It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:51 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hello all bengal owners! I just got my little bengal kitten yesterday. I am currently at work and really worried about my bengal, if he's going to be okay. Right now he's confined in my room with his toys, food, water, and litter box. There are days where I'd be away from home for 14 hours.. I do have a roommate who is willing to check in on him once in a while. However I'm worried for when my roommate moves out in 2 months, he'd be stressed out on days where I'm away from home almost the entire day. Normally I'd be away for 8-10 hours on work days.

I'm not able to get a second cat at the moment per strata bylaws. I have a cat wheel currently (but not in my room). Any help/tips/advice?

Thanks!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

First of all, welcome to the forum. Secondly, CALM DOWN. You are not the first person to get a 12 week old bengal and leave it alone, although many new owners take a few days off (vacation) to spend time with the kitty and get it acclimated to the new home. Professionals do not recommend a bengal if you are going to be gone for a very long time -- and 14 hours is a very long time. Bengals are active, social and they do not sleep the 14 hours you will be away. Thus, I suggest some interactive toys (track toys with balls, treat dispensers that require a little work to get the treats. Have a tall cat tree in the room. Do bengals get bored? Absolutely!!! But most will adapt to a schedule. Make sure your home is bengal-proof because your little guy will be looking for trouble!!!

You will need to spend ALL your spare time with the little guy if you want him to bond with you and remain social. I'm not sure this is the ideal situation, but the fact that you are concerned means you truly care. Hopefully, you do have two days off a week where you can really spend time with the boy. And lots of play time when you are home.

Lastly, if you are truly worried, get a camera and install it in your bedroom, download the app or software, and check on your baby throughout the day and see how he spends the time. They are not expensive and you will have peace of mind.

Congratulations on your baby!