[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - 3 yrs old male with bizarre peeing issues
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:06 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hello,
Iam new to this forum. I have two Bengals-Naiya almost 5yr old female and Sebastian almost 4yr old male. Sebastian has been having issues with peeing outside the litterbox since September, and when I say we have tried everything, I really mean we have trie everything-even contacted a behaviorist who seems somewhat stumped. Hx of things tried and in place:
-we have 3 litter boxes-large clear storage containers, no lids etc.
-tried feliway x
-tried soliquin x
-tried less litter, more litter etc.
-tried dr. Elsey's litter attract-both the litter and the separate additive
-rule out medical issues with 2 vets
-tried placing box where he wanted to pee, peed next to it instead.
-started on low dose of amitriptylene transdermally in November, worked for 3 weeks and then stopped working. Increased dose last week 10mg
*finally, the one break threw we have had is placing an empty litter box, now 2, in the spot where he was peeing and he is using the empty! Much better then using the floor but empty can be used forever... have tried slowly adding litter, like less than a handful to one box, and 2nd box still empty. He does not want to use the one with any litter and will choose the empty. Its not a litter aversion, as he has no problem jumping into the regular litter boxes with litter that other cat uses and digs, poops and spends time covering so he has no issue with touching the litter. It's really strange. Even more odd is that he likes to lick pee of the sides of box??? And even attempted to tasted some litter one day. Im at my wits end except that he is at least willing to use an empty box at this point. Any ideas? Anyone else's cat like to lick urine? eat litter?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to our forum. Your particular situation is strange, to say the least. Licking urine would fall under PICA, which is when a cat licks or eats something that is really unusual (mine loves to lick plastic bags). I would probably be at my wits end in your case. Not being able to solve a behavioral issue drives owners crazy.

Initially, it sounded like an aversion to a particular type of cat litter. have you tried pellets or a different type (not brand). They aren't really cat litters like we think of them. I think many breeders use pine. You just need to try something different and keep trying until you hit on something. I'm guessing this issue is Sebastian's only and your female is fine with her litter box habits.

Google "PICA in Cats" and read up on the articles that come up. It is strange and probably dangerous for your kitty to be eating cat litter. Even the urine surprises me considering the odor.

You've just got a peculiar bengal. There are some out there. I hope others will chime in on this topic and offer other suggestions.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:58 pm 
Senior Bengal

I’m fairly new on this site and don’t have a lot of experience tho I have had two bengals.
But I would agree with sherry, it could jut be the texture or feeling or even smell of the litter.
Perhaps he’s not finding it adequate enough to bury his business. Smell could be a factor too. He may just not like the smell. I use yesterday’s news. They are pellets. Both my bengals like it. I find it’s a good litter for smell and it doesn’t track through the house either. Big bonus!!! Litter can be messy!! Perhaps start with one with no scent, pellets come with both sceneted and non scented. Even non sceneted works great! Good luck!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:02 pm 
Bengal Kitten

thank you both for your replies...to re-cap from my post, it's NOT a litter aversion as he has no problem using a litter box with litter in it to poop-he will dig and will spend time covering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:08 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It could be a litter aversion for peeing in the litter box. There is an aversion somewhere or he would be using the litter box for peeing as well as pooping. It's really an odd situation, but every situation has a solution somewhere. You just have to find it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:01 pm 
Bengal Kitten

i have been trying to find a solution for months and even behaviorist doenst know what to make of it

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:40 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

A few ideas and thoughts:

1. It sounds like you do actually have a solution. So you might have to call that a "win" and move on, as awkward as it is. If the location of the box is a problem for you, you can try moving it, just a really small amount each day towards where you'd rather it be, until it's in a more acceptable location. Similarly, you might do the same with litter. Maybe add just a tiny bit of litter, then more and more.

2. Thoughts on possible explanations for the behavior:
a. Cats often don't like to poo and pee in the same box. So it may be simply an issue of too few boxes. This of course is especially dicy when multiple cats are involved.
b. Similarly, he may be objecting to the fact that there is somehow a territorial thing between he and the other cat regarding boxes. Cats of course use pee to "mark" as well as urinate, so perhaps he just needed his own "pee" box that didn't "belong" to the other cat.
c. Along the same lines, some cats are just very very fussy about the cleanliness of the box. Perhaps the other boxes are just not meeting his needs for urinating in a clean box.
d. The one thing you didn't mention that you tried was trying different kinds/brands of litter. Perhaps there is an issue there. Especially with the also chewing on the litter. Maybe you can buy another "experimental" box and try different kinds and brands of litter to see if you can find one that he'll use but not want to eat, or perhaps also want to pee in.

Sometimes these things are kind of inexplicable, and you may not ever have a true answer that you can grok. So perhaps you just have to accept it at face value, and then maybe keep experimenting in addition to making the awkward solution that you've discovered, work.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:56 pm 
Bengal Kitten

its a partial solution, can't use empty box forever. I have tried adding small amount of litter gradually, prefers empty still. I have tried different litters, doesn't matter. He has no problem with the litter to poop. He has no problem peeing an pooping in same box and always had 3 boxed to choose from, currently has the 3 and two empties. Nothing i can do about the sharing with female cat bc she uses them all. I always cleaned 2x day and currently cleaning 4-5x day so thats not it either.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Bit of a random suggestion but could you cut up puppy pads and put them in the bottom of the empty litter box....at least they are absorbent. I would try different litter also. He may be happy to poop in his present litter but he might like to pee in a different kind. Bengals are truly high maintenance at times :rolleyes:

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:24 am 
Bengal Kitten

I have used pee pads-he would use.
And to the person who comment about taking a step back and trying sample steps.. i have tried everything and small steps for months. And he never had an issue for almost 4 yrs peeing in this litter but depsote that we have tried other litters and he won't use. I am leaving this forum bc this is just making me more upset then helping. I have owned cats for 25 years, i'm not a novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:42 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well at least we now know why the behaviorist, nor anyone else has been able to help you. Bye Bye. :bye: