[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Reassurance and advice - settling in - 1 of 2 struggling
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:52 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I get the feeling that some vets have had bad experiences with bengals or expect them - a vet expecting a bad experience is probably not the best for making any experience as stress free as possible.

I know when I was in the vet and Ada gave her a warning hiss - I said "hey missy, that's not very polite!" and the vet just laughed, saying that it didn't even come close to being a properly misbehaving bengal.

So don't be afraid to shop around for a vet that you feel will make the visits as easy as possible.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Raiden's vets LOVE him!!! He did scratch the tech when she was trying to draw blood. But, he's really quite well behaved. They have a lot of bengals as patients and some are not as good as Raiden.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:38 am 
Bengal Cat

Going to register them with a different practice that I believe has separate waiting rooms for cats / dogs
The noise and smell of numerous hounds whilst kept waiting for 20 minutes can't have helped at all.

Will pay them a visit when not busy to check out what experience they have had with Bengals

That reminds me, I need to check out local catteries too for our holiday in the summer - I'm already dreading having to leave them and not been with us a month yet! It's 6 months away, plenty of time to prepare

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:27 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It's possible you may have a 'shy kitty', which my little domestic kitty is. She literally lived in my closet for the first two weeks, emerging only to use the littler box and sneak a few bites of food. She will socialize for short periods but then wants to go hide somewhere again.

I've learned to give her lots of hiding spots, like a small packing box in the corner, and space in a cupboard. When we go to the vet, she rides in a small box carrier and stays in it most of the time. If she has to be placed in a hutch we put a small box inside and place a cloth over the door.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:16 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Have you checked with your breeder to see if they will board your kitties while you are gone? Vets also have boarding facilities, with separate areas for dogs and cats. While most vets do have waiting rooms, we do have an emergency vet locally that will take the animals immediately to a holding area (cats and dogs are separated) so they are not traumatized by being in a waiting room with large dogs. I do prefer the large dogs as Raiden will hush up the second we get inside the vet's door. :biggrin: