It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:12 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi all,
Im new to the world of Bengals and so Im looking for a little advice.

A few days ago I bought two kittens from the same reputable breeder. One bengal and one savannah. Im absolutely over the moon with them! Bella my savannah is crazy and ultra confident, purring as soon as she arrived. Leo on the other hand is a very timid boy, but thats ok, it will take time and a bit of coaxing but I know he will get there.

The problem is that I do have two moggies already and so the breeder recommended keeping the two kittens in the kitchen together where there is a tiled floor so they arent tempted to wee on the soft carpet. Im trying to keep the two kittens separate so that the two kittens get used to us humans first and get to know eachother before introducing my other two cats. However its proving really difficult keeping my moggies away as they are curious of the kittens and I feel a bit mean keeping my moggies out of the kitchen with it being the centre of the home and the area in which my moggies ate their meals etc.

What Im trying to ask is, after a few days do you think it will be ok to start bringing the cats together for some time so they start to get used to eachother or would you wait longer? Bella isnt really bothered by my other two cats as she has come face to face with them on a few occasions when my moggies have managed to dart into the kitchen before Ive had chance to stop them. However Leo is still very timid and its him Im a bit concerned about.

Im trying really hard to juggle the new kittens whilst giving my other two cats the fuss and affection they need at the moment but Im feel like Im tearing myself in two. Last night it was raining heavily and so I locked my moggies in the living room with their litter tray (not ideal) and kittens in the kitchen with theirs. Im so looking forward to all the cats being ok together around the house so I dont have to keep them all locked in different rooms!

Did anyone else have no choice but to introduce the cats very quickly and they were all ok? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks X

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:19 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

When you are dealing with bringing together kittens and adult cats, the safety of the kittens is paramount. I currently have a cat who survived an unexpected attack by an adult male when they were introduced. It is never a good idea to rush this.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to our forum! Boy, you are overwhelmed right now. The main concern will be Leo. He simply has not gained confidence in his new environment. He is having a tough time adjusting being taken away from his mom and siblings and put into a totally new home with new cats. It is natural for your other cats to be curious about a new cat. The key is swapping out scents. Leo should be in a "safe" room where he has the opportunity to hide and de-stress. Every cat has a unique personality, so give in to Leo's.

A kitchen is not a place to confine cats. They need their own room where they can be 24/7 with food, water, litter box and beds. You feed your other cats in the kitchen, so their smell is there. There are food and human smells there, too. I can't say I blame Leo for being overwhelmed. The key is to get his confidence back. A safe room should be used for at least the first week, swapping out scents. Then you can begin to feed all cats in the same general area. Not next to each other, but in separate parts of the kitchen. You can also try to play with Leo (wand toys are great). However, if he wants to hide, that's okay. The more time you spend with him, talking softly with him, petting him when you can, the faster he will bond. Personally, I'm not sure I would have attempted to bring in a Savannah and Bengal into a household with two cats -- it is highly possible one cat will not get along with the others -- and it could be Leo.

All I can say is give this a lot of time and patience. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:24 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I put my two cats together quickly but I had rescued stray kittens and rehomed them and already knew my adult was super chill about other cats. I also picked out a very confident kitten. Even so, I never left them unsupervised and my kitten slept in her special room for the first two weeks-ish. I would definitely not have them all out unsupervised!

With 4 cats and 1 being shy, I would continue to take this slowly. Do you have a spare room you can confine them to instead? The kitchen can probably get busy and scary at dinner time.

BTW my boy was very timid too and grew into a very loving wonderful cat. He is my super chill cat with kittens, basically a pacifist. :P He would make a great surrogate mother lol Just give him all the patience and love he needs in the world and try to get him playing as it helps build confidence. Also he needs a cat tree and places to get up high, several with 4 cats! It will help them all feel safe.