It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:43 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi,

We are having an issue with our new Bengal kitten not pooping in his litter box. He will pee in it every time and pooped in it the first two days he was home but now he poops in other parts of the house.

He is 16 weeks old and we brought him home last Thursday. Due to where we live there are no breeders nearby so we picked him up and brought him home on an airplane. We set up a spare room in our house for him with a cat tree, toys, a bed, blankets, etc. we have another cat so figured this would give him a safe place and also limit his access to the house. The first couple days were fine, if he was out playing with us and needed the bathroom he would go back to his room and use the litter box.

His poop was firm and normal smelling the first two days and then after that it has softened and then become diarrhea a bit. Once this happened he stopped pooping in his litter box and started going in other areas of the house. I have a large open topped litter box for him and am using the same pine pellet litter as the breeder did. He is eating the same Orijen food that the breeder fed him for the most part. I think the issue with the diarrhea is caused by him eating the other cats food, a different brand. I am in the process of converting our other cat over to Orijen so the other cat has a mixture of Orijen and her old food. I believe this is the cause of the diarrhea, and the vet we took the Bengal to agrees at this point.

If he is closed in his room when he needs to poop he will use his litter box but if he is roaming the house he won't. He isnt doing it in the same area of the house every time, but they are all far away from his room. I'm guessing it is being caused by the diarrhea, which hopefully we go away in a few days once the other cat food is gone. In the meantime I'm going to put another litter box at the other end of the house and see if he will start using it.

Is there anything else that could be wrong or that I can do?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Usually, the contract with the breeder states you will take the kitty to a vet within 72 hours. If you haven't already, that is what I would suggest, along with a sample of the poop. It is common for a cat to get constipated or have diarrhea due to the stress of going to a new home and flying in a plane can trigger that. However, it is always better to be safe than sorry. Parasites are rampant in pets and can be in catteries. The fact the kitty is not using the litter box says something as most cats prefer a litter box.

It is always important to keep a new kitten on the same food the breeder was feeding -- at least until the kitty has settled completely in and then you can slowly transition to a different type of food.

I personally would take the kitty to the vet and have him checked out and tested for parasites. May not be anything, but at least you would get a medical history started on your kitten and you could then at least be relieved that it isn't anything serious. Ask your vet to also test for Tritrichomonas foetus, another parasite that is difficult to detect and treat.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:51 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks for the information.

We had him to the vet the day after he arrived and everything was good then. He was still having normal poop at that time. It started a couple days after that.

I think we have solved the issue not using the litter box for pooping. I picked up a second litter box and put it at the other end of the house where he had been going on the floor. So far he has pooped in it twice. I think the issue may have been either not enough time to get back to his litter box or that he didn't want to do it in the room where he is sleeping.

I've finished transitioning our other cat onto the Orijen so it is the only source of food now. If the diarrhea doesn't clear up over the weekend I will make an appointment for the vet on Monday.