It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:32 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi everyone!

I have a drama queen bengal (female, spayed) cat who is 1.5 yrs. I adopted her when she was just shy of a year old but she's been very affectionate! Unfortunately, I work all day and it seemed she was getting very antsy and lonely. We recently adopted a kitten (also female, spayed, 3 months, non bengal) and we've been slowly introducing them for around a month, starting with scent swapping, and moving to feeding on opposite sides of the baby gate.

They seemed to be doing great! They were eating and playing pawsies through the gate with no hissing or growling. We then decided to do a slow meet without the baby gates and everything went aggressive really fast. Our bengal immediately went on stalking mode and she ran and started attacking the kitten. Sometime when we hold the kitten, she also tries to jump attack onto us and the kitten.

I'm not sure what this means and how to keep going....it seemed fine with the gates, but once the gates came down, it seemed to get hostile really fast. Anyone experienced this before? Any advice would be great! We would love for them to get along.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:29 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi

are you shure your bengal lady acts agressive?

I had similar experience. When I introduced my 5 month old bengal to the group of two bengals and one other cat, especially the femal bengale chased the young one. But in our case, it was not agressive. The femal bengal used the young one to play "chase the rabbit" and the young bengal was the rabit.

It took nearly two years to bring them together and I cannot understand, why this male now likes this femal best. I did ckicker training with the young bengal to make him feel more secure and strong. I avoided all confrontation. I did let them meet on neutral theritory (the garden, fenced) and had the chasing cat on a leash, so it could not attack. For a long time, I had them separated, when I was out of the house and during the night. The young got the "farm cat" for company because it was friendly.

In your case it might be a problem, when you do not change the teritorries. Then bring the new cat into the teritirry of the old and it attacks. Neutral ground for meetings would be best.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sometimes the BEST thing is to not rock the boat! Why do some cat owners think adding a second cat is going to help the first cat. It doesn't always work out for the best. You have done the correct introduction process. And when the barriers are down -- then the attack starts.

As Khitomer said, what you see may look aggressive but may only be the "this is MY territory and I'm the boss of this house" action. The key is that you continue to get them together and you might try playing with them -- making the toy the distraction and not the other cat. It is very common for cats to chase each other, paw at each other, even attempt to bite each other, but unless there is growling or hissing or screaming, it's usually okay.

Sometimes this can take a while, so please be patient and not in a rush for them to be best buddies. That may never happen. I love all the pictures of two kitties snuggled up together. I have two and they do not do that and, in fact, swat and chase each other all over the house. My bengal loves to torment the other cat when he is trying to sleep. It's never ending trying to keep the peace -- and they've been together now for 2-1/2 years.

The main thing is that you get them to co-exist! Play time and treats can help. Just keep up with what you are doing and make sure they are separated when you are not around to supervise them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:16 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

My bonded pair (large bengal mix and tiny calico) used to play ROUGH. My neighbors said they could hear them yowling.

But there were clues that it was all in good fun. When I would put a stop to it they would both look at me like, what is your problem? I also only found scratches on the larger cat, never the small cat. There was trash talking and yowling, but never hissing. The little one never showed signs of being fearful, and she initiated a lot of the roughhousing. So after a period of being very watchful I stopped worrying and let them do their thing.