It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Peeing on couch randomly
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:25 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi guys. I am new to this site. Looking for some help from anyone who may have had issues like me. I rescued a 5 year old Bengal boy from a shelter. Beautiful all burnt marshmallow brown with a broken tail. He is one of the best cats I’ve ever encountered, and I’m sure a lot of people say that but he is like a dog. Can do anything you want with him, rub his tummy, play with his paws, wiskers, you name it. So one day I notice a smell from my couch. Thought it was just the old leather sectional just smelling but I found out by him peeing on it in front of me one day. Totally out of character from him. He always uses the litter box fine. Since there was a smell I’m guessing he’s been doing it for a while. So I initially thought it was his small litter box. I ended up buying him a litter robot. He was using that for a while then stopped using it. I don’t know why, figured it was the dome and maybe too small for him. He is a pretty large cat. So I returned that and bought him a really big litter box. He’s been great for months. All of a sudden I notice the couch was sticky again at the corner from him peeing again. Took him to vet, no UTI. He does get tummy aches here and there which I hear is normal for Bengals. I’ve tried to nail down his diet with Bengal cat hard food and some natural wet food(only a little bit). Most days he is fine, solid poop and pee. Drinks lots and lots of water. No stress at home, only animal I have and it’s just me there. He’s a very happy cat. Any help?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:40 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to our forum! Inappropriate peeing is the #1 complaint of cat owners. Since your baby does use the litter box, the peeing on your couch seems to be more of a territorial thing than anything else. The first thing is that the couch needs to be cleaned with an enzyme cleaner made specifically for cat urine. Your kitty will return again and again if there is still a smell there. And because a cat's sense of smell is 14 times stronger than ours, your kitty can smell the urine even if you can't. You may want to invest in a "black light" which can be purchased online or at any pet store (it's like $11) so you can check to make sure the area is completely clean.

The type of litter box and litter can also be the issue. Many cats do not like a litter box robot. Many do not want a covered litter box. And many single cats need more than one litter box. If your home is particularly large or you have multi-levels, means more litter boxes. If you are concerned about having a litter box out in the open, they make furniture which conceals the litter box.

I know this is an aggravating situation, but your baby is not doing this to spite you. There is a reason for this. It is one of the hardest things to figure out, but when you do, then your baby will not continue to use your couch.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:10 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you sherry for the information. I’ve tried cleaning the couch but unfortunately it has seeped inside of the couch and made it really hard to clean it all. I will have to try again with the enzyme cleaner; or get a new couch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:24 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

It may be that he didn't like something about his 1st box so used that spot and now the scent is there and keeps drawing him back after awhile.

I would try scooping the box 2-3 times a day, try and make it the most bestest area ever to use. Mine was having accidents for awhile next to the box and I did this for a few months because she could not resist a clean box and now I can scoop it normally again. You may want to try putting a box next to the couch and see if he uses that over the spot he likes to go.

the drinking 'lots and lots' of water is sort of worrisome to me. Diabetes and kidney disease both cause increased thirst in cats. Did your vet check for these conditions?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Cats do need water -- my bengal drinks very little water but he gets wet food. I would suggest the next time you take your baby to the vet that they run complete blood work and check the function of the kidneys and get a glucose level to check for diabetes. That's usually standard with blood work. Better to know that things are normal than not. Both kidney disease and diabetes will cause a cat to drink a lot of water and pee a lot of urine. And they are both common diseases in cats.

You would not be the first person forced to buy a new couch due to a cat -- but if you can't change this behavior, there is no point in getting a new couch as your kitty will think, "yay, something new for me to pee on."