It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Bella has devised a sure-fire way of getting me up at 6:15 - 6:30 (punctually, of course). Whereas I often go to bed at 1 or 2 and need a good 7 hours of sleep (so, yes, I moved my bedtime back last night; it should ideally be by 10:30). She comes into the bedroom and begins pricking the side of the mattress (my side) with her claws. This is a very irritating sound, of course, and the first time she did it, it got me up immediately. Whereupon she filed into the kitchen with Jamie in tow and me in their wake. I am losing sleep, and this is not good. I know my mistake was acceding to Bella's demands in the first place. What to do now?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

BTW: we have a sliding door that separates our sleeping quarters from the kitchen, living and dining rooms and guest bedroom. But it is very difficult to lock (I'm calling a locksmith tomorrow). For example early this A.M. I thought I'd locked it, but after the first wake-up call by Bella she awoke me again, having managed to open the door, and began pricking the mattress side again. I fed her a second time, fell back to sleep, but this is a bad situation. I suppose I could determine to get up myself at around 6:15 as a matter of course.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

My bengal wakes me up during the night, every night. But, he is a grazer and has to eat a little throughout the entire day and night. There is dry food out at all times for both cats, but Raiden throws it up as he has no teeth to chew it and break up the pieces, so he gets wet food. I would make sure Bella eats before you go to bed, although she will be hungry again by 6:30.

The one thing a bengal does not want you to do is to close them off. If I close a door, Raiden will open it. Our interior doors have lever handles and he can open them in or out. And I hate to shut him in any time. I do it when we are bringing in groceries as he will run through your legs out the door. But, outside of that, the entire house is open to him and he is generally in the same room as me or my husband and he sleeps at my feet at night. Bella needs to be with you as much as possible.

I don't like being woken up during the night either, but if you had a crying child, you would be getting up to see what was going on. You and I are both too old to be dealing with this, but we are. LOL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:27 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

My girl Pearl used to do this, the only way I found to break the habit was to play with her about an hour before bedtime then put some food down, if she woke me in the night I would ignore it no matter how hard it was but it has worked and both of mine sleep through the night and sometimes wake us a little early but I can live with that, most of the time they don't get up until my hubby gets up for work then I stay in bed and Pearl goes back to sleep and Magic my boy stays on the bed with me.

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:06 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sigh. All true. Well, I feed both Bella and Jamie at night. I'll also try playing with them a lot at night and we shall see. Yes: it feels like having a toddler in the house! BTW Bella has gotten a wee bit more vocal but this is not saying much. She has a heart-tugging high little new. But her growl is something else again! Quite wild and amazing. I suppose I should count my blessings. I think I'm probably fated to 6 AM feedings and for sure, I'm not at an age for that anymore!