It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Peeing Problem
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:31 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi there! My 3 year old Bengal has been acting out recently! She’s been peeing on clothes and whatever she can find. We have really cleaned our house to the point that there’s nothing out of place yet she’ll still find something to pee on. She has gone to the vet, no issues. Her litter box is the same one she’s always used and is clean! This morning she was trying to get to the window behind our bed and when I wouldn’t let her she peed on our bean bag chair, making eye contact with me while she did it. We love her so much and want to make her happy but at this point we’re at our wits ends! If anyone has any advice please let me know! Thank you!
Robyn and Khaleesi!

Post subject: Re: Peeing Problem
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to our forum. Since you've ruled out anything medical, then it is behavioral. The first thing I would do is add another litter box where she generally prefers to pee. This may be in an area you don't want to see a litter box, but it may be there only temporarily.

Secondly, make sure there is nothing on the floors or anything that might attract her to wanting to pee there. (Most love dirty clothes or clean laundry.) You might want to try a Feliway diffuser and see if that helps.

Know that even the slightest changes in the household can trigger something like this. A piece of furniture moved to a different place, new smell, new baby, etc.

The other thing is to make sure there aren't any other "kitties" roaming outside your home. Your kitty can smell them and peeing inappropriately through behavior may be a territorial thing. You may not see or smell another kitty, but your kitty can.

Lastly, make sure your home is completely catified. That means cat trees, lots of toys, cat beds all over the place. You may not want guests to know you have a cat, but I think my three cat trees and baskets of cat toys, and cat beds where the guests should be sitting -- gives it away.

And most importantly -- okay, so that last paragraph wasn't "lastly," do not punish your kitty. She doesn't understand punishment. She isn't doing this to punish you -- she is doing it for a reason. Once you find that reason and solve it, she should be fine. You are going to need patience and time. This is the #i issue with cat owners. Lots of ideas if you just Google them. I hope you will keep us informed. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:57 am 
Bengal Cat

Wipe up the mess with a paper towel and then use a disinfectant and odor neutralizer. Avoid ammonia-based disinfectants because your cat will think it's urine and continue peeing in that area. A cleaning spray that lists orange oil in the ingredients works well. Cats dislike and will avoid the smell of citrus.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

There are many products available specifically made for cat and dog urine. I use Nature's Miracle. These products are not expensive. As for the citrus??? Doesn't always work. Had a neighbor's cat that came around harassing my bengal when he was in his enclosure. We did the perimeter with orange slices and peels. Came out to see the other cat laying right next to them. Tried vinegar as well. Nothing worked until they sold their house and moved away!