It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Peeing problem
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:28 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi everyone

I have 3 cats, 2 of which are bengals. We only have a problem with one of them. The only one we’ve had since a kitten. She’s now 8 years old and has been spayed. Although all 3 cats have been spayed/neutered, our cats still attract Tom cats. My bengal is extremely territorial and pees everywhere. She ruined the sofa in our last house and is now slowly starting to wreck this house too. It’s causing so much stress in our household. And not an ideal situation when you have a toddler and a baby. I’ve tried feliway with no luck. Can anyone offer any advice as to why my cats are still attracting toms? This has being going on for 8 years too long now.

Thank you
Lauren

Post subject: Re: Peeing problem
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Do your cats go outside? Or are they indoor only and seeing the tom cats outside through windows or smell?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to our forum. Your kitties are not attracting the tom cats in a sexual nature. Your kitties have been fixed. No hormones are going out there. However, tom cats roam. And a cat's sense of smell is so much stronger than ours. These tom cats can "smell" your cats -- I'm sure you handle the cats and go outside with their scent. It doesn't take much of a scent. There are a few solutions to keep them away. If your cats do not go outside, then there are cat deterrents that you can purchase. Sprays that will not smell good to the cat or motion-sensor air canisters or water sprayers.

This could definitely be the reason your one kitty pees everywhere. However, I hope you have taken her to the vet to rule out any medical issue. I also hope you have at least FOUR litter boxes throughout your home. There are many articles on the internet on this issue and you need to read up on how some other people have solved the problem. But, it comes down to medical or behavioral. While these other tom cats don't seem to bother two cats, you could have one that is sensitive to one coming around. I would try to make sure these other cats do NOT come around your property. However, it is extremely difficult to keep outdoor cats from roaming.

Also, if your cats can SEE these other cats, then you need to block their line of sight to viewing these other kitties.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:36 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you for the replies. My cats are all outdoor cats, with a microchip cat flap to come and go as they please. We have no litter trays. I did try litter trays for years, and although she would use them, it didn’t stop her from peeing elsewhere in the house. She’s been to the vet and had no medical issues, vet thinks it’s anxiety and suggested Feliway. I totally agree that it’s anxiety related to tom cats and any other change that happens in our household. I’m just not sure how to help her.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have always had at least one litter box inside even if my cats were mostly outdoors! It may never get used, but it is there just in case. Inappropriate peeing is just difficult to stop without really working with the areas and the cat. The problem is when the cat goes just anywhere throughout the house. You will never keep up with it and the cleaning gets old after a while. Limit the cat's area in the house may help. Close doors to the rooms you do not want him in. This is probably not fair to your other cats who don't have this peeing problem.

You didn't mention the age of your kitties. I hope they have ruled out early kidney disease because that can start this behavior. The kidneys begin to malfunction and the urine has to go somewhere fast.

Hopefully, that is not the case. And hopefully your other two cats won't start this. Since you have multiple cats, I'm not sure motion-sensor air canisters would be helpful in keeping your problem cat away from the problem areas. It would keep all the cats away.

My cat has started peeing on a cat bed that the DSH uses and loves. I've washed the cover, put it together and back in place and he's peed on it again. So now I'll have to remove the bed completely and it may never go back in that spot. Trying to analyze a cat's behavior is difficult even for the professionals. All we can do is make it less attractive in those areas.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:04 am 
Bengal Cat

Sorry for the late response but may I know how was it going?