[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Bengal Behaviour: Spraying Issues.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:07 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Update.

Having cleaned thoroughly the sofa they had eliminated on, Gilbert and George have been kept out of the room for a week. I cleaned the whole room, removed their litter tray, used UrineOff on all the surfaces, then after a week, I used Felliway on the surfaces and a diffuser before letting em back in the room, supervised.

We had a fun hour of playing on the sofa and climbing in and out of boxes.

I then took them out and closed the door again and gave them a treat of some cat milk.

This morning I let them in, again supervised, and after some sniffing about Gilbert started to squat on the sofa, I lifted him off and onto his litter tray before anything happened. Five minutes later he was back in the same spot, squatting and only had time to lift him onto the floor before he started peeing.

They have been so well behaved this week, no accidents anywhere, frequent use of their trays and no visitors to stress them out .

I think it's going to have to be a bit longer than a week before I let them back in the room.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:06 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

If it's the same spot ot probably still smells like urine. Even if it does not smell to you, they have a much stronger sense of smell. You should thoroughly soak the spot with Urine Off.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:35 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks Suki - I've used a whole .75 litre spray on the sofas and cushions. I've also just taken delivery on. 3.5 litre top up bottle!

I think a soaking every day for the next few days, and then keep them out of the room for a month, and try again!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Unfortunately I know how difficult this is. Our cat had the peeing on the couch issue some time ago. No idea what started it or what ended it. But from time to time we'd have pee on the couch. We eventually moved and threw the couch away and didn't have issues since then.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:59 am 
Bengal Kitten

Ok, this seems to have taken a turn for the worse.

All the peeing issues had been upstairs, in rooms now closed off to the two boys.

Downstairs they both sleep on separate sofas, on blankets that I have made beds for them from. George sleeps on one sofa and yesterday I spotted that he had moved from his normal end of the sofa to the other, there was a big wet mark at the end he normally sleeps on - and I suspect his brother! Is that fair?

They run about and play fight, George, although smaller, appears to be the domininant one, and I think Gilbert has then pee'd on George's bed.

I've decided a trip to the vet is in order, just to get the all clear on any infections.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:22 pm 
Bengal Kitten

The vet gave Gilbert and George the all clear, congratulated us on how healthy and well behaved they were on the examining table.

I got quite emotional and had a little cry, they had been mewling quite a bit in their carry cases, just happy they were ok. The vet reinforced much of whats been said here, so we bought a third litter tray, and some plug-in Felliway and gave them some treats when we got home.

I've put a large covered tray in the living room, and after a little investigation they started to use it - in fact they seem to have forgotten they have two more trays upstairs!

They were so much more relaxed last night and today, back to cuddling us, and climbing on the sofa between us, and no 'accidents' for 48 hours now.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:39 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Well, that didn't last long!

After two weeks of being kept out of the bedroom - and us treating and cleaning the quilt and sheets,with a plug in felliway, the boys had two clean nights of sleeping with us.

Then George wet the bed!

So back out of the room they go.

They also had a problem in our office - one or both of them had gone on the sofa - again this has been treated and steam cleaned, checked with the UV torch and cleaned again. I covered the sofa in plastic, and brought the boys back in. Sat on the sofa for a couple of hours feeding them treats, stroking them and getting them to roll about as much as possible, when George (again! - although I caught him, I'm sure Gilbert has been to blame previously) squatted down and let go. :(

No further accidents downstairs, no other littering - I'm afraid there must be a scent that I've not been able to get rid of with seven litres of Urine Off. I feel the only thing left for me to do is to leave it a month or more before trying to introduce them back into the rooms. At least they have the run of the rest of the house!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:35 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Wow, just looking at those dates, makes me realise how long the problem went on for!

Shortly after that last post I stopped the cats coming into our office, for about two months, cleaned and steamed and treated the sofa.

I then covered the sofa in some waterproof sheets, and some cheap shower curtains (not waterproof, so I wouldn't use them again), and let the boys back in.

This time my intention was to ignore them, clean up after them, but to live through it, and not stress them out. It took another two months before they stopped. I moved another litter tray into the room, and cleaned up after them. This would have been October, I thought it would be time to allow them into our bedroom.

The weeing started again - I must have spent £300 on dry cleaning in the month of November alone, two duvets, a mattress cover - the boys liked to crawl in, under the quilt, and go!

Again, I freaked out, and put the boys out of the room, closing the door, and put a bit of thought into it. I bought two massive 3m square picnic blankets, a nice tartan wool top, with a plastic waterproof underside, and I used this between the mattress and the sheets, and on top of the duvet - it was the most uncomfortable bed I have ever been in - but it allowed the boys into the room, and again, not stressing them out, within a month they had stopped.

We have been urine free (other than their trays!) for four months.

I want to say thank you to all the help and advice I got from here.

Trying not to stress the cats out is the best advice, and also being patient - as with others on here it took six months for the boys to settle down in their new home, but now I can't call it a home without them!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:41 am 
Bengal Kitten

I'm not sure if I'm having spraying issues that are territorial in nature or if my new kitten is peeing because of behavioral issues. So far, my five-month-old kitten has peed out of the litterbox 3 times:

1) I got home from work, changed, and very quickly went out for a run. Normally, I try to give at least an hour with my kitten before leaving again, but I was losing daylight. I then came home, made dinner, and showered. My kitten kept following me with his toys. While I was brushing my hair, just before I was going to start playing with him, he crouched right by the toilet and peed.

2) I came home from work early, and after about 30 minutes, put my kitten in his car carrier to go to my boyfriend's house. He's made this trip at least five times, among other car trips, just fine. This time, he peed in the carrier within 5 minutes of leaving the house. Granted, I did not put him in the litterbox before we got in the car, but I never did before. We were travelling earlier in the day than we usually do.

3) Sometime while I was at work today, the kitten peed behind the toilet again. I did not work any longer day than usual. If anything, I was home sooner than later.

I'm not sure what to make of this - he continues to pee in the litterbox (I know because I scoop it every 1-2 days). What could be behind this sudden change? I have noticed he's drinking more during the day (probably in the last two weeks, I've noticed), but he's not meowing or anything when he uses the litterbox that makes me think he's in pain/is having urinary tract issues. Any suggestions? They'd be MUCH appreciated!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:59 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Many thanks for this post. We have a beautiful bengal boy of six months who has been neutered a couple of weeks ago. He urinates occasionally on our bed and on our couches. We are washing everything immediately and encouraging use of his litter box. :redface:

One other thing he does that we are trying to discourage is curtain climbing. It was not so bad when he first arrived and was tiny, but now that he is 4.2 kg curtain climbing is causing damage. :smile:

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

PS He is a wonderful affectionate adventurer and we love him dearly!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:08 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Really old thread - please start a new one with your own problems else it all gets very confusing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:05 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

My work colleague recently took on a rescue female Bengal. She is neutered and is around 14 months old. She uses her litter tray during the day which is cleaned straight away but at night she wees anywhere but her tray! On the bench, in the bath, bath mats etc.. Any ideas?

Edited to start a new thread!

Hestia Gone but not forgotten, RIP sweet princess.
Zeus Gone but not forgotten, RIP big fella, our Nookie bear.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:19 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi,

I hope someone can offer some more information re spraying issues. I am at the end of my tether at the moment. I have a male bengal, he is 8 years old. I have had him since a kitten and he is neutered. In the last year he has been spraying all over my kitchen, including next to where he eats and all over the water dispenser I have for him. I have another female ginger cat who has been with us for about 4 years. The two of them don't particularly like each other but have learned to live together and tolerate one another. He's spraying started long after I introduced her. I have recently put in a microchip cat flap as I thought other cats may be coming into the kitchen of a night but this hasn't solved the problem as yet. I clean his wee away with appropriate cleaner and was also told to spray the areas with surgical spirit? He has been checked by the vet who says he is in good shape and advise me he is stressed......but stressed about what? I have also rubbed his scent from his cheeks and rubbed in the areas he does it but he still persists. The only thing I haven't tried yet is the Feliway plugs which I am going to get tomorrow, but was just wondering if anyone can think of anything else I haven't tried?

Thanks for reading.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:01 pm 
Bengal Cat

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next