick dares create a thread using her forum name, when that name still is "Pipersmom": real moms don't abandon their kids as soon as they get ill...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

To shed a little more light on this, Piper was bought from a backyard breeder through an ad on Craigslist. I know we shouldn't judge where someone gets their kitty, but we know BYB do not scan for any health issues and probably do not keep their facilities clean and free from other medical issues. Those who want a bengal and do not want to pay the high prices will try other avenues. I agree the title of this post is misleading. We here have bengals so we know the challenges of the breed, but the medical conditions that Piper had are common in ALL cats. This was frustrating for Sandra, I know, but maybe a lesson has been learned. If you want a bengal, please deal with a reputable, registered breeder.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

While we're all struggling (especially me) to be constructive in this thread, here's my advice to someone thinking of getting a bengal kitten:

1. Go ahead and get pet insurance PRIOR to bringing your kitty home. The first year can be somewhat costly, and is likely to involve multiple trips to the vet. Check out Healthy Paws, they are really good.

2. When you first bring your kitty home, make an appointment with the vet, and start establishing a relationship there. If the vet you choose doesn't seem to have a good rapport with you and especially your kitty... dump the vet and find another. The longer you wait to do that, the harder it will be, and sticking with a mediocre vet is going to bite you again and again. If your vet is making disparaging remarks about your bengal, or looks at them suspiciously, or doesn't know what a bengal is... you know you went to a "dog vet". Find a "cat vet".

3. Make sure your budget does include enough to make some vet visits, especially during the first 6 month. There's a lot of little stuff (colds, parasites, poo problems etc) that most new kitten owners will run into.

4. If your kitten is symptomatic, for gosh sakes, take them to the vet. That's why you got pet insurance (as suggested above... right?). Don't try hair-brained home remedies.

5. Don't go into this on a whim. It's really tough on cats to be lugged around from home to home. Take it seriously. You are potentially adding a member to your family, and it is a lifetime commitment. It shouldn't be like buying a sweater, trying it on and returning it.

6. A lot of people are used to having adult cats, then they get a bengal kitten. There are different challenges with kittens (and especially bengal kittens). They aren't on your schedule yet, you need to take care of their high play needs, and you need to be resigned to the fact that you are likely going to get scratched up a bit during that first year while your kitty is learning to play. That and they can make a racket. If these aren't things you can or want to deal with... consider getting a lower-energy, adult cat. The shelters are full of such cats and they can make great, low-maintenance companions.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Brian, AWESOME advice. Your posts are always spot-on. Thank you for being a major poster in this forum!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:54 pm 

Hi PipersMom,

Bengals are no more susceptible to common feline health problems than any other (esp pure bred) cat. As with other cat breeds, it is important that potential owners do their research thoroughly re. any health issues that may be in the breed/certain lines and ask the breeder if they carry out the relevant health testing on their breeding cats. It is also important/preferable that potential owners can visit the breeder's cattery/home so that they can see the parents and the kittens - who should have clean ears, clear eyes, no breathing difficulties, firm stools etc... they should also be sociable/friendly with healthy appetites and fully vaccinated with pedigree papers and transferable registration papers. Both parents should be registered with a governing body (TICA, GCCF....) in the breeders name.

Upper respiratory/urinary tract infections/parasites etc... are absolutely NOT exclusive to the Bengal breed.

Any breeder should have a spacious and clean cattery with litters of kittens (ideally) kept separate from each other.

Thank you brianj12 especially, Sherry and the other members who have contributed to this thread with constructive and valuable advice :biggrin:

Moderator.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:45 am 
Bengal Kitten

Im going to add my (newbie) first reply as this has resonated quite hard with me. I have just lost my beautiful baby girl Ton-Tons to a car so forgive me for what I may say that may not be agreed with by som people. Before I bought my two beautiful Bengals, I researched and researched. My son was in love with the breed and we had just lost 2 over 16yo rescues( non pure breeds.)
I have always loved animals, cats especially. This was new territory to me and I AM cross for Shopping not adopting however when we saw them we both instantly fell in love and I was blindsided.
The breeder seemed lovely enough, showed me mum and their cattery and we still chat occasionally now. However here is the point I am trying to make:
My little girl was poorly from the off. She struggled with the transition to a new home even though with her sibling, she had diahorea freauently, on sofas, beds, and urinated on the beds and sofas too. I took her many times to the vets as I just couldn't understand what was causing her to be poorly other than perhaps sensitivity and anxiety. We battled on, she had medication for worms , was checked for UTIs. I gradually moved litterboxes over time so that no change was so great for her to cope with. She HID most the time but could be enticed out to play but cuddles were OFFLIMITS! I even changed my own perfume so it didn't remind her of a negativity of smelling me on those first visits to her birth home.
She was on dry kittie scienceplan so I started introducing chicken and rice and wet food meowing heads very gradually and also tried a tiny bit of raw. It took almost 6 months for her to start to poo solidly and without blood (blood was infrequent not continual every poo). Vets said it was a tear that due to holding in for stress kept ripping when she went. The wet food and chicken helped with this but I very rarely introduced any other food or treats due to her sensitivity. I never got angry or cross if she had an accident (and yes ofcourse it's frustrating) but she couldn't help it. We just battled on and I just wanted to help her. She then was spayed and the cycle continued again due to stress poor love. She recovered from that with love patience and time. We then discovered she had luxating patellars and hip problems. My little girls knee caps would just pop out of their sockets! How much was this poor girl to keep enduring! Back to vets, course of medication (insurance obviously ) Many people suggested I should take her back to the breeder as she was 'unhealthy'! Her sibling had NO probs whatsoever throughout this time. Yes she was expensive and no I didn't expect initially to have to keep taking her to the vets but as another poster said, you don't give up on your babies because they are poorly! We are not made of money and with an £85 excess on insurance she has not been cheap. But I didn't get her to bin her because she didn't quite add up to what I was expecting of a Bengal! She was my investment. An investment of love time and patience and to hopefully grow an inseparable bond of trust. Tonic started to shine a few months back, I mean really show a flourishing personality, a clever, intuitive, affectionate loving and sweet natured little beauty. She did things that blew me away (fetching a bauble, sitting for chicken treats, knowing when to sit back and let more dominant Aero have playtime but come to me when he was out for quality time!) you could see it in her eyes when she looked st me she knew what was going on. God I love that girl. So in tears I write this as I lost the most beautiful soul 2 days ago as a car ran over her and she crawled away and died without me knowing til she was gone! I am devastated - we went on such a journey together that I will never forget and to ever think of giving up on her, just blows my mind!!! I would never have received the unconditional love and trust she eventually was able to show me. It was just sadly so short lived and I am heartbroken.
Sorry for such a long post but I just felt I had to give my two pence worth if only to help other frustrated Bengal owners. The rewards really do outweigh the hardships. We are not rich but if you really cannot afford to look after any animal please just don't get one! I am blessed that Tonic came into our life and I know for sure we had a special bond due to the journey we BOTH went on with her being so poorly to start with.